NLOTH 30 Second Walmart Clips - DISCUSSION THREAD - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On that note....who else is puzzled by the choice of the 22 seconds for the FEZ clip? Honestly...who thought that was a good idea? Or is that maybe the best part of the song?

Presuming any thought was given to what portions to cut, it's obviously because that clip includes the transition. You really couldn't figure that out?

Cedars Of Lebanon reminds me of Ground Beneath Her Feet musically. Recycled sounds. You can hear the exact same sounds.

No.

I'll Go Crazy reminds me of In A Little While.

Incorrect.

And for the record, my goal is to talk about the music.

No it isn't.

And of course...no one seems to want to do that here because you all have an agenda. That would be fellating U2 no matter what.

What's your agenda?

I incite no one.

You sure?

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt.

You just have no taste.

I would have understood had you not been a fan for so long. :lol:

? Are you retarded? Does the lead custodian know you're using the computer while you're supposed to be cleaning toilets at the Wal Mart?

"Funny" forum actually where you get slammed for disliking a song but where you can call a fellow interferencer's girlfriend a slut without someone reacting :hmm:

funny how some people take certain phrases one way and other people don't bat an eye... obviously the NHL did bat an eye when Sean Avery said what he said :doh:

The sooner this thread gets locked the better.

a) this insulting shit can end
b) those who can't help but bite back to scandalcrow can not have to put up with him

i have to say, people dont seem enthused about crazy tonight... I love the lead bit as Bono starts singing "its not a hiiiiiiiiillll its a mountain"

the guitars are all very very solid. I know I wont dislike the album now (I havent disliked one yet), but i truely believe I will love it.

I love every clip except for Crazy Tonight. I think it sounds poor. Predictable melody, U2 trying to create a classic U2 song and falling well short of such lofty ambitions, and the lyrics...dear Lord. Sounds like something Shaun Vox would write to mock the band.

^ LOL!! haha well we'll see.. its one of the ones I am most excited about. It does sound like they are tying to create classic U2, but the melody is catchy as fuck

I must admit I am a little upset that "let me in the sound" from GOYB is used in Fez -Being born. I'm not too keen on that line. Its a little annoying in my book and doesn't appeal to me at all. I like GOYB, but the "let me in the sound" bit shits me a little. Its a bit tacky if you ask me.

I must admit I am a little upset that "let me in the sound" from GOYB is used in Fez -Being born. I'm not too keen on that line. Its a little annoying in my book and doesn't appeal to me at all. I like GOYB, but the "let me in the sound" bit shits me a little. Its a bit tacky if you ask me.

fair enough. I think its probably an appropriate lyric to be 'infiltrating' another song. I like the fact that recycling it creates a bit of cohesion ( a-la Oasis in whats the story morning glory where Swamp song shows up twice in intrumental bits, even though it was only a b-side)

May I just say that the cello in Breathe was implemented perfectly and that I absolutely love it? :drool: I wasn't sure how they could work it in, but it sounds extremely playful.

yeah seriously....wtf is up with Bono's voice...I mean it sounds great, better than Bomb, much more clear, and he hits the high notes effortlessly it seems....but there's a thinness to it that I was not expecting at all....it takes away the classic Bono epicness that we're so used to hearing...I don't know....I think these 30 second clips are veeeerrryyy deceiving in a lot of ways....I wouldn't be surprised if, when I hear the songs from start to finish, my opinion will be different. However, at this moment, Bono's vocals are not what Danny Lanois and others made it out to be...how many times did he say Bono was "singing like a bird" ?! I mean yeah it sounds great but where is the thickness and POWER that we're used to hearing....the last truly great record for Bono's voice specifically was AB, and every album after that actually got gradually a little worse each time it seems....But I was expecting NLOTH to be the next great one for BonBon....it's not happening so far....but I could very well just be fooled by these short little clips of seemingly completely random sections of each song...

on another note, a very random note......anyone notice the drum fill at the very end of NLOTH clip? sounds pretty cool, I'm lovin it :up:

Remember that alot of songs was recorded earlier last year and Bonos voice has devolope more since then. Just listen these performences: red wire, bb king, mandela, obama REHEARSAL of Pride. He hasnt sang like this ever. The grammy version of GOYB is sang higher in the verses then on the studio version. Much better.

And I think you will enjoy the new vocals, when I heard the first studio/live versions of HTDAAB I thought he sounded shakier then on Elevation tour. But I was wrong.
When something sounds different we might only react to that and forget to analize the improvement.

The title track is cut just in what could be a killer chorus - btw, doesn´t it remind of Eleanor Rigby? :up:

The sooner this thread gets locked the better.

a) this insulting shit can end
b) those who can't help but bite back to scandalcrow can not have to put up with him

:up: Unfortunately, yes, I'd also beg for :lock: – if we don't get a topic-red-line back in here ...

Most clips are cut in a very unfavorable way, like Magnificent before the song actually kicks in with the first verse, UC and MOS, while sounding interesting, say nothing about the actual song because they're only intros, Fez is a collage of different soundsamples, I'm not excited about that one but curious how it will sound in the end. NLOTH is a good clip, nice chorus, very catchy. I still stand by my strong affection for White as Snow and Cedars, mainly because Bono's vocals are really great. And in Breathe, the "Cockatoo" line cracks me up every time. Btw, listening to the clips, I feel that GOYB is placed perfectly on the album.

for some reason I feel the clip of MOment of Surrender might be from somewhere halfway through the song

anyway
can't get No line ... and Crazy Tonight out of my head and the same goes for Stand up comedy

Isn't it funny how you can kind of tell by the person's screen name whether or not they could be a troll or a Debbie Downer?

sorry, off topic but I just thought it was funny. Man I can't wait to see what happens when the full album comes out. :doh:

Hilarious. I'll leave it at that.

I've also noticed that they have reworked the passage in Breathe before the chorus kicks in, between the Bono rant in the verses and the chorus. There's a part that clearly wasn't on the beach clips. Like in most other clips, the Wall Mart clip for Breathe stops before the really interesting part sets in.

i'm wondering if we can stop using "retarded" as a personal insult.

i suppose i'm not offended if someone says that, like, a process or a thing is retarded, i.e., the process of getting tickets to Bruce was totally retarded.

but to call a person retarded as an insult is pretty awful and, actually, it says a whole lot about the person who thinks that it's a funny way to insult someone. it's like when someone uses "gay" as an insult.

just a thought.

Anyone else think this album is shaping up to have excellent sequencing? The middle 3 songs, the pop/lighter-sounding tunes, are in the middle where they impact overall listening impression the least. When you listen to the entire album front-to-back, the beginning impression is really important, and the ending is obviously important: it determines in large part your emotional/mood perception of the album, whether you want to put the record on for another spin immediately, etc. Because the first third and the last third appear to contain moody, emotional, and even dark tunes (or parts of tunes), I think this is going to give the album an excellent overall "feel" and cohesiveness. The songs in the middle provide a necessary "break" from that mood, and if worse comes to worst at least they are compartmentalized in a place where they can do minimum damage.

The only songs I'm intrigued about switching are MoS and Breathe. I think they will probably work best where they are, but the album might also really work when they are rearranged.

Anyway, wanted to get those thoughts in before we hit 1000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom