Popular band who've ripped off U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Coldplay's done their own fair share to get the critisism. They to talk about U2 at every given opportunity, they compare their work with U2, and borrow heavily in their sound (and the people they worked with).

Coldplay's done their own fair share to get the critisism. They to talk about U2 at every given opportunity, they compare their work with U2, and borrow heavily in their sound (and the people they worked with).

Exactly.

And the strange thing is, they don't sound all that much like U2.

Exactly.

And the strange thing is, they don't sound all that much like U2.

Exactly. I love Coldplay, though not nearly as much as U2...and their musical realms are GREATLY different. It doesn't really matter though, they're both fine bands who make great music.

Listen to ¨So Alive¨ from Ryan Adams. That´s exactly the U2 sound.

People who say that Radiohead copies U2 have less musicality in their whole body than Thom Yorke has only in his little toe...

Yep, especially that guitar player of theirs - bet he never heard of Edge.

865634623462X.jpg

Always remember: this little unit right here was not invented by The Edge exclusively for The Edge. Other people are allowed to use it, too...

Anyway, while it seems that Buckland did indeed ape our guitar hero's signature style a bit on the awful X&Y and A Rush Of Blood To The Head, those same accusations cannot really be launched against him with Coldplay's latest work. Different tone, different setup, even a completely different approach to delay at times. "Strawberry Swing," for instance, makes brilliant use of reverse delay - something that Edge has never really attempted on an album before. I praise Buckland for that, because reverse delay is difficult to work with. There are only two songs (oh dear, two!) on VLVODAAHF that sound even remotely Edge-like: Cemetaries of London and Lovers In Japan/Reign Of Love.

There are only two songs (oh dear, two!) on VLVODAAHF that sound even remotely Edge-like: Cemetaries of London and Lovers In Japan/Reign Of Love.

I bet you typing out the acronym for that album is more difficult than simply typing out Viva la Vida

The Edge was inspired to get the delay pedal from listening to Pink Floyd's Animals. Bono listened to it and raved about Gilmour's guitar tone and asked Edge about coming up with something like that.

So, yeah, it's not like The Edge invented delay.

The Edge was inspired to get the delay pedal from listening to Pink Floyd's Animals. Bono listened to it and raved about Gilmour's guitar tone and asked Edge about coming up with something like that.

So, yeah, it's not like The Edge invented delay.

You're right, but wasn't it The Wall, not Animals? Gilmour doesn't use a lot of delay on Animals. I definitely remember reading about Gilmour's influence on The Edge in a U2 book, but I could have sworn it was The Wall that provided the inspiration.

That main riff in Run Like Hell is so "Edge," it's not even funny.

865634623462X.jpg

Always remember: this little unit right here was not invented by The Edge exclusively for The Edge. Other people are allowed to use it, too...

Anyway, while it seems that Buckland did indeed ape our guitar hero's signature style a bit on the awful X&Y and A Rush Of Blood To The Head, those same accusations cannot really be launched against him with Coldplay's latest work. Different tone, different setup, even a completely different approach to delay at times. "Strawberry Swing," for instance, makes brilliant use of reverse delay - something that Edge has never really attempted on an album before. I praise Buckland for that, because reverse delay is difficult to work with. There are only two songs (oh dear, two!) on VLVODAAHF that sound even remotely Edge-like: Cemetaries of London and Lovers In Japan/Reign Of Love.

Always remember: no one said Edge invented that or that others aren't allowed to use it. But the trouble is he is credited to bringing that sound into the mainstream, he made it popular. So yeah, use it and you will get called out on borrowing off his sound. It's not like, say, Edge hasn't acknowledged Tom Verlaine for inspiration.
But it might help if one, especially if he gets compared to U2 (and if he sounds like their guitar player throughout their career), try something else instead. Good for Buckland if he sounds less like Edge on La Vida Loca.

Interesting: I posted once how someone on another site said Edge should basically bow to David Gilmour for borrowing and I seem to recall you were quick to jump out and say there are very, very few Pink Floyd songs where they sound alike. :hmm: So which is it ?

You're right, but wasn't it The Wall, not Animals? Gilmour doesn't use a lot of delay on Animals. I definitely remember reading about Gilmour's influence on The Edge in a U2 book, but I could have sworn it was The Wall that provided the inspiration.

That main riff in Run Like Hell is so "Edge," it's not even funny.

I specifically remember it being Animals. In fact, he named a specific track's opening, only he thought the track was called Animals (silly Bono), but I think they said he meant Pigs (Three Different Ones).

The Edge first acquired his now legendary Electro Harmonix Memory Man Deluxe upon the suggestion of Bono. Bono allegedly asked him "Have you heard the start of Pink Floyd's Animals? (It is likely the song Bono was referring to was "Pigs (Three Different Ones)" as it is the first use of delay on the album. It is possible that he was talking about "Sheep", however) , you've got to get one of those echo units". The Edge now says that he usually set the tempo of the unit extremely high as he didn't have a clue how to use it.

Found it.

"The Edge now says that he usually set the tempo of the unit extremely high as he didn't have a clue how to use it."

:hmm: Sounds like he still had to figure out his own way and sound, Bono suggesting he buy an echo unit upon hearing that effect in a PF album does not mean Edge = David Gilmour ripoff.

Always remember: no one said Edge invented that or that others aren't allowed to use it. But the trouble is he is credited to bringing that sound into the mainstream, he made it popular. So yeah, use it and you will get called out on borrowing off his sound. It's not like, say, Edge hasn't acknowledged Tom Verlaine for inspiration.
But it might help if one, especially if he gets compared to U2 (and if he sounds like their guitar player throughout their career), try something else instead. Good for Buckland if he sounds less like Edge on La Vida Loca.

See, I don't really buy the whole idea that he was the first to make it mainstream or popular. Guess who had a number one hit in the UK and the US in 1979 with a song combination that featured heavy use of delay? Don't get me wrong, Edge has probably taken the effect about as far as you can take it in mainstream music and has done a lot more with it than the average guitarist, but he was by no means its pioneer. He took a good thing and made it better.

Interesting: I posted once how someone on another site said Edge should basically bow to David Gilmour for borrowing and I seem to recall you were quick to jump out and say there are very, very few Pink Floyd songs where they sound alike. :hmm: So which is it ?

Interesting? Not really, because I stand by what I said. There are only a handful of songs (namely the delayed section of Echoes, the outro of Sheep, various parts of Another Brick In The Wall, The Happiest Days Of Our Lives, and Run Like Hell) that sound like U2 songs from a guitarist's POV. The two major influences on Edge's general style of playing - which is far more minimalistic than Gilmour's - are Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd. Edge took Television's minimalism, combined it with Pink Floyd's echoing soundscapes of the late 70s, and added his own twist into the mix.

Found it.

Awesome. :up: I'm somewhat shocked that Bono actually had the patience to listen to Animals, what with his borderline ADHD and all.

Interesting? Not really, because I stand by what I said. There are only a handful of songs (namely the delayed section of Echoes, the outro of Sheep, various parts of Another Brick In The Wall, The Happiest Days Of Our Lives, and Run Like Hell) that sound like U2 songs from a guitarist's POV. The two major influences on Edge's general style of playing - which is far more minimalistic than Gilmour's - are Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd. Edge took Television's minimalism, combined it with Pink Floyd's echoing soundscapes of the late 70s, and added his own twist into the mix.

:up: :up: :up: Excellent description.

Again, this is simply a confirmation of Edge's greatness, not a slight on his innovation. You really can't find very many guitarists that have signature tones as superb and recognizable as Verlaine and Gilmour's.

"The Edge now says that he usually set the tempo of the unit extremely high as he didn't have a clue how to use it."

:hmm: Sounds like he still had to figure out his own way and sound, Bono suggesting he buy an echo unit upon hearing that effect in a PF album does not mean Edge = David Gilmour ripoff.

Well, he caught on pretty quickly, because the delay setting (approx 420 ms) on Pride - probably Edge's first "famous" use of delay - is within the 370-440 ms range that David Gilmour typically used.

:up: :up: :up: Excellent description.

Again, this is simply a confirmation of Edge's greatness, not a slight on his innovation. You really can't find very many guitarists that have signature tones as superb and recognizable as Verlaine and Gilmour's.

Thanks. :wink: The one thing Edge did (and still does) that Gilmour hardly ever did was to combine multiple delay pedals with different settings into his effects rig. The result is, of course, awesome. Streets sounds piss poor if you try to play it with a single pedal... That's why it pleases me so much to see Buckland trying different things with his delay as well, rather than simply trying to mirror Edge all the time.

EDIT:

Pink Floyd. Ohh...the LCD flashbacks are tinkering up again :doh:

Don't you mean LSD?

Thanks. :wink: The one thing Edge did (and still does) that Gilmour hardly ever did was to combine multiple delay pedals with different settings into his effects rig. The result is, of course, awesome. Streets sounds piss poor if you try to play it with a single pedal... That's why it pleases me so much to see Buckland trying different things with his delay as well, rather than simply trying to mirror Edge all the time.

EDIT:

Don't you mean LSD?

:doh: S is right above C...sort of...

Coldplay:
Now Coldplay at times sounds like a lot of artists but not U2. The heart of their sound is in 90's Britpop though nowadays it more in the realm of atmospheric artists.

90's Brit pop? No way dude. Blur is the epitome of 90's Brit pop (and WAY better than Coldplay). Listen to Boys and Girls or End of A Century. Heck, that band invented the term Brit pop. I'm not so sure I agree with the other two bands, but Coldplay is a U2 ripoff. They try so, so hard to feel like U2 it's not even funny. I am genuinely annoyed by almost everything they do now. And I used to be a fan.

Yeah, I don't think Coldplay is Britpop either. And you can trust I know what I'm talking about there, as I'm a huge fan of the entire movement; Blur, Oasis, Pulp, and Supergrass are my bread-and-butter when it comes to modern pop music.

Coldplay is adult alternative with a little more Edge.

Yeah, I don't think Coldplay is Britpop either. And you can trust I know what I'm talking about there, as I'm a huge fan of the entire movement; Blur, Oasis, Pulp, and Supergrass are my bread-and-butter when it comes to modern pop music.

Coldplay is adult alternative with a little more Edge.

Coldplay is most def not Britpop. :up:

See, I don't really buy the whole idea that he was the first to make it mainstream or popular. Guess who had a number one hit in the UK and the US in 1979 with a song combination that featured heavy use of delay? Don't get me wrong, Edge has probably taken the effect about as far as you can take it in mainstream music and has done a lot more with it than the average guitarist, but he was by no means its pioneer. He took a good thing and made it better.

Edge has probably taken the effect about as far as you can take it in mainstream music - that's probably what I was trying to say. Not the first but he took it the furthest.

Well, it is then a bit of a stretch to say "Edge stole the use of delay from Gilmour" - that's all I'm saying. Also he tried new effects in the 90's (did he ever mention anyone in particular for inspiration on AB ? he never riffed or soloed like for the rest of his career) , he didn't stick with the delay all the time.

As for Pride, that's probably a lucky guess (can you guess delay settings by ear?) on Edge's part. If he had Gilmour strictly in mind with Pride, sure. It may very well be he liked that particular setting on its own.

Not the first

Yeah. It is therefore unfair of U2 fans to suggest that every guitarist using delay owes it all to The Edge. The Binson Echorec unit was coming into its own when Dave Evans was still wearing nappies.

Well, it is then a bit of a stretch to say "Edge stole the use of delay from Gilmour" - that's all I'm saying. Also he tried new effects in the 90's (did he ever mention anyone in particular for inspiration on AB ? he never riffed or soloed like for the rest of his career) , he didn't stick with the delay all the time.

No one is saying that he "stole" his use of delay. We are saying that he was inspired by it - which is really the point of this whole thread. Two out of the three bands that were so lazily accused of "pretending to be U2" in the original article are only doing what is natural in the music business. The Killers' bass player is not "pretending to be" Adam because he plays root notes. He might have been inspired to play in that particular way because of Adam, yet he is by no means ripping him off. It is completly normal to be inspired by other bands that have come before you. Coldplay often take it just a little bit too far, and Chris Martin is the most-annoying Bono fanboy on the planet, but they have never actually committed a true act of musical plagiarism.

As for Pride, that's probably a lucky guess (can you guess delay settings by ear?) on Edge's part. If he had Gilmour strictly in mind with Pride, sure. It may very well be he liked that particular setting on its own.

No, you don't normally guess exact delay settings by ear. You can, however, figure out the the ranges that produce certain types of sounds. Shorter (faster) delay times of 0-250 ms produce the kind of effects you hear on early U2 albums. They don't create the nice, atmospheric effects that longer delays do. Since Edge was likely going for that effect on UF, he would have been bright enough to figure out that longer delay times within the 350-400+ ms range were necessary. I'm definitely not saying he ripped off Gilmour, because that would be silly. But if he was going for that atmospheric Gilmourish delay that Bono initially informed him about, then those are the adjustments he would have needed to make.

Speaking of guitarists who use delay and the common misconception that they're all copying The Edge...this is kind of sad to see:

YouTube - Pink Floyd - Take It Back

TV4PC writes: "u2 'still havent found what im looking for' came out in 87, this came out in 94. Why do we need this song (or band)? The void was filled about 10 years earlier." And on a live version, Webking271 writes: "It does sound a lot like U2... same type of guitar riff that the Edge used on Joshua Tree."

Right. Never mind that ol' moobsy simply altered one of his OWN delayed guitar riffs (1979's Run Like Hell) and stuck it in a cheesy pop song. :sad: It is so frustrating to see David Gilmour, the man who lined Binson's pockets while Edge sat in maths class, being accused of copying a sound that has been in his arsenal since the early 70s.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom