NFL Thread II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. It was a short lease situation. Give him one game and see how it goes. If nothing goes wrong, give him another. Otherwise back to the apprenticeship.

That was fun!

We outscored Dallas 66-19 in our two games this season and are a two point conversion away from being 4-0 in this sorry division.

My bad, 4-1. Couldn't edit that post before I remembered. We lose so often it's easy to lose track.

Maybe John Elway will suit up.

How come Denver has to play tomorrow but Baltimore is pushed (for the 2nd time) till Tuesday?

Yeah I don’t understand why they’re liable and don’t get some fancy reschedule meanwhile every other team ever got a reschedule

Is this Denver move a decoy or something? They’re starting a practice squad WR who has all of like two starts at QB at the collegiate level as a freshman.

Like, why not just go full wildcat QB by committee?

What about Washington DC says “we want to watch the New York Giants play the Cincinnati Bengals”?????

There are various playoff relevant matches on right now and this particular matchup is not interesting to this market.

Were Cincy in the NFC East Id understand. But this is the perfect scenario to put “the best matchup” on, not watching teams fight for the battle to being above a .333 win percentage where both sides are without their star players.
I mean... The DC Football Brigade would be in first place if the Giants lost, but sure ok.

The NFC East slap fight has definitely intensified.

Tiebreaker aside, I would happily take our schedule over New York's remaining slate. Only two teams with winning records left to go.

In other news, the Broncos attempted only 9 passes for 1 completion and, though I didn’t watch the game, I am to understand they didn’t attempt the wildcat based upon the fact that all 9 pass attempts came from the same 9th string WR.

Man, fire the whole organization.

The Broncos "quarterback" had a Blutarsky passer rating.

e6b927faed4a21901ba3b6bf9630fad4.jpg

Right. I'm the one who is "being like that."

This is just another example of you being all dismissively ‘I know what I’m talking about and watch me try to make you look small.’ “But sure ok.”

I made a perfectly valid post. Nobody but you in this area is itching to watch the 3-7 Giants play the 2-7-1 Bengals where the Bengals are missing their star young QB and the Giants are missing their star young RB.

You’re a Giants fan. You have bias. Quit fucking coming in here like it’s natural for anyone to want to watch that shit.

:hug:

regional network affiliates are locked in to showing specific games by virtue of geography, they can't just choose to show whatever game they feel like.

cincinnati was the geographically closest game to DC in the 1pm window on fox, that's why you got it. the closest cbs game was dolphins-jets, and you probably could have watched that one instead if the local cbs affiliate was showing football from 1 to 4 (we got the bills game here, as always). those networks wouldn't have any option to pick a different game further away no matter how good or bad any of the teams are. it's the reason i spent the 25 years i lived in nova scotia forced to watch the patriots dominating year after year and perennially shitty bills and jets teams. i only ever got to watch my favourite team during the regular season if they were playing a prime time game, or the one game a year that they played in NY against the giants.

luckily now we live in 2020 and nobody is forced to watch any game they don't want to anymore. in fact, less than 15 minutes after your first post of the day, a very sexy and cool user posted a link to a site where you can watch any game you want.

Last edited:
:hug:

regional network affiliates are locked in to showing specific games by virtue of geography, they can't just choose to show whatever game they feel like.

cincinnati was the geographically closest game to DC in the 1pm window on fox, that's why you got it. the closest cbs game was dolphins-jets, and you probably could have watched that one instead if the local cbs affiliate was showing football from 1 to 4 (we got the bills game here, as always). those networks wouldn't have any option to pick a different game further away no matter how good or bad any of the teams are. it's the reason i spent the 25 years i lived in nova scotia forced to watch the patriots dominating year after year and perennially shitty bills and jets teams. i only ever got to watch my favourite team during the regular season if they were playing a prime time game, or the one game a year that they played in NY against the giants.

luckily now we live in 2020 and nobody is forced to watch any game they don't want to anymore. in fact, less than 15 minutes after your first post of the day, a very sexy and cool user posted a link to a site where you can watch any game you want.

I get that there are ways they select the games, doesn’t mean people want to watch them.

Our CBS 1 PM was Tennessee-Indianapolis, actually. I won’t pretend to know what protocol they go by but I always assumed it was by division first if the local team isn’t on at that time slot (hence Giants as they were the only 1 PM team on). Could be that NS actually was considered in Patriot territory? Not saying you’re wrong but I feel like my experience in Florida (another geographic extreme similar to NS) proved otherwise (anecdotally). In south and central Florida it was dolphins and Bucs, and if neither were on Fox would typically air the NFC South or AFC East matchups (though I swear Fox would favor any NFC East matchup at 4 PM...).

Divisional rivals?

I don't want to jump on and make you feel bad, LN7, but maybe it would help to know that it was the only game LM cared about today and he was watching it very closely? I'm sure there were plenty of other DC Football fans who felt the same way, on top of the regional selection bias.

Even when the Chargers were in San Diego, there were many times I was forced to watch them play, rather than the actual game of the week, same with the 9ers and Raiders. New York team + Regionally close team + Division rival in a close division season, I can see why the programmers opted for that one. But I also get your disappointment in the decision.

Looking more into it, there were only three games on Fox today:

Arizona Cardinals at New England Patriots, 1:00 p.m. on Fox

Carolina Panthers at Minnesota Vikings, 1:00 p.m. on Fox

New York Giants at Cincinnati Bengals, 1:00 p.m. on Fox

I honestly don't see what option was more viable for the DC market.

EDIT: Oh, I see, Fox only broadcast one game total today. You either got the morning or afternoon game. Interesting.

So basically what happened, from what I can tell, is because of Thanksgiving there was no "Game of the Week" which would usually be played in markets where there was no vested interest. The FOX games today were:

Arizona Cardinals (6-4) at New England Patriots (4-6) (Red): Kevin Burkhardt, Daryl Johnston
New York Giants (3-7) at Cincinnati Bengals (2-7-1) (Green): Kevin Kugler, Chris Spielman
Carolina Panthers (4-7) at Minnesota Vikings (4-6) (Orange): Kenny Albert, Jonathan Vilma
New Orleans Saints (8-2) at Denver Broncos (4-6) (Blue, 4:05): Adam Amin, Mark Schlereth
San Francisco 49ers (4-6) at Los Angeles Rams (7-3) (Yellow, 4:05): Chris Myers, Brock Huard

12-FOX.jpg

So, as you can see, there was a LOT of regional programming this week, instead of one overall "Game of the week" like we would normally see.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom