NLOTH 30 Second Walmart Clips - DISCUSSION THREAD - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone has opinions, but I still think some people go way too far just to get a reaction. Hence the label of "troll". It's not adding anything to the discussion. It's just throwing a grenade in the room to cause trouble. I'm sorry, but you can't declare "OMG it sucks" or "OMG it's the best ever" by these clips. To do so either way is just not realistic!

yeah i said that basically.

"No Line On The Horizon" - could be epic, but suffers from the same sterile, slickly digital production as the rest of the clips and the last two albums; the last few guitar/piano notes sound like they came out of a song on the DIRTY DANCING soundtrack

"Magnificent" - the requisite predictably U2 song on the album, but the guitar riff (the only one that stands out among these clips) is relatively catchy; the only clip that entices me to listen to the rest of the song, though I wish Edge would ditch his Line 6 gear and come up with a new "Edge" sound (he's really wearing this one out)

"Moment of Surrender" - sounds like a backing track from an Enigma song

"Unknown Caller" - recycles guitar intro from Miracle Drug; sounds particularly demo-y

"I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight" - Pulp B-side meets Jeff Buckley demo meets worst song title of U2's careers

"Get On Your Boots" - U2 trying to be Beck (via Dylan, Costello, Escape Club); sadly is shaping up to be the best song on the album

"Stand Up Comedy" - recycles "The Fly" riff (fitting because sounds like it could be failed Achtung baby demo); chorus sounds like "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" (not surprising, given that the "Vertigo" chorus ripped off "You Keep Me Hanging On", and "Please" ripped off "When Doves Cry")

"Fez – Being Born" - they loved GOYB so much they had to sample it in another song on the same album; the worst 22-second clip of the bunch due to poor clip selection (who gives a damn about the "Zooropa" transition?)

"White As Snow" - "boring as shit"; sounds like a deleted traditional folk song from the soundtrack to the original THE WICKER MAN

"Breathe" - U2 channeling The White Stripes, but with none of the raw power or magic of Jack White's guitar playing or singing/rapping

"Cedars Of Lebanon" - plodding, dull; probably the most egregiously on-the-nose lyrics of Bono's career (even worse than "Crumbs"); from the tiny section we've heard, it sounds like the theme was conveyed better and far more subtly in "Stranger In A Strange Land"

:lol:

You're like a Fat Kid with a bloody nose swimming through a shark tank. Happy swimming!!!! :wave:

^Your opinion fails the moment you say "weak modern Star Wars prequels" :tsk:

WHO'S DISSING THE PREQUELS???!!!! :madwife:

I don't think he's necessarily a troll. can't really base that off only a couple posts in one thread.

I thought you were referring to my post because I criticized his :shrug:

I don't think calling someone a troll means you're insecure about the album. In fact it probably means that you're very excited about the album and don't want to hear anything negative because you disagree. dissenting opinion shouldn't take away from your excitement, but whatevs

He did have a valid point that judging the 30 sec clips as ZOMG AMAZING is just as ridiculous as ZOMG THIS SUCKS. They're 30 seconds, and not even indicative of most of the songs, according to Walt. I just really like what I hear and none of his comparisons really made sense to me.

:up: Yeah, the timing of my post looked like it was referring to you, but it was referring to the PMS comments, dog-kicking, etc. that were unintelligent and mean-spirited.

I think that my point about Star Wars is, die-hard fans of Stars Wars waited and waited...

Then, when they finally saw the films were let down on various levels.

I fully understand the stakes are very lofty for bands like U2, I just wanted to be blown away. The hype from Lanois was very promising, and I don't hear it on these snippets.

Could it be in the crux of each tune, yes.

That is why I said I will wait, but I am NOT blown away by the VERY little I have heard.

:(
What exactly is there to get in your post?

I'm not talking about this post in particular. you just do not get it in general.
You have this incredible (almost sweet) tendency to defend this band who for the 342328 needs no defending. you have no idea how difficult it is for me to write stuff that may not be to positive. you think (as far as I can tell) that people bash U2 because they want to bash them. I am sorry but this is "silly".
it gives me a little bit of a bad feeling to actually be not so enthousiastic about them as I used to be and I think it very egoisitc to say stuff like:"if you dont like it, move on."

This band has been with me since 1984. In very beuatiful or difficult times(loss of loved ones, a break up, on travels around the globe) they been there for me. This is not some band that I diss, this almost (I am trying not to exagerate) like a relationship that I hate to see ended but if you lose interest sometimes it better. They have given me so much and I want this to continue but the last couple of years(with the exception of the vertigo tour which was fantastic) their music IMO doenst have the depth that it used to have.I sit the recordins,the songs, the edge or bonos lyrics.I dont know but it doenst feel the same.

Also, the Line 6 comment is on point.

Edge needs to ditch that shitty Line 6 that he used on Love Peace of Else and Fly live on the last tour. I have no problem with the Line 6 delay pedal. But the guitar is pure poopy pants. I note he was using it in the Fez video on the Guardian Website.

I also understand why he used the telecaster last night, as the Boots sounds it similar to Vertigo in terms of the crunch part.

I think that my point about Star Wars is, die-hard fans of Stars Wars waited and waited...

Then, when they finally saw the films were let down on various levels.

I fully understand the stakes are very lofty for bands like U2, I just wanted to be blown away. The hype from Lanois was very promising, and I don't hear it on these snippets.

Could it be in the crux of each tune, yes.

That is why I said I will wait, but I am NOT blown away by the VERY little I have heard.

I think that's a very apt analogy. I know exactly what you mean since I grew up with the original Star Wars and was somewhat let down by the newer trilogy. Part of it was my huge expectations, naturally. If you're a big fan of anything, can you really keep expectations in check? I mean, honestly, we all want a huge album from U2.

"No Line On The Horizon" - could be epic, but suffers from the same sterile, slickly digital production as the rest of the clips and the last two albums; the last few guitar/piano notes sound like they came out of a song on the DIRTY DANCING soundtrack

"Magnificent" - the requisite predictably U2 song on the album, but the guitar riff (the only one that stands out among these clips) is relatively catchy; the only clip that entices me to listen to the rest of the song, though I wish Edge would ditch his Line 6 gear and come up with a new "Edge" sound (he's really wearing this one out)

"Moment of Surrender" - sounds like a backing track from an Enigma song

"Unknown Caller" - recycles guitar intro from Miracle Drug; sounds particularly demo-y

"I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight" - Pulp B-side meets Jeff Buckley demo meets worst song title of U2's careers

"Get On Your Boots" - U2 trying to be Beck (via Dylan, Costello, Escape Club); sadly is shaping up to be the best song on the album

"Stand Up Comedy" - recycles "The Fly" riff (fitting because sounds like it could be failed Achtung baby demo); chorus sounds like "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" (not surprising, given that the "Vertigo" chorus ripped off "You Keep Me Hanging On", and "Please" ripped off "When Doves Cry")

"Fez – Being Born" - they loved GOYB so much they had to sample it in another song on the same album; the worst 22-second clip of the bunch due to poor clip selection (who gives a damn about the "Zooropa" transition?)

"White As Snow" - "boring as shit"; sounds like a deleted traditional folk song from the soundtrack to the original THE WICKER MAN

"Breathe" - U2 channeling The White Stripes, but with none of the raw power or magic of Jack White's guitar playing or singing/rapping

"Cedars Of Lebanon" - plodding, dull; probably the most egregiously on-the-nose lyrics of Bono's career (even worse than "Crumbs"); from the tiny section we've heard, it sounds like the theme was conveyed better and far more subtly in "Stranger In A Strange Land"

Bitchy review, but some points are quite perceptive (I also had noticed the Enigma influence on Moment of Surrender, I also feel a bit embarrassed by the piano notes on NLTOH).

However, the relentless bitchiness and attempt at shooting down every single song means that some songs are disparaged for being "too clean", and others for being "too demo-ish" - make up your mind!!

(I personally prefer the more messy-sounding clips (Unknown caller,Fez-Being born,White as snow, Cedars of Lebanon), they have that raw Lanois-ish sound that I like so much)

And on a techie point I really do not think Magnificent uses any Line6 gear. The whole thing sounds enormously like Edge's Korg SDD3000 through his Vox AC-30 to me.

Maybe they will pull a rabbit out of a hat, and the songs are better than we all think (those of us who were so hype) or beLIEved the hype machine from Eno and Lanois, and co.

I will hold out hope.

"Man and a Woman" was a great song. Heh.

Wait, you weren't joking when you said: "God this album is totally gonna suck or rule my world, nothing in between."?

I gave you the benefit of the doubt earlier. That's completely silly and nonsensical.

Bitchy review, but some points are quite perceptive (I also had noticed the Enigma influence on Moment of Surrender, I also feel a bit embarrassed by the piano notes on NLTOH).

However, the relentless bitchiness and attempt at shooting down every single song means that some songs are disparaged for being "too clean", and others for being "too demo-ish" - make up your mind!!

(I personally prefer the more messy-sounding clips (Unknown caller,Fez-Being born,White as snow, Cedars of Lebanon), they have that raw Lanois-ish sound that I like so much)

And on a techie point I really do not think Magnificent uses any Line6 gear. The whole thing sounds enormously like Edge's Korg SDD3000 through his Vox AC-30 to me.

I wouldn't be able to tell anyway, but is it possible to see what gear Edge is using from the U2.com clip where he is playing Magnificent?

Allow me to sum up the thread.

"BLEH! U2 suckz!!!111. I know! I'm a real fan! They haven't done anything good since PAWP! I'm stuck in 1997, and I can't get out of it!"

"Boh-no is old!. He's only in it for the $$$!!12!!. STOP TALKING ABOUT AFRICA!!!!1111111"

etc....

"BLEH! U2 suckz!!!111. I know! I'm a real fan! They haven't done anything good since PAWP! I'm stuck in 1997, and I can't get out of it!"

"Boh-no is old!. He's only in it for the $$$!!12!!. STOP TALKING ABOUT AFRICA!!!!1111111"

etc....

I think Bono gets more out of this than $12.

I wouldn't be able to tell anyway, but is it possible to see what gear Edge is using from the U2.com clip where he is playing Magnificent?

Not that I can tell, he has so much gear..

When the tour starts I'm sure we will find out.

I actually don't dislike Line6 gear at all (I've seen Lanois live playing through a cheap green Line 6 delay and his tone was just incredible), it's just that that dark delay in Magnificent sounded very much like a SDD3000 to me

------Apologies for the techie-moment, normal service will now resume-------

I think Bono gets more out of this than $12.

Those were my extra emphatic exclamation points. I'm so incensed with rage that U2 is not bowing to my every whim, that I can't even type with actual exclamation points. I must pound the keyboard with abandon to express my anger!

Not that I can tell, he has so much gear..

When the tour starts I'm sure we will find out.

I actually don't dislike Line6 gear at all (I've seen Lanois live playing through a cheap green Line 6 delay and his tone was just incredible), it's just that that dark delay in Magnificent sounded very much like a SDD3000 to me

------Apologies for the techie-moment, normal service will now resume-------

While I understand the comments about overusing his sound, I think Magnificent is a perfect piece of traditional Edge playing--so perfect and catchy and simple, in fact, that I think the discussion of the delay, etc. almost becomes meaningless. With songs like Crumbs and probably Crazy Tonight, I'm not going to try to defend it. But if there was ever a time for Edge to transport a sound directly from 1984 or 1987, it was for Magnificent.

In my mind, this is close to ideal U2--using the parts of the past that make me love them and fusing it with something new. The rest of that song, especially the beat, is completely fresh and un-80s.

- Moment of Surrender: Maybe not so bad of a tune, I don’t have problem with the clip…maybe the keys are to sound 80’s as some suggested…channel Timmy Kerr. Hahahahaha
- Magnificent – Doesn’t grab me. The riff is classic Edge and sounds like something on a Mick Jagger solo record. The tune might open up as we get past the 22 seconds, hahahahaha
- Moment of Surrender – Sounds decent, I can hear Lanois…the night feel. I think I will like this.
- Unknown Caller – Ambient sounding, I don’t think I mind this, very promising actually…
- Crazy – Classic safe 2000 era U2, nothing bad, nothing great. Might hear it while eating a burger at a chain restaurant at the Mall coming over piped in Satellite Radio.
- Comedy – I just don’t know what to say, the worst thing I have heard from them in a long time. Very Beatles like.
- Fez – I can get into this, this at least doing something different.
- White As Snow – Sounds like the Hands that Built America, I don’t hate this like I did with Comedy.
- Breathe – Eno likes this tune, hmmm, I am not sold. This one seems like it could go either way for me. Bono is doing his preacher/Bullet the Blue Sky voice in the clip which is always interesting.
- Cedars – Nice shuffle beat, ambient enough, I think it will work.

Those were my extra emphatic exclamation points. I'm so incensed with rage that U2 is not bowing to my every whim, that I can't even type with exclamation points. I must pound the keyboard with abandon to express my anger!

I guess. I must also point out that you ignored the 40+ pages of posts that speak about the clips in a manner ranging from positive to absolutely gushing.

p.s. The $12 thing was a joke.

I like the line 6 green delay...I don't care for the other products much. Just wanted to point that out.

Wait, you weren't joking when you said: "God this album is totally gonna suck or rule my world, nothing in between."?

I gave you the benefit of the doubt earlier. That's completely silly and nonsensical.

that indeed was a joke. the long post was as serious as I can get on a forum :)
thank you for the benefit but in a way doubt is such an interesting feeling so

you're welcome:wink:

I'm kinda suprised how... thin... it all sounds. With the emphasis on the sonics in the hype, I thought we'd get a fuller, fresher sound.

The Stand Up Comedy clip was definitely disappointing, but I'll Go Crazy sounds much better than I thought it would.

Overall, I wasn't expecting it to sounds as 80s as it does.

To all the haterz, I have a conspiracy theory I'd like to share: Walmart purposely choose the wortst 22 seconds of each song.

Because they're Walmart. :sexywink:

etc....

:lmao:
"Pawp" :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom