NFL 2007, Part One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Headache in a Suitcase said:
the nfl doesn't want the pats to use video... fine. they're still gonna do it

The real question is WHY?

Do they need to CHEAT to win? I doubt it. So why put your team in jeopardy? Why, as one of, if not THE, premier coach in the NFL, do you blatantly cheat?

I think it is an embarrassment to the team. Isn't Tom Brady good enough? You need to go out and CHEAT by stealing signals to beat an otherwise pathetic team? I doubt Mangini is dumb enough to use the signals in the second game against the Patriots.

I hope the league penalizes the Patriots...mainly to send a message to coaches and teams.

Not to defend the Pats, but, the league issued a warning about this sort of thing to all teams last season. Probably because it was not an isolated issue.

I'm thinking that the Pats are basically guilty of getting caught, and that they are not alone in employing this practice.

They'll get penalized, and rightfully so, but, I just don't get the major outcry. I've watched and followed sports long enough to know that right or wrong, this shit always goes on, and always will.

From Belichick's cryptic statements thus far, what I can gather is that he interpreted the rules differently than the league (or so he is saying), and that in his mind you couldn't videotape the coaches signals to use in that game. So the Pats for all those who claim this is why they beat the Jets, apparently had not viewed any of what was recorded and planned to use it much like game film in preparation for the next game with the J-e-T-S.

Obviously they broke the rule. Did they do so with complete irreverence or did they think they were in compliance by not viewing the tape till after the game, who knows. Probably the former, but I doubt that there is much advantage to be gained from this taping as any smart team will change up signals, use decoy signals and so forth. They may have been able to catch a few things that might help them on a small number of plays, but its not like some people are saying "they knew everything the Jets were gonna do thats why they beat them so bad".

I still think Mangini is gonna regret tattling later on. He's essentially admitting to having participated in the practice himself by doing so. Plus methinks Belichick may want his team to make a statement when the Jets come to Gillette this season, a statement that might make 38-14 look like a nail biter.

I can't understand why this latest cheating scandal is not a bigger deal than Michael Vick. What he did sucks, but it didn't directly affect the outcome of NFL games as this did. I don't believe any NFL coach was that ignorant of the rules, of course when he says 'interpretation' what that really means is his own spin now. Come on he knew what he was doing and that it was wrong. Everyone involved should get at least as bad as Vick got (NFL suspension not jail)

Last edited:
i think it was a genius plan by mangini to, more or less, tip off the NFL as to this practice (which is not cheating whatsoever in my eyes)... piss off the best team in the league. brilliant! no wonder he's the mangenius.

and zoney... why not? every team, every player wants to get the best competitive advantage they possibly can. i mean if they're that good, why scout? who needs to review game tape if you have tom brady!

this is so silly... so what, if an offensive player notices that a coach or a player has a tell that will make it obvious what sort of rush they're in, is the offensive player to just ignore that? "oh, whoopsie, they're not smart enough to mix up their signals and i can tell everything they're gonna do before they do it... oh shucks, i better ignore that information. it wouldn't be right"

please.

AnnRKeyintheUSA said:
Everyone involved should get at least as bad as Vick got (NFL suspension not jail)

that is one of the single most ridiculous statements i have ever read.

So you don't think cheating is a big deal uh?

zonelistener said:
It's not cheating when the Patriots do it...right? :wink:

All of the teams get "tapes" in the NFL of the teams they will be playing. I have reviewed CDs left on airplanes by certain NFL teams we fly...they show the plays (so they can scout like Headache does). The videos do not show coaches calling in plays to the field.

There is prep, and there is cheating. It is like the difference between knowing how another poker player at your table plays, and knowing his actual cards.

And I agree, the video camera is a better technology than binoculars!

That's the difference. And it's against the rules.

AnnRKeyintheUSA said:
I can't understand why this latest cheating scandal is not a bigger deal than Michael Vick.

Come on he knew what he was doing and that it was wrong. Everyone involved should get at least as bad as Vick got (NFL suspension not jail)

From my understanding of the story, Bill Belichick has not electrocuted or strangled any living beings.

While my feelings on this story should be pretty clear, Headache's right - it is awfully ridiculous to compare this to Vick.

i don't think it's cheating... not even a little cheating, and everybody cheats a little.

it's against the rules to use a video camera... fine. fine 'em, take a draft pick. but to suspend everyone involved for a year or longer like vick will get? over something that every team has always done and will continue to always do, just without the brain to use modern technology to help them do it? that's ridiculous.

the jets didn't get blown out because some guy video taped a few signals. the jets got blown out because they suck.

this is so silly... so what, if an offensive player notices that a coach or a player has a tell that will make it obvious what sort of rush they're in, is the offensive player to just ignore that? "oh, whoopsie, they're not smart enough to mix up their signals and i can tell everything they're gonna do before they do it... oh shucks, i better ignore that information. it wouldn't be right"

please.

To clarify my own position, despite my very obvious dislike for the Patriots, and the fact that this specific type of incident is cheating (it's against the rules, so it's cheating by definition)...I still agree somewhat with you Headache. Every team does (and should, if they're smart) scout opponents' signals and plays before the game. And watching the other sideline to try to pick up on those signals. What I disagree with is the use of the video camera, but I can't get myself all worked up over this because we all know every team does it (scout opponents' signals, not necessarily film them), it's a smart thing to do to get a competitive advantage.

Meanwhile, ESPN is shitting bricks, as if all 3 Super Bowls should be "asterisked"...give me a break.

If the Raiders had been caught doing this, we'd all be making "well clearly it does nothing for them" jokes. But since it's the Pats, it's like frickin' Watergate.

I honestly don't care too much about it. I feel like I ought to, but I don't.

So Mangenius knew about this and just sat on it for 5 games, then decides to rat?

Personally I think it's brilliant. It's like stealing signs in baseball. And I'd be shocked if other teams don't do it...I'd bet Parcells has, and it sure looks like the Colts know what's coming sometimes.

But I'm probably a tad biased...

DaveC said:

To clarify my own position, despite my very obvious dislike for the Patriots, and the fact that this specific type of incident is cheating (it's against the rules, so it's cheating by definition)...I still agree somewhat with you Headache. Every team does (and should, if they're smart) scout opponents' signals and plays before the game. And watching the other sideline to try to pick up on those signals. What I disagree with is the use of the video camera, but I can't get myself all worked up over this because we all know every team does it (scout opponents' signals, not necessarily film them), it's a smart thing to do to get a competitive advantage.

Meanwhile, ESPN is shitting bricks, as if all 3 Super Bowls should be "asterisked"...give me a break.

If the Raiders had been caught doing this, we'd all be making "well clearly it does nothing for them" jokes. But since it's the Pats, it's like frickin' Watergate.

I honestly don't care too much about it. I feel like I ought to, but I don't.

well... we disagree on symantics, but we agree on everything else.

Maybe you ppl would like to read some more 'ridiculous' statements on espn.com

GridIronMaidens (9/12/2007 at 1:47 PM)
PATRIOTS FANS who don't understand why this is such a big deal.....DO YOU really want to watch an NFL game where one side is cheating and knows the plays of the other? Don't forget there is also an *issue* with radio frequencies they were using that were unauthorized....WHY?.... WHO else were they *stealing* or sending in signals too? If you can't understand why this is WRONG then your mommas didn't raise you right, Pats fan or not....simple as that it's WRONG.
Report ViolationIroncityborn (9/12/2007 at 1:48 PM)
Top 3 NFL Headlines For 2007:

1) Vick Pleads Guilty To Dog Fighting, Banned From Football For Life...
2) Bellicheck Ratted Out, BelliCheat Banned From Football For Life....
3) Cheatless Pats Flounder Through Season, Deceptive Dynasty....

The Truth Hurts.......

Report ViolationESPIndy (9/12/2007 at 1:51 PM)
SORRY PAT FANS... MAYBE YOU GET TO KEEP YOUR 'SHINY SB RINGS', BUT I CAN BUY ONE JUST AS MEANINGFUL ON EBAY FOR ABOUT $10. AND I KNOW YOU THINK THIS IS YOUR PERSONAL 'SPIN ZONE' HERE, BUT YOUR LEGACY *IS TARNISHED*, BY THE REST OF THE WORLD. AND YOUR ATTEMPTS TO RATIONALIZE, AND ALL YOUR EXCUSES, ARE AS MUCH A HOAX AS YOUR TEAM'S HISTORY.

AND, IF EVERYONE ELSE WAS DOING IT, DON'T YOU THINK *JUST ONE* TEAM WOULD GET CAUGHT? IT'S NOT REAL TOUGH TO SEE SOME SHMUCK WALKING THE SIDELINES, HIDING A VIDEO CAMERA AND POINTING IT AT DEFENSIVE COACHES MAKING THEIR PLAY CALLS. YOU THINK COACH'S LIKE DUNGY ARE DOING THIS CRAP? *PLEEEASE*. HAVE ANY OF YOU DEPRAVED DORKS EVER READ DUNGY'S NEW BOOK? *EXACTLY*. BELICHICK DOESN'T EVEN DESERVE TO STAND ON THE SAME FIELD AS HIM, LET ALONE BE COMPARED TO HIM.

Report Violationghost_looking_glass (9/12/2007 at 1:57 PM)
The Patriots have exploited the NFL in the fullest sense. Defrauded fans and taken to cheating like its a laughing matter. This is the sign of a team that has relied on its cheating ways and became lazy by trying to cut even more corners. The Patriots organization has been addicted to cheating.

Report ViolationToneZone3 (9/12/2007 at 1:46 PM)
The pats fans need to just accept what has happened and stop acting like it was ok....using a video camera is a huge advantage...why do you think bill polian banned cameras on the sidelines for the AFC champ game..... and we know who won that. but they have been accused of doing this at least 4 times not just twice....

Report ViolationTenPlates (9/12/2007 at 1:48 PM)
Shoeless Joe, Pete Rose, Tonya Harding, Belichick, ....... 5 game suspension minumim. replay the game!!

enough said

You are the ridiculous ones if you can't see this is a bigger deal than dogfighting. They cheated. They may not the the only ones but they got caught. If other teams do it they should get busted too but so far there's no evidence on anyone else. I don't think any sucky losing teams cheat otherwise they would not suck.

And I thought only politicians were crooked.

So browsing those posts I see at least a Steelers fan and a Colts fan...what a shocker.

Now I hear Joey Porter is whining that the Pats cheated them...in 2002. Jeez Joey, get over it already.

Maybe people aren't as hyped about the season because the NFL is on an extreme over exposure. Just seems every year it's bigger and bigger. We have NFL network, ESPN throwing in NFL coverage during the offseason...

Or maybe it's with the rash of bad behavior lately that's turning the league into the NBA/MLB with thugs/cheating.

Or maybe cause my 49ers still suck, despite beating an always sucking Cardinals.

They were the suckiest sucks who ever sucked.

and zoney... why not? every team, every player wants to get the best competitive advantage they possibly can. i mean if they're that good, why scout? who needs to review game tape if you have tom brady!

Game tape is allowed...and there are policies to regulate. Yes, reviewing the game tape gives you somewhat of an advantage, AND adds to the chess match that is coaching. It makes the game that much better.

There are rules against taping signals. If the NFL thought it would help competition, they would allow it.

If you do it, and it is against the rules, and you are caught, (;) ), it is cheating.

Stating that the offense is anywhere as bad as what Vick did is absolutely insane. I would bet that anyone who claims that, would not be stating that if this was THEIR team. :rolleyes:

CTU2fan said:
and it sure looks like the Colts know what's coming sometimes.

Yes...it is called "coaching and preperation" - not cheating! :D:up:

Actually, I would find it HORRIBLY ironic if the Colts were caught doing something like this (with Dungy's 'preaching' via his bestseller). It would be, oh, like a Republican Senator getting caught soliciting sex in a men's bathroom!

So Mangina had the tape confiscated 8 minutes into the game. Belichick and staff never saw what was on the tape.

So how did this help the Pats thump the Jets exactly?

Perhaps Bill purposely went out there Sunday to get caught. He didnt like all the hype surrounding the team and the talk of them going undefeated so he needed to do something to take the attention away from that. Mission accomplished. Not only that, but everybody seems to be taking their shots at the team which we only serve as motivation. I don't think many guys on the team enjoy the questioning of their accomplishments over the last six years, which will further fire this team up. They feel slighted over the smallest thing, I'm sure they feel quite slighted now. So congrats to Mangenius for being the reason why the Pats will go 19-0 with an average margin of victory of 45 points.

I wondered that as well...seems unlikely, but then again making Mangenius the fall guy somehow could be his plan. Now people think he's a rat.

randhail said:
Perhaps Bill purposely went out there Sunday to get caught. He didnt like all the hype surrounding the team and the talk of them going undefeated so he needed to do something to take the attention away from that. Mission accomplished. Not only that, but everybody seems to be taking their shots at the team which we only serve as motivation. I don't think many guys on the team enjoy the questioning of their accomplishments over the last six years, which will further fire this team up. They feel slighted over the smallest thing, I'm sure they feel quite slighted now. So congrats to Mangenius for being the reason why the Pats will go 19-0 with an average margin of victory of 45 points.

This is a funny post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom