Post your rigs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They're mostly standard tuning, except for the low B which occasionally gets dropped to A, as we're currently doing Citizen Erased as a cover. As for the Sustainiac, I'm normally used to Fernandes Sustainers but they don't do anything for 7 string. Plus from what I can gather they've become kinda flaky in their business dealings, so I guess Sustainiac is picking up business at their expense.

Installing a Sustainiac is a lot easier then a Sustainer. If you're not afraid to solder or know somebody who can. Like I said, the Sustainer installation guide only covers installations in a Strat or a Les Paul. Anything else and you're on your own. The Sustainiac Nazi on the other will give you detailed instructions based on the information that you will give him.

As for modding a guitar, lots of pickup manufacturers have good support pages on their sites with detailed PDF's for a shit ton of wiring variants. Do you have anything in mind?

About mods, I'm thinking of just replacing pups and pots; about pots, I'm not too sure but pickups will mostly be something like Lace Sensor gold for front/middle and something hotter on the bridge (can be LS blue but could be red? not too sure as that could be too Billy Corgan/Jonny G. sounding)

Jonny Greenwood uses a dual red lace sensor in the bridge position. Which is quite hot. I have tried a single red lace as a bridge pickup once (I even still have it if you want it), but I didn't really like it. I prefer the dual red lace. A blue as the bridge pickup, that I've never tried. They're usually used as neck pickup. I tried a silver/red dual once as a bridge pickup, which I liked quite a lot. Of course to mount a dual your guitar would have to have been routed for that. Which it might. While vintage style strats are usually still routed for s/s/s, h/s/h routing seems to be quite common these days as Fender knows people like to change pickups. And on the other opposite of the spectrum your guitar might have one big pickup cavity underneath the pickguard. Also known as the 'bath tub'. If you don't have to do any routing all you need is get a new pickguard, the right pickups and you're set. And pot upgrade sets are easy to find as well.

I couldn't really come up with good Lace pups that's hotter than Gold but still classic sounding. I know Blue isnt really used on the bridge but it says it's blues sounding.

Only time Ive seen Lace Sensor red on the bridge was Billy Corgan's original strat during Mellon Collie era. it was certainly ear piercing sounding. he now chooses dimarzio pups ( i am actually slightly attracted to their humbucker-in-single-coil-size thing, like Chopper).

regarding extended range guitar, have you tried fanned frets and recent reincarnation of headless guitars that's taking (metal) guitars by storm?

I'm not a big fan of those guitars. Maybe I'm an old fart who prefers what he knows, but I prefer the classic shapes. New sounds, fine. New guitars...., nah. But then again I can't shred worth shit, my soloing style being more influenced by The Edge and Tom Morello then Steve Vai and Yngwie Malmsteen. It would probably be cool to be able to shred, but not enough for me to start practicing 8 hours a day to reach that level. I'd rather toy with interesting gizmos instead. As for low end, that 7th string is low enough for me. All that djent noodling...., well, I thought metal sounded heavy enough back in the 80's (not glam or hair metal though), before they all started to tune down their guitars. Playing one or two songs with a detuned guitar will give it some added heavyness, because of variety, but playing all of them like detuned basically levels the playing field again.

Despite of my initial hate, all of those (beautiful/tacky) Carvin guitars are really attracting me now, though i can't shred nor tap like madman. I have heard that some of those modern guitars have different neck shape thats really conformable in our hands.....but too bad, there often too expensive and arent available in every place (on facebok, one time, this youtuber/amazing guitar player named Sarah Longfield recommended me buying these Strandberg guitars which are headless and intricately designed though I have said that I'm not into shredding and all that). Maybe if I could try out i might really like it, not too sure. They DO look weird, though. In addition, many of them have god awfully high gain pickups, which I never liked.

Anyway, do you really use 7th string integrally or is that just an cool addition that just adds thump to the bass end? lots of people like Steve Vai kinda incorporated 7th string into his shredding but most people seem not to do that, so.......

About heaviness in metal, you seem to have similar opinion as ben Weinman, guitarist from Dillinger Escape Plan, who plays in standard tuning though he plays pretty chaotic math metal.

also about that bathtub thing for start body, I have seen Fender doing it, but I'm not sure my model has one. if mine has it, then i don't have to really worry about putting hum bucker.

Last edited:
Update for 2010:

Yamaha acoustic FG410
Yamaha acoustic FG402 (for slide)
Yamaha RBX170 bass
Some kind of Romanian 3/4 scale classical guitar
Rogue HH ash electric
2002 MIM Telecaster Standard
1999 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
2008 Squier Duo-Sonic
2007 Epiphone ES-175
Gretsch Americana 3/4 scale steel string acoustic
Rogue Mandolin
Rogue 12 string acoustic
Rogue lap steel
Yamaha YDD60 drum pad
Tamborine
Bodhran
Egg shaker
Hohner harmonicas
M-Audio MIDI USB keyboard
Pocket POD
Zoom G2.1u effects pedal
Line6 Verbzilla pedal
Vox AD15VT amp
Ebow
Kazoo
A fair assortment of mics and a mixer

I also have a Les Paul build kit and a pair of P-Rails that I'm going to put in it when my brother and I get a chance to build it.

Been a while since I updated this. Years ago I added an Epiphone Firebird VII, and I have another Vox amp, a small Yamaha amp, and a Pod X3 Live.

But the biggest change by far is the Sho-Bud LDG pedal steel that my wife bought for me as a complete surprise for my birthday last month.

Holy crap.

Attachments

• Sho-Bud LDG.jpg
    Sho-Bud LDG.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 11
dammit i knew i was confusing these 2. i probably meant pedal steel/gigantic one that Daniel Lanois plays pretty often.

Or invest in some good pedal board infrastructure. Like a Pedal Train board. Or one of those uber duber power supplies. Or one of those fancy looper/switchers. It's tempting to think in terms of pedals, but what good are the best pedals when they're stuck on cheap ass boards, or worse, strewn lose upon the floor? Or powered by cheap ass power supplies? Or you have to do a lot of tap dancing? Never forget the military saying: amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics.

thats why I'm so keen to buy something like Mobius from Strymon, which has many modulation effects rather than pedals that just do one thing. when I'm jamming at home, just trying effects out and all that, tap dancing is definitely something i don't want to do. but again, I'm not doing music professionally so expensive pedal probably isn't something I SHOULD invest in.

that reminds me, i actually need good power supply so that I can kiss this 9V battery that's sitting on my desk for a year a goodbye. (i actually bought power supply for Boss pedal so thats taken care of already).

Last edited:
Updated Guitar and Bass guitar list

GUITARS:

1. 2006 Epiphone Les Paul Standard 'Music Rising' - Black w/Music Rising logo
  2. 2112 Fender Cabronita Telecater MIM (upgraded with TV Jones Classics) - Blonde finish
  3. 2004 Fender Telecaster Custom MIJ - Black finish
  4. 2011 Gibson VOS Les Paul SG - Heritage Cherry finish
  5. 2012 Gibson Non-reverse Firbird III reissue w/(3) P-90 p'ups - Tobacco finish
  6. 1976 Gibson Limited Edition Explorer - Mahonany natural finish
  7. 2013 Rickenbacker 660/12-string - Ruby finish
  8. 2002 Rickenbacker 330/6-string - Burgundyglo finish
  9. 2015 Taylor 360e SEB - 12-string
  10. 2015 Taylor 320 - 6-string
  11. 2002 Taylor 306B 'Big Baby' - 6-string - natural finish
  12. 1992 Washburn EA20 Woodstock Festival 6-string - tobacco finish

BASS GUITARS:
  1. 2013 Warwick RockBass Star Bass - Gold High Polish
  2. 2014 Warwick RockBass Adam Clayton Signature - Cream White Polish

AMPS:

1. Vox AC15CC - I got it from Mick Normoyle of The Unforgettable Fire. He'd upgraded the speaker. I'm not 100% sure what is in it but it sounds great.Vintage uncertain.
  2. Fender Blue Jr III w/Western Tooled Tolex w/ Fender Special Design 12" Lightning Bolt speaker by Eminence speaker.

Updated Guitar and Bass guitar list

GUITARS:

2. 2112 Fender Cabronita Telecater MIM (upgraded with TV Jones Classics) - Blonde finish
  5. 2012 Gibson Non-reverse Firbird III reissue w/(3) P-90 p'ups - Tobacco finish

BASS GUITARS:

Guitars
Nash S-63 with Fralin Vintage Output Split Blades. Modified with treble bypass and blender pot for 7-way switching.
Fender American Telecaster with Fralin Vintage Output Split Blades.
Fender Made In Mexico Telecaster '72 Thinline RI with Seymour Duncan P-Rails.
Martin Made In Mexico Custom X Series with Fishman electronics.

Amps
Morgan AC40 Deluxe head with matching 1x12 cab featuring a Celestion Gold speaker.
Kemper Profiling Amp with profiles from The Amp Factory and Michael Britt.

Pedals
Disaster Area Designs DPC5
Origin Effects Cali76 Compact Deluxe
JHS Morning Glory (v3)
Earthquaker Devices Dunes
Spaceman Aphelion
Strymon Mobius
Strymon Flint
Strymon Deco
Strymon Timeline
Strymon BigSky

Power
Voodoo Labs 4x4 and Digital
Furman Power Factor Pro

Additional
SIG Custom 16x24 pedalboard with latching cover
All patch cables by Disaster Area Designs, mini plugs and solderless
All guitar cables by Mogami with Neutrik
MacBook Pro with Logic Pro X
Apogee Duet 2iOS
Shure SM57
Blue Microphones Bluebird
MicroKorg
Melodica
Fender Mandolin

Or invest in some good pedal board infrastructure. Like a Pedal Train board. Or one of those uber duber power supplies. Or one of those fancy looper/switchers. It's tempting to think in terms of pedals, but what good are the best pedals when they're stuck on cheap ass boards, or worse, strewn lose upon the floor? Or powered by cheap ass power supplies? Or you have to do a lot of tap dancing? Never forget the military saying: amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics.

good post :up:

UPDATED GEAR LIST

1. EFFECTS
  2. Boss OD-2r - Turbo Overdrive
  3. Boss SD-1 - Super Overdrive
  4. Digitech 'Synth Wah' - Envelope Filter
  5. Digitech 'WH-1 Whammy' - Whammy pedal
  6. Electro-Harmonix 'Clone Theory' - Chorus/Vibrato
  7. Electro-Harmonix 'Pog 2' - Poly Octave Generator
  8. J.Rockett Archer - Overdrive
  9. Korg SDD-3000 - Delay pedal
  10. Lovepedal OD-11 - Overdrive
  11. TC Electronic 'Dark Matter' - Distortion
  12. TC Electronic 'Ditto' Looper
  13. TC Electronic 'Flashback' - Delay
  14. TC Electronic 'Flashbackx 4' - Delay
  15. TC Electronic 'MojoMojo' - Overdrive
  16. TC Electronic Sub Up - Octaver (Just orderred. Awaiting delivery)
  17. TC Electronic 'T2' - Reverb
  18. TC Electronic 'Vortex' - Flanger

GUITARS:

BASS GUITARS:

AMPS:

1. Vox AC15CC - I got it from Mick Normoyle of The Unforgettable Fire. He'd upgraded the speaker. I'm not 100% sure what is in it but it sounds great.Vintage uncertain.
  2. Fender Blue Jr III w/Western Tooled Tolex w/ Fender Special Design 12" Lightning Bolt speaker by Eminence speaker.

^OD11 is my favorite Lovepedal. Well, the Amp11. But it's pretty much the same thing but with a boost.

^OD11 is my favorite Lovepedal. Well, the Amp11. But it's pretty much the same thing but with a boost.

:up:

OD 11 is a great pedal. And the OD11 was not 'too' pricey.

The JRocket Archer nails the Klon quite nicely.

The TC Electronic MojoMojo is a great 'TS-9-ish overdrive and dirt cheap. TC said that get that there are many overdrives out there. So why not have their OD (MojoMojo) and Distortion (DARK MATTER) at at gateway entry price. $50.

You cant go wrong at $50.00 Used as an OD or a boost, the MojoMojo is full of... well MOJO.

I've been interested in the Archer, but I've heard the charge pump doesn't play well with the Strymon big box pedals in Klon circuits. So I've been using my Spaceman Aphelion to get Klon-style drive. Wish I could say I'm interested in TCE but I've had 4 of their pedals and I've had noise issues or bypass/footswitch issues with every single one. Might just be since I live near power lines, but I don't get those issues with my current selection of pedals.

I used to have Flashback from TC. it was fucking amazing for price. Sure it isn't the most interesting pedal but it does the job.

You know what? grabbing another delay pedal wouldn't be too bad. possibly Obscura from Digitech? I don't need any of distortion for a while as i have one and multi effect I have seems to cover distortion surprisingly well. see? digital distortion isn't the worst thing.

I now want weird effects like Digitech Space Station and all that. someone got to stop this

Last edited:
I used to have Flashback from TC. it was fucking amazing for price. Sure it isn't the most interesting pedal but it does the job.

You know what? grabbing another delay pedal wouldn't be too bad. possibly Obscura from Digitech? I don't need any of distortion for a while as i have one and multi effect I have seems to cover distortion surprisingly well. see? digital distortion isn't the worst thing.

I now want weird effects like Digitech Space Station and all that. someone got to stop this

Digitech has a few pedals that seem interesting. The Obscura is one for certain.

I haven't found tone issues with TC E pedals. Noise issues were probably power related. But this can happen with many brands, not just TC E.

TC Pedals are pretty great and affordable. The Flashback x4 smokes the Line 6 DL4.

Line 6 (including the M13) seemed to suck the tone out of the guitar signal.

I haven't found tone issues with TC E pedals. Noise issues were probably power related. But this can happen with many brands, not just TC E.

I mean, I suppose this could be the case, but I use fully isolated power supplies and I don't have that issue with many other pedals (none that I currently own at least, or have owned in the last couple years). It was a combination of the noise and two failing footswitches that branded them a strong avoid for me. The only other brands I've had any issues with the footswitches failing are EHX and Line 6 (and Line 6 stuff sucked tone for sure). I actually also had a jack fail on an EHX pedal too. Maybe I just have bad luck with that kinda stuff.

Either way, I loooooove what I have right now.

The thing about DIgitech is that they now have DOD active, which is a good news for people who love batshit insane effect units. But, they haven't done something too outrageous in DOD category, except for reissuing bunch of oddballs from the past like Gonkulator (Ring mod and fuzz in one pedal) and Meatball (sub-octave generator, mostly used for Bass). I hope I see new weird effects from them.

actual Digitech lineup is on fire these days, and they are mostly coming from re-imagining Hardwire pedals they've discontinued. I still can't make up my mind to actually buying one as I feel like better pedals are coming in future and I wanna rather buy them.

The thing about DIgitech is that they now have DOD active, which is a good news for people who love batshit insane effect units. But, they haven't done something too outrageous in DOD category, except for reissuing bunch of oddballs from the past like Gonkulator (Ring mod and fuzz in one pedal) and Meatball (sub-octave generator, mostly used for Bass). I hope I see new weird effects from them.

actual Digitech lineup is on fire these days, and they are mostly coming from re-imagining Hardwire pedals they've discontinued. I still can't make up my mind to actually buying one as I feel like better pedals are coming in future and I wanna rather buy them.

Meatbox seems like an interesting pedal. I would like try one out.

I didn't know that they discontinued the Hardwire series. But then again, I never knew of anyone that used them and I don't recall reading any rave reviews from professional musicians or the guitar magazines.

Back
Top Bottom