Presale/General Sale Discussion - Australia/New Zealand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It hasn't even been 24 hours for these 2nd show sales, well except for Auckland. I remember reading an article about Madonna's last tour and that Live Nation added a second show to one of her stadiums because the first show finally sold out after 3 days.

Typically though, if you want to play a second show in a venue, you need to sell the first one out rather quickly, like within the first 24 hours. This becomes even more important when the capacity of the venue is rather large. In U2's case with 360, the capacities are so large that the first date MUST sellout rapidly(within 24 hours) in order for there to be enough excess demand to sellout another show.

Its one thing when selling out another show only requires selling 18,000 tickets. Its definitely another when selling out another show requires selling 90,000 tickets.

I still wouldn't rule out Melbourne III yet, but I'm not getting my hopes up either.

Yeah, this. It is pencilled into the itinerary, so they can add it if they think the demand is there.

I'm suspecting sales needed to go a bit faster yesterday for it to be a realistic possibility. Melbourne did better than the other cities, but probably not by enough. Kind of surprising how slowly some sections, especially GA, have sold after the way the first gigs shot out the door. If GA and at least one of the more expensive sections were exhausted, I'd think a third gig would be looking more likely than it is right now.

Still, it makes you wonder. Did they estimate poorly? Surely they'd have wanted the Friday and Saturday slots to be used ... but hey, they've managed to sell out a Wednesday night, so I guess they don't care.

Maybe the diehard fans went in hard on the first show and the RZ and cheap seats for the second show, leaving some dubious over-priced tix for the general public. (like the $299 seats under the level 2 concrete overhang besides the Etihad stage).

Plus maybe caually interested fans think "what else is there to see?" beyond the 360 Blu-ray. Besides a setlist change, there won't be any visual surprises beyond what has already been seen on the DVD or the hundreds of YouTube videos out there. Unless Jay-Z gets up for a duet maybe?

I just hope they mix it a bit and play more classic older stuff like The Electric Co, October and even 40. Wishful thinking I guess.:hmm:

Just because nearly Everything is listed as avaliable wont mean nobody will be at the shows. I would just about cancel plans for having 3 gigs in melbourne though.

out of control in the 2nd slot instead of new year's day/i will follow

All GAs seem to be gone for Melbourne II finally :ohmy:

Edit: checked them all

Melbourne 2
$349.5 Red Zone sold out
$299.9 Level 1 multiples
$299.9 Level 2 multiples
$229.9 Level 1 multiples
$229.9 Level 2 multiples
$174.9 Level 1 singles
$174.9 Level 2 singles
$174.9 Level 3 multiples
$109.9 Level 3 sold out
$99.9 GA sold out
$39.9 Level 1 sold out
$39.9 Level 2 sold out
$39.9 Level 3 sold out

just quickly, i plan to ignore setlists until the Melbourne gig, so if you could all please use spoiler tags that would be great. or y'know, one of the eight thousand threads dedicated to setlists. :)

Just because nearly Everything is listed as avaliable wont mean nobody will be at the shows. I would just about cancel plans for having 3 gigs in melbourne though.

i hope my over-enthusiasm on LN's facebook didn't have anything to do with it :lol:

i haven't got any tickets yet either.

just quickly, i plan to ignore setlists until the Melbourne gig, so if you could all please use spoiler tags that would be great. or y'know, one of the eight thousand threads dedicated to setlists. :)
yes, actually keeping the discussion to the set list forum would be preferable. while of course the occasional "ooh i hope they play [song]" is fine, if anyone wants to start a full discussion about what songs should/shouldn't be played, that forum's the most appropriate. :)

Well that's a relief . . . now do we think there will be a number 3 or should I start begging / bribing peeps for GA's to numbero deux in our fine southern state?? :hmm:

Looks like Melbourne III will be a non-starter, unfortunately.

Come on U2, prove me wrong.

I was level 1 up the back at melb 1 and it was awful and saw hardly anything of the concert. For melb 2 i was level 3 on the side it was awesome and they were $99. I went for the same seats this time they are behind the stage but on the side for $40. I did see the expensive seats for up the back but didn't see the point in paying that much money for level 1 seats with an awful view.

Well crap. I officially suck at getting tickets for my family members... they can get their own next time. *L*

They could probably bring up better spots for Melb II now, for that matter. Le sigh.

Well crap. I officially suck at getting tickets for my family members... they can get their own next time. *L*

They could probably bring up better spots for Melb II now, for that matter. Le sigh.

Yeah but you never know what your going to get, and if you threw them back and tried again you may have got worse, or none at all. But hey they are going to a U2 concert, just to be inside the same stadium as them is a privledge and a dream, for me anyway lol. So i'm sure they'll love it no matter where they are.

Yeah, this. It is pencilled into the itinerary, so they can add it if they think the demand is there.

I'm suspecting sales needed to go a bit faster yesterday for it to be a realistic possibility. Melbourne did better than the other cities, but probably not by enough. Kind of surprising how slowly some sections, especially GA, have sold after the way the first gigs shot out the door. If GA and at least one of the more expensive sections were exhausted, I'd think a third gig would be looking more likely than it is right now.

Still, it makes you wonder. Did they estimate poorly? Surely they'd have wanted the Friday and Saturday slots to be used ... but hey, they've managed to sell out a Wednesday night, so I guess they don't care.

I agree that Melbourne III will probably not happen. Sales are just too slow.
What I don't understand is the decision to wait with announcing additional shows. As soon as the first show sold out, a second should have been announced, to make us of the moment. See Perth. Same counts for other cities this Tour. At the moment of sales everybody is trying to get tickets. People probably also missed the announcement of additional shows?

I remember 3 Dutch shows for Elevation and Vertigo selling out within an hour. Two 360 shows selling out, also within an hour (the first in 10 minutes). For all shows extra tickets got available weeks later. This was also announced on the radio everywhere, but those tickets were on sale for weeks...

I STILL haven't recieved any tickets yet. Should I be worried now???

Nope. Maybe if they haven't turned up in 2-4 weeks or so. But they have your transaction info, so if they don't turn up by then you can always ring them.

Mum washed my Vertigo Tickets (Don't Ask!, I've no idea how she managed that) a couple of months before the gigs, and ticketmaster replaced them.

My Melbourne I tickets arrived today through regular post.

Do Ticketek give you enough advertisment brochures in the envelope with your tickets?! so that's why they have such high postage costs.. :tsk: nah I know it's not but I've never been sent a heap of ads with tickets before..so weird but not unexpected

well it's been 2 weeks tomorrow since i bought the tickets via registered post and still havn't recieved them, thankfully i paid the extra for insurance in case they go missing.

Melbourne II ticket arrived today just a day after the Melbourne I tickets :ohmy: so be on the lookout.

For those still waiting I assume they send out tickets based on a dartboard various factors we're not privy to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom