PLEBA Misc News and Articles #8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, but you don't lose your accent and start sounding like an American just because you've lived in America for some time (two years, to be correct, in her case). Usually you don't lose your original accent, unless you're trying to sound like someone else.

I think it's a shame, because the Irish accent is cute and I never understand why people are trying to deny their origins by losing their accent.

I don't think she ever had that strong of an Irish accent though. Ali and Bono don't, at least not to me (I'm not at all Irish). I thought I remember reading that people from their area don't typically have the strong Irish accents.

My mom's younger sister has four kids and my uncle was in the military so they moved all over. In that family I have four cousins and they each speak differently because of where they grew up, and incidentally the cousin that's my age has no real accent at all because she moved around so much at an impressionable age. You can't really peg her as Midwest or NY or southern or California.

yeah seriously, my accent changes dramatically as i drive north up the UK :D

people with a good ear (for music/languages etc.) often do this naturally... sort of like an unconscious adaptation to current surroundings...

yeah i read about that years ago!

Because I had Afican-Americans friends decades back in the past who's parents, or grandparents came up from The South- they would sometimes speak in that lilt. Plus on a certain bus if i was on it
on a Sunday the older ladies from one of the mostly black church would ofter be talking with a southern lilt. I was exposed to it whike i was a youngish teenager, and there were no white southerners around my neighborhood in ones i passed through.

I didn'tusually speak like that - but when i went to Georgia to visitb a friend in my early 20's my already attuned ear.... I talked like a Southern for almost a whole week when i arrived back home! :lol:

yeah i read about that years ago!

Because I had Afican-Americans friends decades back in the past who's parents, or grandparents came up from The South- they would sometimes speak in that lilt. Plus on a certain bus if i was on it
on a Sunday the older ladies from one of the mostly black church would ofter be talking with a southern lilt. I was exposed to it whike i was a youngish teenager, and there were no white southerners around my neighborhood in ones i passed through.

I didn'tusually speak like that - but when i went to Georgia to visitb a friend in my early 20's my already attuned ear.... I talked like a Southern for almost a whole week when i arrived back home! :lol:

haha that's great! my older brother told me that when i was little, about 3 years old, some people from Birmingham (UK) came to stay with us, and i picked up a really strong Brummie accent - they thought it was hilarious apparently but i don't remember anything about it lol

Pff if I had the money. All I wear these days are my various shades of Converse.

Bloody hell, they're my size too! :sad: :want:

Pff if I had the money. All I wear these days are my various shades of Converse.

I can't remember these converse at all.. And I was pretty into Edge's shoes last tour...
Must have been the shoes he was wearing the first leg of 2009ish?

And that sounds very freaky.
-insertPrinceWTFlookhere-

I can't remember these converse at all.. And I was pretty into Edge's shoes last tour...
Must have been the shoes he was wearing the first leg of 2009ish?

And that sounds very freaky.
-insertPrinceWTFlookhere-

ew-3c-1.gif

I know who might be adding this to her Christmas list.....

Yes, I know, I'll be getting mine when I renew next years February! But this is the first time I've actually seen what the renewal "bundle" will look like and oh my I might have to renew a little earlier!! :ohmy:

Ha I'm renewing right now. :dance: 2nd year in a row they're having a great renewal gift. Looks like U2.com is finally improving! :thumbs:

I'm going to see if there are any problems before I renew, like people's books not arriving, arriving with blank pages, etc. You never know with U2.com. :wink:

Bono and Ali in Rome next week:

Send Us Your Questions for Fashion's Most Powerful Leaders - NYTimes.com

On Friday mid-morning, at about 10 CET : “Positive Change Through Fashion”: Suzy will interview Bono and his wife, Ali Hewson, co-founders of EDUN, a global fashion brand seeking to bring positive change through trading with Africa. In this session, the couple will discuss how EDUN shows that sustainable manufacturing is also good business.

Isn't he giving a speech at Georgetown next week? Edge built a time machine for Bono so he could travel and defy time and space. It must be the only way U2 works.

Any news on the official U2 calendar for 2013 yet? Has anyone here been able to get their hands on that one? I haven't found anything, Amazon is listing some u2 calendars but all of them aren't official. It's strange because the calendar should be available now. I see all kinds of official calendars for other bands and artists, but no U2 :(

Back
Top Bottom