Opening act?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
probably U2 are going to open for themselves to boost the ticket sales.

U2 plays the whole night themselves, with no other act. The show is split into two parts with "young U2" playing the first 45 minutes or so as a stripped down electric four-piece on a plain stage with minimal production, ripping through early classics like Gloria, IWF, 11oclock - mixing in a couple of SOI songs (Miracle, Raised By Wolves) that fit the theme. Transition to the main set, with "current U2" playing a fully produced 90-minute set of BIG songs, including a bunch of the classics and 3 or 4 SOI songs (TIWYCRMN, EBW, Song For Someone, Cedarwood Road). Main set features elaborate staging and video effects. Show closes with The Troubles.

This adds up to a 2:15 U2 show, which is about the norm for them. Others have probably speculated about a similar idea, I imagine.

Will Young Edge be sporting a wig and will Young Adam be sporting a 'fro? (Young Larry and Old Larry will look exactly the same of course).

Will Young Edge be sporting a wig and will Young Adam be sporting a 'fro? (Young Larry and Old Larry will look exactly the same of course).

That would be funny - which is why they wouldn't do it. The band members wouldn't change between sets, only the production and additional musicians (the rumored orchestra) for the main set.

U2 plays the whole night themselves, with no other act. The show is split into two parts with "young U2" playing the first 45 minutes or so as a stripped down electric four-piece on a plain stage with minimal production, ripping through early classics like Gloria, IWF, 11oclock - mixing in a couple of SOI songs (Miracle, Raised By Wolves) that fit the theme. Transition to the main set, with "current U2" playing a fully produced 90-minute set of BIG songs, including a bunch of the classics and 3 or 4 SOI songs (TIWYCRMN, EBW, Song For Someone, Cedarwood Road). Main set features elaborate staging and video effects. Show closes with The Troubles.

This adds up to a 2:15 U2 show, which is about the norm for them. Others have probably speculated about a similar idea, I imagine.

So the band will steal their set list design from the tribute bands instead of the other war around?

Would that be the enemy of my enemy of art is my friend? I'm confused. Finkel is Einhorn. Einhorn is Finkel.

Given this band's history, I am completely shocked that we're inside a month now without knowing who the opener is. And by no means, am I upset by this. This is actually making me more excited about the possibilities.

If they have no opener, maybe they'll play a longer show.

Or maybe they'll just start the show when the opening band usually goes on, and then play the usual-length show, and then they and I get to be in bed at a reasonable hour.

Either scenario pleases me. :wink:

What if there is no announcement at all? This'll throw a wrench in my plans concerning when to arrive on the floor. How dare they do this to me! :wink:

Maybe the tour opener will be u2 playing the whole of SOI from front to back. The album runs roughly 48 minutes which is the length of a normal support slot. Go off for 45 minutes. Then do a two hour greatest hits/rarities set

At this point I think there is no opener. The show "starts" 7:30 but they really won't take stage until about 8 once the arena is full, and they could play until anywhere from 10 to 11. This makes more sense to me. But maybe i'm wrong.

I'd say that it was fairly clear at this point that there isn't going to be an opening act... but nothing on this album/tour cycle has made sense thus far, so there's that.

It made more sense when you said it then, but you gotta figure they would actually say no opening act and be up front if that's what they want to do. Considering a lack of no means maybe, and maybe means potential for getting fan's hopes up.

My only guess is that they're still negotiating and they don't actually know themselves.

It made more sense when you said it then, but you gotta figure they would actually say no opening act and be up front if that's what they want to do. Considering a lack of no means maybe, and maybe means potential for getting fan's hopes up.

My only guess is that they're still negotiating and they don't actually know themselves.

I don't understand this, and I see it a lot in here. PR doesn't announce what they're not doing just because people are speculating; you don't make a statement that you're NOT in a coma, you don't make an announcement that you're not playing a show that you never said you were playing, and what would be the point of saying 'no opening act'?

You don't negotiate opening acts for a tour this size this close to opening night.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Uh, you don't put out a press release about it? I know that... it's casually just listed on the event. The status of your concert.

It's like saying show is at 7:30 PM but refusing to give an answer as to when doors will be. There's no reason to withhold the information, unless it actually hasn't been decided yet...

Uh, you don't put out a press release about it? I know that... it's casually just listed on the event. The status of your concert.

It's like saying show is at 7:30 PM but refusing to give an answer as to when doors will be. There's no reason to withhold the information, unless it actually hasn't been decided yet...

I just looked at ticketmaster and none of the acts I looked at stated what time doors open.

And I'm sure if you asked they'd be happy to let you know.

That example wasn't the best of course, considering that's venue based. Not band based.

My concern? It's not a concern. It's confusion. There's no logic for withholding that bit of information.

1) They don't need an opening act to sell tickets.
2) They're well aware of whether or not they intend to have an opening act or not. That discussion... it happens for every band on tour.
3) It's way too close to show time to logically be withholding information of an already planned artist (i.e. those artists would want their name out there ASAP).
4) They're not holding some sort of surprise, this late in the game.

So what's the deal? Every band, including themselves, will list that status. Either on the event details/ticket, or in some FAQ. If they have an answer. So the only two realistic answers here are that they're simply for no reason at all just... NOT saying a word, or they're still working on it.

Neither of those answers make a lot of sense. That's why I'm confused. We are going to get an answer, one way or another, that just doesn't really make sense.

Or there simply is no opening band. I've seen bands with no opening band, and they don't write "no opening band" on their ticket or website.

Or, you know, that's kind of half of what I just said.

And, you know, that pretty much never happens.

Haha :up: I know.

I just think there should be less confusion. Accept that there is no opening band or they're keeping quiet for a reason.

Well for the SOAD gig I have tomorrow the website and tickets state there is NO opening band, doors open at 6.30 and the band comes on at 8pm. While the U2 page says nothing about any opening band whatshowever, which is strange. If there is no opener, why isn't that stated?

Odds

There is no opener and U2 is playing their normal show, but Larry can go home sooner and get his beauty sleep... 2 to 1

There is an opener, and they just haven't announced it yet cause that's how they do things these days... 7 to 1

There is no opener and U2 will be playing a longer set chock full of more hits... 15 to 1

There is no opener cause U2 is playing a longer set chock full of rarities and B sides... 100 to 1

Interference will complain regardless... Even money

So I am speculating that the silence on this is either because:

1) There is no opening act

2) The openers will be some really big names (think Chris Martin, or even their Oseary-mate Madonna) opening a show or two each, and will be a surprise, or

3) The openers will be (really) local bands to each city

Scenarios 2 and 3 are obviously what my imagination has conjured up. :)

If it is pop artist's scenario 2 I will sell my tickets or soundboard. No fucking way I'm going to sit through Chris Martin. No.fucking.way.

My general experience when bands have no opener is that this fact is announced, but sometimes only days before the concert when the set times are posted on the venue's website. Usually when the lack of an opener is specified well beforehand, it's because the band is doing some sort of special longer show, so in the absence of any announcement yet, if there is no opener I would assume it will be a normal two-hour show, possibly a tad earlier in the evening than normal.

I still expect an opener to be announced though. The way information has dribbled out with limited co-ordination or fanfare means I won't be surprised if the opener isn't announced until a couple of weeks beforehand, and that it proves to be some mid-level up-and-coming band on U2's label.

Back
Top Bottom