OH NO!!! Another Dublin thread!U2 related though!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.Clayton

Refugee
OK, Now I want stories about U2's Dublin from all you who have been. Where have you gone, anything funny happen to you while finding U2 related places? i.e. did you slip in a mud puddle in front of Bono's house? Take the wrong bus out to Adam's? Followed someone in the grocery store because you were near Larry's house, and darnit, it looked like him.
Ready?
GO!!!

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
Perhaps later on, AM or I will relate the exciting account of "was it Eli in the stroller?" Stay tuned.
wink.gif

Can't wait to hear that one...

When I went to Dublin I only saw one U2 related sight, and that was only vaguely related. I was with my family you see, and they were more interested in looking at Trinity college and things. And also we actually only spent one morning there. Well anyway, we were walking down this random street, and my brother points out some shop or other, so I look up, and what should I see a couple of shops down the road but Nude cafe (owned by Norman Hewson). I hadn't expected to see it at all, and I was so surprised that I kept on staring at it even when we'd walked right past it. I was just walking up the road staring wide-eyed at this cafe like some kind of weirdo. I dunno what the man sitting at the window eating his lunch thought. LOL!
biggrin.gif

I'm determined that next time I go I'm going to drag whoever's with me round all the U2 sights! Luckily my sister completely fell in love with Dublin and is begging my Parents to take us back there this year. Yay!!!!!

Ah, a thread where I get to talk about myself. Yay!
wink.gif

Okay, so I got back from Dublin last Thursday. I was with friends, none of whom are big U2 fans, but I ended up seeing more U2-related stuff than I thought I would. (Sometimes completely by accident.)

One of my friends was the one who told me that Nude was owned by Norman Hewson (she got major points for that!) and we went in. It was before the lunchtime crowd, so there were no lines or anything. (We went past a couple of hours later and it was chock full of people.) They have really good stuff there. I had fresh apple and orange juice (and of course I was a dork and pried the Nude sticker off the bottle, and it's now among my other trip souvenirs.)

The same friend also alerted me to a bar on Grafton Street, Captain America's, where they had a bunch of U2 memorabilia on the walls. It was pretty cool -- I got a photo of one of the Popmart muscle shirts, framed and signed by all 4 guys.

Um, I went to a music store in Temple Bar that had 8 tons of U2 stuff. (Yes, exactly 8.) It was great. The entire back wall was covered in U2. (I bought a bootleg.)

Of course we also went to the Clarence. We didn't go to the Kitchen, but we did go to Octagon Bar. It was so cool! It's the type of place where, if Bono actually had been there or something, I would have felt *so* uncool actually going up to him for an autograph or something. Luckily (ha!) he wasn't there. We took some coasters, though. And a drink menu. (Again, we had to be sneaky, because we would have felt dreadfully unhip had we been seen.)

Our last day in Dublin, my friend and I took the train down to the southern suburbs. We got out at Dun Laoghaire, Killiney, and Bray. It's so funny. I honestly didn't even know that Bono lived in Killiney. It sounded vaguely familiar to me, but that was all. (Of course, when I saw the houses on the hills, I pretty much figured it out. Wow.) Anyway, I'd had no intention of hunting for Bono's house, because A) I was with my non-obsessed friend, and B) I sort of figured it would be hard to find anyway.

So my friend and I went out onto the beach and walked around a little bit. Soon a German Shepherd appeared out of nowhere, picked up a rock in her mouth, trotted over to me, and spit it out at my feet. I picked it up and threw it, and she tore after it. This dog wanted to play rock fetch! It was hilarious. I had never seen a dog fetch rocks before. So we played with the dog for awhile before leaving.

Later, when I got home, I looked on the internet and found a picture of Bono's house. I couldn't believe it! I saw that house from the beach (and Enya's house, too.) In fact, we'd been playing rock fetch basically in front of it! (Although the hills are pretty high). And, since I also found out Bono has German Shepherds, I'm going to pretend I played rock fetch with one of his dogs.
wink.gif

------------------
"The minute anybody starts telling you what God thinks, or exactly why he does such and such, beware. People should never try to make God in man's image, and that's what they're constantly doing." - Madeleine L'Engle, 1963

"Some of my best friends are women. Some of my best friends dress up as women too." - Bono, Hot Press interview

"don't give up, you've got the music in you..."

Originally posted by Mirrorball Girl:
And, since I also found out Bono has German Shepherds, I'm going to pretend I played rock fetch with one of his dogs.
wink.gif

Very cool, Mirrorball Girl! It's very possible that you were playing fetch with one of Bono's dogs!
smile.gif
It's too bad that you didn't see its tag or something- maybe its owner's name would've been listed.

All these stories are great. I hope that one day I can go to Dublin and check out all the U2 sites.

Well, I've told this one before, but it applies so here goes again....

AM, whiteflag and I were off to hunt down Larry's house. We took the train to the area and upon getting off, looked at each other and said, "where do we start?" So we went to the first shop we came upon, which happened to be a dry-cleaning place and asked the middle-aged lady that ran it if she could tell us "where Mr. Larry Mullen Jr. lives?" lol. She gave us directions to go up the road, look for this and that landmark, and it's one of the ones beyond that...she wasn't sure which exactly but we were to ask someone when we got there. So off we went. We found the landmarks ok, but we couldn't find ANYONE to tell us if we were close. It was a residential area and the few people who were on bicycles that responded to our flagging them down didn't know.

We came to a dead end between two very nice big houses, one of which was partially surrounded by a hedge. AM thought it was a public garden and started to enter it when we realized it was private property. hmmm...

After wondering aloud if this could be IT, we came back out of the dead end, wandered back up the road and then turned back into the neighborhood to come up the other side. As we walked, suddenly we heard the revving of a motorcycle engine behind us! All three of us gasped and leapt to the side of the road to see if it could be....HIM.

Alas...it was not to be.
frown.gif
But our nerves were now racing and the hunt for the house was on. We walked up the street to the other side of the property we'd dead-ended at before. hmmmm again. But with no way to confirm yes or no, things seemed to be at a standstill.

We wandered back down the street hoping to find a local to ask when a little old gentleman came walking up the road. He stopped for us and answered what by now had become our plea..."Can you tell us where Mr. Larry Mullen Jr. lives???" To our joy and delight, he replied, "Oh sure, it's just down the road there. He has three houses now." He then proceeded to ask if we were fans of U2 (ummm, YES!) and chatted with us for a few moments, leaving us with a cheery "good luck! I hope you get to meet himself!"
biggrin.gif

Back down the road we went to the house we had found before. After snapping a quick photo and being careful not to disturb anyone or anything, we made our way back to the train station. And that is how AM, whiteflag, and sula's quest for Larry's house(s) went.
smile.gif

3334%3B%3B%3A%3B23232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E2325%3D623%3D587%3DXROQDF%3E2323268%3A3355%3Bot1lsi

-sula

p.s. Perhaps later on, AM or I will relate the exciting account of "was it Eli in the stroller?" Stay tuned.
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom