No offense to anybody here but...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chizip

Blue Crack Addict
Are people getting too obssessed with either getting on stage with the band and/or doing some sort or group activity to make the show more "special?"

Whatever happened to just going to a show and enjoying it?

I mean it almost seems like everything is a competition these days...who can get on stage, who can have the most special fan action, or group activity to get the best reaction out of the band or whatever. I guess people get off on the band interaction, but are we going too far to get it?

I remember on the Elevation Tour after Bono had brought a couple people to play guitar on stage, everybody and their brother would bring signs to every show begging to be brought up too. If everybody in the front row has a sign asking to play guitar, or to dance with Bono, or to request a song, sometimes it gets too be too much, ya know?

I don't know, maybe I'm just a grumpy old man. And like I said, this thread is directed at anybody or anything specific, just a general idea I'm throwing out there.

Peace.

You mean like the the 36" x 36" sign I heard you're making for St. Louis? What exactly does it say?

uh yeah, I can see what you're staying.

ramblin rose said:
You mean like the the 36" x 36" sign I heard you're making for St. Louis? What exactly does it say?

Well I'm going to display it after streets, and it's going to say "WOW...you need new material"

im hoping he rips it up and asks, "hows that for new material?" :drool:

then id whip out another 36" x 36" sign that says "Play Mofo you Mofos" :drool:

Last edited:
TripThroughWire said:

Because "Mofo" DOES mean something ???

(sorry, just the question of a non-native english/american speaker, who maybe the meaning of some U2 songs sometimes ...:silent: )

mofo means mother f*cker

Chizip said:

Well I'm going to display it after streets, and it's going to say "WOW...you need new material"

Fuck, I'm not going to be there. I always miss the good sign action.:angry:

I agree chizip. I want to get front row, nut not because i want to dance with bono or get on stage but to be close to the music and just enjoy the concert. I mean it would be a wonderful experience for whoever goes up there, but i mean its not like he doesn't do it every night. but each to their own...

but i would go nuts if someone brought some 'omgz i luv u bono!' banner and held it up in front of me...i'd burn it with my lighter...hahahah

*shrugs*

Chizip said:
I don't know, maybe I'm just a grumpy old man.

Yes you are....

:wink:

well... I'm planning on bringing a sign to the Santiago show... at least I know NO ONE will attempt to even do that... hell, I've never seen a show here with anybody bringing a sign.

what will it say?:

"Me on drums + Fast Cars = Larry Dancing"

and on the back: "you know you'll love it" for Bono AND Larry to see it... and laugh.. and let me do it :angry:

that is... IF they play MD and Electric Co... if not, one of those I shall play :love:

I agree with you, Chizip. There does seem to be rivalry between fans and cities, with some threads on this forum very clearly evidencing that by the mud-slinging matches between residents of various places.

Often, it seems like people are turning these rock concerts into a competition or a "me! me!" festival to get themselves on stage. It's become terribly repetitive, really. Someone has an idea and then everyone else follows suit. The Poles had an awesome idea to hold up their national flag colours during their song, New Year's Day. But now it seems everyone wants to follow that trend.

Though as far as signage and stuff goes, I make one exception: signs requesting songs. Let the band know what we want to hear. I would think they'd like to know what their fans enjoy hearing.

I agree, saying that will get me attacked I'm sure :shrug:. I think the internet has much to do with it, there certainly is so much emphasis on that here.

It has become a competition and a "me me" festival for many people, for me personally that's a big turn off. Honestly sometimes it seems that the only people who can have the proper perspective on it are kids who get on stage, that's why I love seeing them up there.

Guess I won't be bringing our Moooooooooooooooooooooooooooofooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sign with multiple sheets of oooooooooos to spread across my group and willing neighbors after all cause it's stupid... :(

Anyway... I agree to a point about the dancing girls, and I have been there... It amazes me to see just how many people walk in with a mentality of "ooooooooooh I NEED to get up there or the show just won't be the same for me" or how people just assume that if you have been up there you are dying to do it again. Yes, some girls are (and believe you me, I roll my eyes as much as the next person when I hear/read that), but not all of us do (although dancing with Adam... that's another thing :wink:) I've pretty much started to ignore the "dancing girls thread" cause I did not like the direction it started to take a few weeks ago...

On the other hand, yes I do bring signs. For quite a few shows now I have been harrasing Adam with dumb little signs printed on 8 by 11.5 pieces of paper that only he can read and half the time the people around me dont even see them and then ask me what the hell I had done to get Adam to stop and "talk". If he had ever given me the impression that he did not enjoy that, trust me, those signs would be HISTORY. Last thing I want to do is become one ot the fans that they get tired of seeing time after time after time.

As far as the fan action ones... there honestly have not been that many. The Portland one, well that sort of fell on my lap. Someone suggested we do something for Portland and you all know me and my bossy ways :uhoh: Someone had to take the lead, though the idea of doing something for the band at that show was not mine...

Don't know what I am trying to say. Other than, there is a way to strike a balance :shrug: I always walk into a U2 show with one expectation, which is that I am going to experience an AWESOME show. Nothing more, nothing else.

Meh.

PS: Oh and Chip yes, you're cranky :sexywink:

Last edited:
Chizip said:
Are people getting too obssessed with either getting on stage with the band and/or doing some sort or group activity to make the show more "special?"

Yes!

I think your sentiment can be applied to many aspects of the tour...
I remember a time when the thought of a GA line didn't make my hair turn grey.

Chizip said:

Whatever happened to just going to a show and enjoying it?

I mean it almost seems like everything is a competition these days...who can get on stage, who can have the most special fan action, or group activity to get the best reaction out of the band or whatever. I guess people get off on the band interaction, but are we going too far to get it?

I remember on the Elevation Tour after Bono had brought a couple people to play guitar on stage, everybody and their brother would bring signs to every show begging to be brought up too. If everybody in the front row has a sign asking to play guitar, or to dance with Bono, or to request a song, sometimes it gets too be too much, ya know?

I don't know, maybe I'm just a grumpy old man. And like I said, this thread is directed at anybody or anything specific, just a general idea I'm throwing out there.

Peace.

wow you are such a hypocrite...

chiz.jpg

so it's OK for you to do it, but not for others? :tsk:

for shame... you have some explaining to do

Chizip said:

sigh

I promise to everyone on interference that I will take pictures of this

but we all know that Chip will have a 36" X 36" sign that actually says "I want to be slow dancing with Bono":wink:

nurse chrissi said:

sigh

I promise to everyone on interference that I will take pictures of this

but we all know that Chip will have a 36" X 36" sign that actually says "I want to be slow dancing with Bono":wink:

I think he should be holding the sign that says "Bono and Adam should kiss more :heart:"
That'll get their attention. :wink:

Re: Re: No offense to anybody here but...

Headache in a Suitcase said:

wow you are such a hypocrite...

chiz.jpg

so it's OK for you to do it, but not for others? :tsk:

for shame... you have some explaining to do

:lmao:

I think all of what Chizip mentions is only a problem when it causes bad feelings among fans ... and not as in, "Shit, I can't believe she got up there and I didn't, I'm so jealous!", but when you have people shoving, and arguing and fist-fighting or whatever was going on at the Boston show the other night.

I mean, come on, people. Get a fucking grip. It makes me so angry to hear shit like that. And you wouldn't like it when I get angry.

RRRRRR! ALICIA SMASH!!!!!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

I agree :up:

I mean, what is this BS about two girls fighting the other day (separate from the flags thing)?

Seriously people. Get a damn grip.

Though sadly, I wish I could be more surprised. I have lost of count of the number of times I have heard girls whisper behind me "we have to find a way to move/get in front that bitch" or something similar... Have also heard a few guys say something like "once the show starts, we have to push our way up!" Normally I just ignore them while looking forward, though there have been a couple instances where they got the Miroslava Skankeye TM along with a "you know I can hear you right?"

:lol:

Signs are good. Its good to try to get your message to the band. I only used sign ever at it was at the Elevation show in Miami. I was just making a funny reference to signs that soon fans at concerts will be advertising products, instead of messages to the band. Truth is its an attention getter but if you get you get your message to the band and something unbelievable happens you earned it. Boston with all the flags was amazing during "One". It does remind me of the Firefighters on stage at MSG on the Elevation tour for some reason. Being Elvis is living like a King. I tell you all Elvis is still alive to this very day.

I'm curious to know who was throwing the business cards on the stage throughout the show on Sunday. At first I thought it was my imagination that I kept seeing cards landing on the stage (I was 1 back from the rail in the ellipse). I think John Sampson must have thought the same thing until I saw him actually pick one up to read wtf these business cards said.

ramblin rose said:
I'm curious to know who was throwing the business cards on the stage throughout the show on Sunday. At first I thought it was my imagination that I kept seeing cards landing on the stage (I was 1 back from the rail in the ellipse). I think John Sampson must have thought the same thing until I saw him actually pick one up to read wtf these business cards said.

:lmao:

lmao!

Now that must have been fucking funny as all hell to see.

Business cards?!?! lol

The drama that went on Sunday night was insane. Bono pointed me out to a security guard during One as if to say pull her up. A girl got mad and pulled me back so the guard couldn't reach me and thought I didn't want to go up. :|

Regardless of that, I'm happy for those who got up.

Back
Top Bottom