Opening Acts 2010 - Lenny Kravitz, Interpol, The Fray and more

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2 doesn't need "supporting" acts to open for them. They should be playing 2.5 - 3 hour shows with no opening band. Sir Paul McCartney plays 2:45 shows and he is at least 20 years older than any member of U2.

I couldn't name you one Black Eye Pea song or tell you what kind of music they play. I guess I'm glad I got in the Red Zone so I don't have to sit through Black Eye Pea.

U2 have always had supporting acts why would they not? Part of the reasoning for supporting acts is to help promote them as artists. IMO thats what you would do for your fellow artist, especially if you are in the position that U2 is to help out. Just because Paul does it doesn't mean they should. Trust me they could easily do 3 hours shows if they wanted to (certainly have the back catalogue to do it) but they don't.

why wouldn't you have to sit thru BEP? The RED Zone is right next to the stage (on both sides). Do you mean you won't be in the RZ until after they peform. You do know that these areas are not seated that they are standing only so if you want to be front row within your area (RZ1 or RZ2) you have to line up when everyone else does to get a prime spot. If it doesn't matter where you are in there then go for it.

I'm well aware that they've had opening bands on previous tours. I'd rather see U2 for what I pay than some Black Eye Pea band. Sorry.

>trust me they could easily do 3 hours shows if they wanted to (certainly have the back catalogue to do it) but they don't.

They SHOULD be doing three hour shows!

I got Red Zone so I wouldn't have to wait in line all day. So many friends of mine are going to this show (most have seats) and I'd rather hang with them and tailgate instead of trying to get as close to the band as possible. Anywhere in the Red Zone is good enough for me.

the only time I've been excited about an opening band at a U2 show was when The Pretenders opened up on Joshua Tree tour. Now if Chrissie Hynde was opening this tour, I'd be in line with the die-hards to get a "prime spot".

I might be in the minority, but I'd rather have longer U2 shows.

U2 doesn't need "supporting" acts to open for them. They should be playing 2.5 - 3 hour shows with no opening band. Sir Paul McCartney plays 2:45 shows and he is at least 20 years older than any member of U2.

I couldn't name you one Black Eye Pea song or tell you what kind of music they play. I guess I'm glad I got in the Red Zone so I don't have to sit through Black Eye Pea.

U2 do not and have never played shows of that length. I don't think it has anything to do with the size of their back catalogue, they know their craft best and I believe the length and structure of their shows it what works best for them.

As a music fan the more support acts the better as far as I'm concerned, particularly outdoors it's allows more of a festival feel and creates a bigger build up to the main act. I feel very lucky to have seen the Chilli Peppers, Coldplay,The Killers, Starsailor, Stereo MCs, Cast, PJ Harvey, The Pixies and many more support U2 over the years. Sure, some bands are better than other (Kelis anyone?) but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

If you haven't heard any songs from Black Eyed Peas, check it out, and whoever else may be supporting - you might actually enjoy it!

but they won't do 3 hrs shows.. Don't we all wish for this.. I know I sure do.:shrug:

i was talking about why they have opening bands not that they always had them..:|

I like Snow Patrol, wouldn't mind them opening.

You got your wish. :)
Today it was confirmed by Mojo Concerts (the promoter in the Netherlands) that Snow Patrol will be opening for U2 in Amsterdam.

Nothing beats the BEP in horrificness though.

I guess you never saw Kelis opening in Arnhem in 2001. Lucky you. :wink:

Today it was confirmed by Mojo Concerts (the promoter in the Netherlands) that Snow Patrol will be opening for U2 in Amsterdam.

Hey Popmartijn!

Kelis...haha, THAT was horrible. worst opening for U2 ever!

:yippie: THat's GREAT news! Phew!

And no, I didn't see that gig. :lol: I heard the stories!!!!

I got Snow Patrol for ALL shows I'm attending :huh:

I mean they are not bad, but they are not THAT good. Boring.
I wish there were more and different support acts in Europe.

Snow Patrol in Amsterdam is good... A band that makes proper music.. I've had my share of shitty support acts in the past .. (Kelis in 2001 and even worse The Fatima Mansions in 1992).....

Kelis? Wow, I had no idea they'd sunk that low before... BEP seem master-artists and much more 'culturally relevant' in comparison.

People are way too snobby with SP, they're fun live, and they write heartfelt songs, and certainly know how to mix sounds to sound insanely listenable, I don't they're particularly innovative at composition, but I love listening to them, although Final Straw is still one of the more creative rock albums of the decade, and this past album featured some very evocative lyrics, and really gelled as an album from start-to-finish. We're not talking about upper echelon of all time, nor are the amazing musicians, but they're charming, and sound good.

I just always find myself thinking that it'd be really funny if someone in the singer's family was fat, because his last name is Lightbody.

I saw them yesterday at Pinkpop. Not too impressive to be honest :(

Hah , you saw Bruce Springsteen two? I actually Tought that Bruce, Elbow, Volbeat , and the killers and snow patrol where the best of the whole festival.

I wonder who these TBA supports are? will we even find out or will it just be a "local" band?

People are way too snobby with SP, they're fun live, and they write heartfelt songs, and certainly know how to mix sounds to sound insanely listenable, I don't they're particularly innovative at composition, but I love listening to them, although Final Straw is still one of the more creative rock albums of the decade, and this past album featured some very evocative lyrics, and really gelled as an album from start-to-finish. We're not talking about upper echelon of all time, nor are the amazing musicians, but they're charming, and sound good.

I just always find myself thinking that it'd be really funny if someone in the singer's family was fat, because his last name is Lightbody.

I love Gary Lightbody. He is charming as hell.

SP is not for everyone, but I really enjoy them. I think your description is spot on.
I've never seen a show of theirs where Gary just goes through the motions. He really feels his lyrics and performs from the heart.

Plus, if you don't like the song Chocolate, you're a deaf fascist with camel pox.

Mark

Is it maybe an idea to make a list of all concerts including their opening act and put that on the first post of this thread or so? Gives a bit of clarity.

I love Gary Lightbody. He is charming as hell.

SP is not for everyone, but I really enjoy them. I think your description is spot on.
I've never seen a show of theirs where Gary just goes through the motions. He really feels his lyrics and performs from the heart.

Plus, if you don't like the song Chocolate, you're a deaf fascist with camel pox.

Mark

I agree with both of you. What you said is right on the money. I have seen SP live and up close and its true Gary is singing straight from the heart in every song he sings. Passionate guy and funny too. I enjoy them too and wish I were going to one of the U2 shows they are supporting.

And if you don like Run then someone needs to kick u in the head..

All snow patrol songs plod along
the guy cant sing
and the songs mean jack all
they are coldplay wannabes
I dont like soppy, suck up, i'm so depressed my carbon footprint is size 8 bands like Snow Patrol

Muse, at least they can rock!

Personally I cannot wait for Elbow, been getting into them a lot since I found out they were opening in London and Sheffield. Does anyone reckon they'll play their War Child version of 'Running to Stand Still'?? They'd be mad not to, the crowd would absolutely love it :hyper:

Personally I cannot wait for Elbow, been getting into them a lot since I found out they were opening in London and Sheffield. Does anyone reckon they'll play their War Child version of 'Running to Stand Still'?? They'd be mad not to, the crowd would absolutely love it :hyper:
I can't see it I just hope they play newborn which is stunning live:drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom