No offense to anybody here but...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
redkat said:

Has anyone signed up yet for st.louis ellipse action? :sexywink:

Believe me, if I was going, I would have signed up :sexywink:

Oh and Carlos :shame: I had my lawyers inspect the affidavit and I am being told that the document furnished does not properly address the matter... :tsk:

MysteryGirl said:
Well, I just realized, I have a correction to make. Bono's Tart and friend with the cloth signs were on my left. The whining arm-flailer was on my right.

Guess I had a dyslexic moment! :lmao:
NOOO! Bono's tart and friend were on my RIGHT! That other girl was on my left! Jeez Louise, I guess Boston froze my brain!! :rolleyes:

I had a very unpleasant sign-related experience in Buffalo on Friday. A husband and wife wanted to hold up signs about a friend of theirs who is currently being held hostage in Iraq. My heart really went out to the woman--she was crying and very much upset--so I told her she could hold her sign up in front of or over me for one or two songs (I was on the rail). She seemed convinced that Bono could do something to help, that he was her "last hope," and I didn't have the heart to tell her that realistically, there was nothing Bono could do.

The problem was that her husband was a complete asshole. They were nowhere near me in line, so they'd obviously spent Institute's set pushing their way up to the front. They cut in front of someone who had been in line all day, and that woman politely asked them to let her have her spot back. The husband was right behind me at this point, and he replied, "I don't care. This is more important." He seemed to think that people were disagreeing with the content of the signs and not the fact that he was pushing people out of the way left and right. Everyone started going off on him (I didn't turn around, because I didn't want to get involved), and the ruckus got security's attention.

The director of security came over and told the couple that he'd had a lot of complaints about them, and that if they or their signs interfered with anyone one more time, they'd be thrown out. The husband again got confrontational, basically saying he'd paid for his ticket like everyone else and had as much of a right to be up front and hold his sign up as anyone. The security director told all of the guards nearby to keep an eye on him.

Right as Wake Up started, the pushing behind me got really bad, and the security guard in front of me gave the couple two options: move back or leave. I'm not sure what happened, but when I looked back, they weren't there. After the show, I found their posters ripped up on the floor, so apparently they lost interest in the cause when they realized it wasn't going to get them any interaction with Bono.

:up: to security, because they took care of the situation before it turned into an all-out fight, which I think it would have, and before it ruined anyone's experience at the show. I still feel very badly when I think about how upset the woman was, and I've prayed for her and her friend quite a few times since Friday night, but I wish her husband would've realized that their situation didn't entitle them to push everyone out of the way.

The bottom line is that if someone is polite, he or she will be polite while holding up a sign. I saw plenty of sign-holders who didn't interfere with the people around them. One got pulled on stage. One got the drumsticks Bono and Larry used during Love and Peace. The guy behind me obviously wasn't polite, and I was glad to see him put in his place.

the really sad thing is that some of you people are so obsessed that you actually chase the band around the country so you can get on stage with them. If this somehow makes you feel more special, or more important - then go for it. Hpw about spending half of that time or energy with a charitable organization? Seems very hypocritical for Bono to encourage that kind of behavior by pulling up these people who've followed them to every show on the tour.

I should have said, how about spending half the time or money!! on something more important... Maybe go to DC and listen to Bono tell you how to lead a more active life.

How judgemental of you. You have no idea what they do with their lives outside of their U2 hobby.

Last edited:
I dont think there is anything wrong with any of it, as long as its not encroaching on others enjoyment of the show. Some examples of that have been mentioned on this thread. Pushing to the front like its your right. Holding up a sign constantly to try to get the bands attention, while everyone behind you cant see anything, etc...

I was in the heart on Elevation at the 2nd first leg Chicago show. Bono got pissed at some girl who was about 2nd from the front who kept holding up this huge sign. People behind her could not see. Bono finally mouthed, "put the fucking sign down" and motioned to her to do the same.

Regarding who the band pulls up. Its their perogative. I would bet Bono doesnt remember who he pulled up 2 months ago. If the person paid the price to be there and camped out, etc.. If Bono chooses them they deserve it.

I also dont think most people go to so many shows or look for interaction to make themselves feel important. I think they do it because its alot of fun. Thats what its suppose to be about anyway.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:
I think they do it because its alot of fun. Thats what its suppose to be about anyway.

Yeah. You'd never know it from reading some of the threads during the entire tour. What a shame. Something that's supposed to be so much fun (and is, really, once it's actually happening) should not cause so much stress and hard feelings.

Man. I tell you, I'm just too high strung for the stress of GA. I might explode between now and 12/19. :crazy:

Last edited:
jcarroll28 said:
the really sad thing is that some of you people are so obsessed that you actually chase the band around the country so you can get on stage with them. If this somehow makes you feel more special, or more important - then go for it. Hpw about spending half of that time or energy with a charitable organization? Seems very hypocritical for Bono to encourage that kind of behavior by pulling up these people who've followed them to every show on the tour.

Are these people spending YOUR money to follow the band? If not, then I suggest you keep quiet and let people spend THEIR money on whatever they want....... :tsk:

corianderstem said:

Man. I tell you, I'm just too high strung for the stress of GA. I might explode between now and 12/19. :crazy:

Thats one of the reasons I chose not to do GA on this tour. I burned out completely with it on Elevation and stress over it was a major reason.

Blue Room said:

I was in the heart on Elevation at the 2nd first leg Chicago show. Bono got pissed at some girl who was about 2nd from the front who kept holding up this huge sign. People behind her could not see. Bono finally mouthed, "put the fucking sign down" and motioned to her to do the same.

Getting scolded by Bono must be the most humiliating thing ever.

I've been happy to see people get pulled up on stage this year, because all of them have been so grateful. At the 5/22 Philadelphia show, a girl and her parents were in line not too far ahead of me. It was her sixteenth birthday, and she'd chosen going to the show over having a party. When I saw Bono pull her up, I couldn't help but cheer, because it was so apparent it was one of the happiest moments of her life.

Blue Room said:

Thats one of the reasons I chose not to do GA on this tour. I burned out completely with it on Elevation and stress over it was a major reason.

That will be me, next tour. :wink: Glad I'm not the only one.

Chip I agree with you.

I don't think you are a grumpy old man.

But you have to admit it is amusing to watch the lengths people will go to have their moment.

I almost can't wait for this tour to be over so people can chill.

PartyGirl43

If people want to hold up little signs to band members etc, then its their perogative. But if it gets in someones way, then they a load of bs and the sign is getting ripped to shit... hahah. Everyone pays the same amount to go to a show, and frankly i don't want to be surrounded by selfish arseholes who ar eonly interested in getting drunk, making trouble and trying to get noticed by the band.

Truth really, if bono or anyone looks as you while singing, cool, but its not the end of the world if they don't. Doesn't mean your not worthy, or ugly or whatever, just means bono in that moment decided to close his eyes, blink or turn around. One second later hes moved on your face is gone from his memory and a new one replaces it. And with dancing girls, for some it seems to be their world to get on stage. But why? Bono dances with lots of girls, he probably forgets who they are the minute the shows over. From most reports he seems to boss them around 'look at me, don't dance stay her put your head on my shoulder' etc. obviously he doesn't want some girl molesting him, but it seems like its just a 'going through the actions' thing rather then a spontaneous and fun thing anymore.

Yay for anyone who gets it but really i love the guys, i want to get front row etc, but not for looks or to get on stage but it be near a band i've loved for years, never seen live and wanting to feel the music throughout my body.

Plus im an adam girl , so i guess i dont feel the pull of bonotism as much as others :drool:

MsGiggles said:

Are these people spending YOUR money to follow the band? If not, then I suggest you keep quiet and let people spend THEIR money on whatever they want....... :tsk:

Of course they CAN spend their money on whatever they want, it was merely a suggestion, that, instead of taking themselves so seriously, that there are other things to be devoting time to. Sure, I went to shows in Dublin, Milwaukee & Buffalo, but didn't behave like a moron. Thats who I was talking about (earlier posts in the thread, people wanting/needing to be on stage or part of the show in order to feel the concert was "good"). I have no issues with people going to 50 shows, but acting stupid is, well, stupid. Its called perspective. Most, not all, of the people chasing them around to dozens and dozens of shows could use some.

jcarroll28 said:
Thats who I was talking about (earlier posts in the thread, people wanting/needing to be on stage or part of the show in order to feel the concert was "good")

There are people like that, I've seen/ heard about them first hand and seen them on message boards. Word gets around about people like that, and it's not merely "gossip", they pretty much say it in their own words as well.

It is all about perspective, and it becomes clear that some fans don't have it. I don't care how many shows someone goes to, but there's a difference between that and turning it into a competition-to get on stage, to get attention from Bono, to do whatever you have to do to get your spot (in some cases cheating, let's be real that does happen). And yes, don't depend on attention from Bono to make you feel "worthy", as crap as my self esteem is attention from Bono isn't going to make a difference in that. At what point does it stop being about the music? I'm just wondering.

MrsSpringsteen said:
At what point does it stop being about the music? I'm just wondering.

:up:

I'm really glad that for all my pre-concert worrying about getting a decent spot on the floor, as soon as that concert starts, it becomes all about the music again for me. Until some idiot spills their beer all over me, anyway. :wink:

jcarroll28, :up: to your above post as well.

BonoIsMyMuse said:

Getting scolded by Bono must be the most humiliating thing ever.

I've been happy to see people get pulled up on stage this year, because all of them have been so grateful. At the 5/22 Philadelphia show, a girl and her parents were in line not too far ahead of me. It was her sixteenth birthday, and she'd chosen going to the show over having a party. When I saw Bono pull her up, I couldn't help but cheer, because it was so apparent it was one of the happiest moments of her life.

Yup, and completely unexpected. :up:

MrsSpringsteen said:

There are people like that, I've seen/ heard about them first hand and seen them on message boards. Word gets around about people like that, and it's not merely "gossip", they pretty much say it in their own words as well.

It is all about perspective, and it becomes clear that some fans don't have it. I don't care how many shows someone goes to, but there's a difference between that and turning it into a competition-to get on stage, to get attention from Bono, to do whatever you have to do to get your spot (in some cases cheating, let's be real that does happen). And yes, don't depend on attention from Bono to make you feel "worthy", as crap as my self esteem is attention from Bono isn't going to make a difference in that. At what point does it stop being about the music? I'm just wondering.
Getting attention from any of the band members isn't something I base my self-esteem on, but it is fun. And ALL of the shows I've been to have been awesome, attention or not. Me on stage? :lol: yeah right, I don't even try! But of all the people I've seen on stage, Santa and Elvis were my favorites! Made for some great photos! :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom