OFFICIAL - New Album Delayed Until 2009

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh God! Why??? Do they always have to capitalize on maximum sales? They have more money than God! It will be very refreshing if they simply drop an album in February or something with minimal hype. That is the sort of unpredictable U2 that a lot of us have been missing lately!

But it's also about RELEVANCE. If U2 wants to keep its standing as the biggest band in the world (which it clearly does), it NEEDS to have a big first week of sales. The music industry is like the movie business now, meaning that the opening week's "box office" is a huge part of measuring an album's success. And for U2 to keep its stature, it needs the album to sell. Part of the band's overall image/reputation is that it's the only group making fresh material 20 years into its career that is both a critical and commercial success.

Obviously, you can still put out a blockbuster album in Jan/Feb/March. But it's easier at Xmas. And the band certainly respects the Grammys, too.

The reason they're not releasing this album in November is because so many other (more popular) bands are releasing albums in November as well and there's no way the band would be able to compete in the charts.
So yes this is a calculated move.

Oh God! Why??? Do they always have to capitalize on maximum sales and awards? They have more money than God! It will be very refreshing if they simply drop an album in February or something with minimal hype. That is the sort of unpredictable U2 that a lot of us have been missing lately!

Some of aren't exactly thrilled by this because we know they're NOT going to drop the album in February. Maybe in the same alternate universe where U2 swings by our houses and gives us free tickets to the Spiderman musical. No, they're going to flog the living hell out of this thing.

Some of aren't exactly thrilled by this because we know they're NOT going to drop the album in February. Maybe in the same alternate universe where U2 swings by our houses and gives us free tickets to the Spiderman musical. No, they're going to flog the living hell out of this thing.

christ mel! you're like the Lance of EYKIW and you havent even been alive long enough to be this jaded...

They just might surprise us. :sexywink:

One can dream. :|

lol.

So... so..... what does it mean for the tour? if they release the album in March, when are they going to start???
I need to make plans, damn! :doh:

Well this is disappointing - surely now in terms of what we know about the album we're a long way ahead of HTDAAB's schedule in 04. I really hope this is for good reason and isn't gonna result in a similar over-cooked end product.

However on a more forward-thinking level, if the album droppd in Feb for instance, the tour would probably start in the summer, meaning its more unlikely that the UK dates would clash with my summer uni exams (like what happened in 2005) hehe. I'm sure it'll all fall into place and 2009 will be a great year.

I'm well excited by the prospect of it being a transition as great as JT to AB, we've heard that from a few ppl now, so I really hope its true!

The reason they're not releasing this album in November is because so many other (more popular) bands are releasing albums in November as well and there's no way the band would be able to compete in the charts.
So yes this is a calculated move.

You kidding ? u2 piss all over those bands recent album sales :lol:

Well this is disappointing - surely now in terms of what we know about the album we're a long way ahead of HTDAAB's schedule in 04. I really hope this is for good reason and isn't gonna result in a similar over-cooked end product.

However on a more forward-thinking level, if the album droppd in Feb for instance, the tour would probably start in the summer, meaning its more unlikely that the UK dates would clash with my summer uni exams (like what happened in 2005) hehe. I'm sure it'll all fall into place and 2009 will be a great year.

I'm well excited by the prospect of it being a transition as great as JT to AB, we've heard that from a few ppl now, so I really hope its true!

If thats the case the 1st leg would have to be UK so they can play the stadiums otherwise it clashes with the football season.

christ mel! you're like the Lance of EYKIW and you havent even been alive long enough to be this jaded...

No fear; this is just me in a particularly bad mood.

Imagine how Paul McGuinne$$ must feel about all this. It's like U2 lured him into traffic with a dollar bill on a fishing line.

If you read some of Lance's early posts ( :yikes: ) it took him years to get that way. No fear; this is just me in a particularly bad mood.

Imagine how Paul McGuinne$$ must feel. It's like U2 lured him into traffic with a dollar bill on a fishing line.

:lol:

I realize in a couple of months when the U2 LTD engine takes over and the album is released in November I will be fairly pissed but right now I'm going to go out on a limb and trust Bono... :uhoh:

Yes I realize this is dangerous but if, IF this is a victory for art and creativity over the all mighty dollar and the new album is even close to the hype surrounding it then I am happy to wait.

Based on past history, they'll wrap up the album by November, drop it early March of '09 and begin the tour mid to late April...but that's purely speculative at this point....:hmm:

Normally this would be my guess also. I think something different may be going on this time though. U2 used to take a full year in advance to plan their tours so they pretty much had to have their past albums finished by a certain point (IE what happened with POP). Apparantly their tours don't require quite as much advance timing as they used to. Approximately 6 to 7 months ahead of time. Obviously their tours begin in March or April. So this would fit that time frame if they were hedging on touring next year. I think they are very "tentatively" planning to tour next year but are leaving the option open to wait until 2010 to tour. OR maybe they will start a tour in the fall of 2009 or mid summer 2009. A lot of possibilities. Of course the most logical one is February/March 09 release with a tour to follow in late spring.

I take this as a good thing that they are not rushing the album. Time will tell.

No fear; this is just me in a particularly bad mood.

Imagine how Paul McGuinne$$ must feel about all this. It's like U2 lured him into traffic with a dollar bill on a fishing line.

Paul McGuinne$$ is probably throwing everything in his office, yelling at anyone in sight, cancelling Christmas for his family, firing assistants, opening a bottle of Irish Whiskey, calling Bono, drinking Irish Whiskey straight (no ice), leaving nasty messages with Adam & Larry, smashing gold records with his knee, etc.

Paul McGuinne$$ is probably throwing everything in his office, yelling at anyone in sight, cancelling Christmas for his family, firing assistants, opening a bottle of Irish Whiskey, calling Bono, drinking Irish Whiskey straight (no ice), leaving nasty messages with Adam & Larry, smashing gold records with his knee, etc.

:lmao:

Normally this would be my guess also. I think something different may be going on this time though. U2 used to take a full year in advance to plan their tours so they pretty much had to have their past albums finished by a certain point (IE what happened with POP). Apparantly their tours don't require quite as much advance timing as they used to. Approximately 6 to 7 months ahead of time. Obviously their tours begin in March or April. So this would fit that time frame if they were hedging on touring next year. I think they are very "tentatively" planning to tour next year but are leaving the option open to wait until 2010 to tour. OR maybe they will start a tour in the fall of 2009 or mid summer 2009. A lot of possibilities. Of course the most logical one is February/March 09 release with a tour to follow in late spring.

I take this as a good thing that they are not rushing the album. Time will tell.

Well, either way, I'm hoping for a full on fantastic album. I hope it's a grower like Achtung Baby was for me. A step outside the norm, that made me really listen to it to get the full depth of the album...:up:

:lol:

I realize in a couple of months when the U2 LTD engine takes over and the album is released in November I will be fairly pissed but right now I'm going to go out on a limb and trust Bono... :uhoh:

Yes I realize this is dangerous but if, IF this is a victory for art and creativity over the all mighty dollar and the new album is even close to the hype surrounding it then I am happy to wait.

I'm NOT happy to wait till November 2009. Fuck that. If this vein of theirs is so glorious, and they can return to it after a month off with full confidence, it's not going anywhere. 50-60 songs? They can just return to it and get a fistful of great songs after the tour and make two great albums without skipping a beat. As it is, if it's anything less than the greatest thing they've ever done, it'll be a disappointment. And, unless it's a particularly long album, there's a good chance that all of the hype over those new beach clips was for naught, as those tracks could easily get shoved off the album.

So.......who's looking forward to more .000000012 second U2.com vids in the meantime? :hyper:

:applaud::lol:

Here's what I think.....at this point the only reason why this album should be delayed in 2009 is because U2 are going to come out with a double album.....I mean "50 to 60 tracks"? otherwise I fear a overproduction of songs that don't need overproducing...would have been just easier to digest if Bono had said "With all the songs we have...we're planning to release a double album"

Oh God! Why??? Do they always have to capitalize on maximum sales and awards? They have more money than God! It will be very refreshing if they simply drop an album in February or something with minimal hype. That is the sort of unpredictable U2 that a lot of us have been missing lately!

Yeah - I agree. They've probably moved past the Grammy maximization phase. And album revenue is dwarfed by touring revenue. I think it's a good move to not rush it out.

Wouldn't u2.com be getting a facelift by now if the new album was imminent?

Still that old black and red feel...

50-60 songs means the band won't be quitting anytime soon. This is GREAT news! Now I feel confident that we will get a special album. I hope they have enough gems to give us a 14 track album chalk full of great stuff.

I still hold out hope that if Edge is slicing the moon that they might give a Passengers album along with a classic record.

I so happpppy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hug::hug:

Blue Room, good to see you again! :)

I'm not slogging through 28 pages of this to see if someone else has already said it, but:

DOUBLE FUCKING ALBUM.

If they have this much material, and think it's all that good, it's time for their fucking White Album. Or Physical Graffiti. I mean, it's not like people are suddenly going to start calling them pretentious for it. If any band has earned the right to a 2-fer it's them.

Or maybe, they'll release an EP of songs that didn't quite fit the tone of the album to keep us sated until the fall. There's no way they're going to be able to make people wait an entire year longer after all the hype so far.

I agree with Elfa: I'm going to have faith that the band overrides McGuinne$$ and tells him to stuff the autumn-only strategy. What's the difference between 3x platinum and 4x platinum when you've already come this far?

50-60 songs means the band won't be quitting anytime soon. This is GREAT news! Now I feel confident that we will get a special album. I hope they have enough gems to give us a 14 track album chalk full of great stuff.

I still hold out hope that if Edge is slicing the moon that they might give a Passengers album along with a classic record.

I so happpppy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hug::hug:

You're only happy because you're expecting an shocking, innovative move from U2, plus a Passengers record. I'm expecting the same ol' same ol', but a year in the distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom