Post your rigs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are tons of other amp modeling units like Bias amps and Kemper. Are they using same kind of technologies (DSL chips) for the emulation?

Sure I want Axe fox but I kinda don't wanna pay 1000 bucks for my hobby at this pt

No, because the chip inside the Axe costs $600 a pop, which goes a long way to explain why its such an expensive piece of kit. Other manufacturers don't want to charge their customers $2600 for a modeler so they opt for cheaper chips. The downside of course is that their modelers can't do what the Axe can do. The Kemper is a good piece of kit, but people only use it to model amps, not amps and effects. That's why Edge has 8 to 12 Axe FX in his rig these days and why Matt Bellamy uses both the Axe and the Kemper.

In the end you always get what you're willing to pay for. And even a used older Axe FX 1 or the Ultra tends to go for at least a $1000 2nd hand. Better long term value for money then Line6 gear, which depreciates a lot faster.

I'd like to get the AX-8 one day, even though it doesn't have the expensive chip and runs out of DSP a lot quicker then the Axe as a result, and can't do 2 amps at once as the Helix can. But it shares enough commonality so I wouldn't completely have to redesign my presets from scratch like I would if I were to for the Helix instead. Of course, if I could I would get another Axe. One to tinker with at home, the other for rehearsal and gigs.

I was kinda thinking about buying Line 6 unit (ones not as expensive as Helix) for a while, but I don't think I need another multi fox for a while. I probably need a small pedal that can do weird things. But Axe8 really intrigued me though. I mean it's a floor unit and made by Fractal..... nobody can compete against that.

Btw it seems like not many units/modeling softwares can nail the sounds of Vox amps and hi watt amps. Are Axe-Fx good at modeling those amps?

But such pedals tend to be one trick ponies though. They only do a few things very well, because there's only so much analog electronics and controls you can stuff into a small box. And if you're going for a DSP pedal then what is the added value over a multi-FX? And a pedal board full of expensive pedals that can do amazing things costs just as much a really good multi-FX that can also do amazing things.

As for the Axe and Vox and Hiwatt amp models, I don't any of those amps so I can't really compare. I do read good things though about the AC30 TB model and a couple of Vox speaker cabinet sims that have been created by some users. I mostly use Fender and Marshall amp sims do and I'm happy with those.

The thing is that I kinda decided to stick to my RP360 and use some compact pedals as the expansion. As that multi eff covers most of standard effects/classic pedals, I'm fine with some pedals being kinda one trick pony.

About Vox/Hiwatt, I've been a fan of Edge and David Gilmour for a while and really want sounds from these amps; imo, those amps can produce the best clean sounds and pretty tight gain sounds. But....seems like nailing sounds of these amps is very tough; Brian Wampler said making amp-in-a-box pedal emulating Vox amps was the hardest. Also they tend not to work well with most of gain pedals probably because of the rich midrange these amps innately have. So, I mostly stick to models of Femder and Marshall amps, same as you Muad'zin. I love Fender Deluxe, Bassman, and JTM/Plexi models in particular. I really haven't gotten into more modern Marshall models like JCMs (not even 900s) and all that, though. They sound like DS-1 is always engaged in the chain for some reasons. I guess diodes in gain stage is a no-no for me.

0Q9NPNx.jpg

Didn't change much. Just placement and tidier wiring. Moved the Strymons up front for easier access to the "hold" functions.

Looks neat and tidy. Nice work.

Personally I'd worry about stepping on those Strymon knobs though eacht time I'd have to reach for those disaster area switchers. Even with a slanted board like that.

Now I have to pimp my own rig as well.

IMG_20161228_195424.jpg

I've removed the shimmer pedals section, the Axe takes care of everything guitar related now, except for the Line6 M5 in its FX loop. I've added a Korg Kaossilator and Behringer rack mixer, which now serves as the mixer for both Kaoss pads and my keyboard. I've also replaced the Marshall 8008 poweramp with a Matrix poweramp. What a difference that makes. I couldn't run cab sims with the Marshall, I can't run without cab sims with the Matrix.

Oh, I'm pretty precise with my feet and I have a light touch. My problem with putting the Timeline or BigSky in the back is that I like using their hold functions and the pedals are slanted so that the foot switches are low.

Question! I've just stumbled across a secondhand VOX AC30 vr .
I've been looking for an amp and was wondering if this is a good investment for me to make. I only have a small budget. What should a decent price be for one of these in a decent secondhandstate?

Also the AC30vr doesn't seem to have an effects loop.. I don't know if I will regret this?

I'm sure one of the awesome gurus on here will be more conclusive but for me, the loop is essential if you're playing with a delay.
AC30 though... drool

If you're playing with the amp clean or fairly clean, you don't need an effects loop. But don't ask me about the AC30VR - I'm a gear snob. Heh.

Yeah I think Edge never uses Fx loops, at least for live situations as the amps he uses during shows are old Vox amps and Fender amps that don't have fx loops. That probably works because he is mainly using clean tone from these amps and get distortions from pedals rather than cranking the gain of the amps. I don't know too much about studio situation because you know, he can use whatever amps there. He could be using Mesa mark 5, JCM 2000s etc in the studio or in the recording,

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Be careful. Before you know it you're only using that and your expensive analog stuff starts gathering dust. :wink:

Before I bought this, I already had a Kemper. I think the only analog stuff I have before buying this is a couple drives and a compressor.

what profile/amp model do you use, tourist? have you experimented with models of weird amps/boutique amps that you don't normally go for on Kemper?

what profile/amp model do you use, tourist? have you experimented with models of weird amps/boutique amps that you don't normally go for on Kemper?

With the Kemper I had a group of amps I found myself using the most. Vox AC30TB, Morgan AC20, Roland Jazz Chorus, Fender Twin, Matchless DC30, Carr Rambler, Swart AST. The Helix makes my Kemper pretty redundant though so I'm thinking I'm going to let the Kemper go to fund a new recording computer.

are effects on Kemper as good as Helix? just wondering.

Not in experience. Kemper overdrive pedals remind me of the overdrives in the HD500. Helix sounds way better on the overdrives. Also comps sound better on the Helix. I'd say that reverb and delay are about even. Modulation so far I like better on the Helix. But really the UI/editing for the Helix is ridiculously better than the Kemper.

I just wondered because some people seem to use Kemper as both amp profiler and effects units, while some say effects in that units aren't that good. seems like Axe-Fx and Helix wins in those categories.

also, how do those Morgan amps sound like? are they a replication of Vox (seems like they are, from their model number/name) or they have something more?

I just wondered because some people seem to use Kemper as both amp profiler and effects units, while some say effects in that units aren't that good. seems like Axe-Fx and Helix wins in those categories.

also, how do those Morgan amps sound like? are they a replication of Vox (seems like they are, from their model number/name) or they have something more?

I have an actual Morgan AC40 Deluxe. I'd say it's a little more like the tone you'd get if you blended the Normal and Top Boost channels on a Vox AC30. Only had three knobs (Volume, Power Level, Cut) and three toggles (Brilliant [bass cut], Bright [treble boost], Preamp [changes V1 tube from 12AX7 to EF86]). When the EF86 is selected it's more like a Matchless (ballsier and less headroom). When the Brilliant and Bright are down, it's closer to Normal AC30 channel. When Brilliant and Bright are up, closer to Top Boost.

I haven't seen that many people using Morgan amps; I remember Jeff Tweedy AC40 live (i think he has other Morgan amps) and somehow Tosin Abasi had one of those as well.

I wonder why Edge doesn't go for these Matchless or Morgan amps. or at least whether he has tried these or not.

I haven't seen that many people using Morgan amps; I remember Jeff Tweedy AC40 live (i think he has other Morgan amps) and somehow Tosin Abasi had one of those as well.

I wonder why Edge doesn't go for these Matchless or Morgan amps. or at least whether he has tried these or not.

Probably just using what he's used to. He's got handwired Voxes that have probably been worked on enough that they're just as reliable as the boutique stuff. Morgans definitely aren't a top 10 name. But I just love this one... at least as much as a fickle gear snob such as myself can. Watch, I won't have it in a year or two and I'll be championing some other amp that is just an attempt to capture the AC30 Top Boost sound in a lighter package (like 3rd Power).

yeah on top of that, Edge's Vox is made to match the specs of his original AC30, i guess he doesn't need any other things than that. I remember Edge also has Hiwatts which is often known for similar mid-heavy, sparkly tones.

I still wonder whether Edge uses amp sims on his Axe-Fx or not, tho. or how he wires his FX in general.

Sold my strat of 12 years a few weeks ago to save the hassle of taking it back to England with me, was a big enough problem getting it out here in the first place.

On the bright side, I bought a fender classic series 70's strat off a guy in London so got that to look forward to when I get back! :drool: the guy got it as a gift and sold it for a crazy knock down prize, so well done him! Wise choice haha

VrxFC8K.jpg

Been wanting a natural strat with maple neck for years, but the white's being replaced with black once I get back.

I recently got EHX Synth9 as a birthday present from my parents; it was sweet.

also, this is somewhat trivial story but somehow the high E string of my guitar broke 3 weeks ago and i was using this pack of 9 gauge string that i got for free for the music store; however it broke (it didnt break, technically but the winding on G string was falling apart) so i bought 11 gauge string. it's pretty good sounding but my finger hurts..........

I bought a Fender Jaguar years ago with 13-56 strings on it! Think the seller said he was a rhythm player and preferred them. Didn't want to make any adjustments so just kept buying 13s and that took some getting used to! :ohmy:

Didn't touch my old strat for months but when I went back to it, god I could bend those 9s haha

Still in Australia at the moment. Excruciating.

Had to sell the Jaguar a while back and lost my powers. :( Been back on 9s since so will probably stick with them or 10s. Only other changes might be the pickups.

What about the synth9? How are you finding it? :ohmy:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom