NFL 2007, Part One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the final ruling from the NFL:

Bill Belichick has been fined $500,000 by the NFL. That is the maximum amount under the NFL Constitution and By-Laws for violating league policy last Sunday on the use of equipment to videotape an opposing team’s offensive or defensive signals.
The Patriots have been fined $250,000 by the NFL.
The Patriots will give up their first-round pick in 2008 if they make the playoffs. If they don't make the playoffs, they will surrender their second- and third-round picks.
Belichick will not be suspended.

Given the Pats have the 49ers first round pick in the next draft, this isn't the worst thing in the world. I wonder if Goodell would take away the higher pick or whether this only applies to the Pats' actual pick and not acquired ones.

Although it seems to punish the organization more than Belichick himself, but it's good that he's not getting suspended over this.

zoney! said:

Game tape is allowed...and there are policies to regulate. Yes, reviewing the game tape gives you somewhat of an advantage, AND adds to the chess match that is coaching. It makes the game that much better.

There are rules against taping signals. If the NFL thought it would help competition, they would allow it.

If you do it, and it is against the rules, and you are caught, (;) ), it is cheating.

Stating that the offense is anywhere as bad as what Vick did is absolutely insane. I would bet that anyone who claims that, would not be stating that if this was THEIR team. :rolleyes:

fine... but he still wasn't cheating. he was preparing to cheat. :wink:

mangenius had his way... he ratted out the ol' boss, like an informant for the FBI, probably hurting his chances of getting rehired anywhere else with his new rat reputation... but, alas, we now know these two things...

1. the tv coverage of the next post-game belichick mangenius hand shake will be covered more than the fall of the berlin wall.

2. the jets still suck.

Last edited:
randhail said:
Given the Pats have the 49ers first round pick in the next draft, this isn't the worst thing in the world. I wonder if Goodell would take away the higher pick or whether this only applies to the Pats' actual pick and not acquired ones.

Although it seems to punish the organization more than Belichick himself, but it's good that he's not getting suspended over this.

I think it will be their own first-round pick, based on the language in the statement.

Being personally fined half a million dollars is a lot, but he broke the rules, so no argument there. Goodell's ruling is sufficient.

I love how it's the Jets that he's taping. The Jets.

My favorite would be if it was the Eagles, because Belicheck wouldn't be able to make heads or tails of the scheme. None of the Philly fans can.

phanan said:

Goodell's ruling is sufficient.

Agreed.

Quick side note:

Back in 1994, I interned at the NFL and Goddell was there then. Even way back then, you could tell that this dude was going to get groomed to possibly take over. He was one of the few nice people on the executive level of their old headquarters. Would actually make eye contact and say "thank you" when you handed him the daily clippings.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i see the eagles are all complaining that they deserve the super bowl rings from when they lost to the pats now.

boo fucking hoo.

That's fantastic...they should get together with Joey Porter and have themselves a pity-party.

Good for them. I hope the whole NFL is walking around thinking the Pats only won because they cheated. I especially hope the Chargers have that mindset. Yep SD, the Pats suck, now that they're caught out for cheating you guys can walk all over them. Without videotaping Norv Turner is better than Belichick.

I doubt it though...San Diego probably still has their panties in a bunch because the Pats mocked Merriman's taunts - speaking of cheaters.

I'm an Eagles fan, and I think they're being ridiculous. They apparently forget that McNabb practically slowed down to a crawl during their last few drives, letting so much time run off the clock. The Eagles could've won that game whether the Patriots were taping or not had McNabb hurried up.

The Patriots broke the rules. Fine. They got punished for it and that's it.

I'm really astonished how some players and coaches around the league are piling it on and whining about this, and questioning any of their previous wins. If it was any other team, it would have never gotten this big, but because it's the Patriots, all hell has broken loose.

They used the videotape to help in their preparation. Other teams may or may not use a camera, but they still do the same thing to help them prepare. It's really no different.

It's interesting how some of the younger coaches are commenting about this, but the ones who have been around a long time basically have nothing to say. Haven't heard Mike Shanahan say much lately, have you? Gee, I wonder why.

And obviously coaches of years past know all about this, as it went on all the time. Just listen to what John Madden said...

Madden charged up over stealing signs
By Susan Bickelhaupt, Globe Staff | September 14, 2007

John Madden admits he's a football guy. He loves to talk X's and O's, or debate a quarterback matchup.

So when the Michael Vick story overshadowed the NFL's preseason, Madden was not pleased. Now the "Videogate" story threatens to take over the game he'll be broadcasting Sunday night for NBC between the Patriots and San Diego Chargers at Gillette Stadium.

"You hate to see that overshadow the game," he said. "This is one of the games, that when the schedule came out, you really looked forward to. These are two of the top five teams in the NFL. There's so much meat on this bone."

Madden's words came hours before NFL commissioner Roger Goodell - in a move that will certainly compromise the topic of conversation in the booth - fined Bill Belichick $500,000 and the Patriots $250,000, and took away a draft pick.

Madden, who coached the Oakland Raiders from 1969-79, said stealing signs is nothing new.

"Well, I mean, we all did it, and that was part of it, getting signals," he said. "Every coach in the world is always pushing to get a competitive advantage, that's always been happening.

"And if they are giving away cues, or clues, or whatever tendencies that you could pick up, you take them, and you play against them.

"Part of it is a player giving away a play. Part of it can be the snap count, part of it can be signals that they're signaling in, or you hear the things they yell. That's always been, happening from Day 1 of football."

The difference now, he said, "is it's become so sophisticated compared to when I coached. They not only have the tape after the game, but they have all the computer stuff to edit it. They know so much more about each other than we ever did."

Other than that, he said, nothing has really changed.

"It did happen when I was coaching, before I was coaching, and after I was coaching," Madden said. "The difference here is using videotape."

Madden also bemoaned the fact that the controversy detracted from last Sunday's game.

"The Patriots were so impressive against the Jets, especially their offensive line," he said. "They played really well, so there was a lot of good football there and a lot of things that they can carry over into this game."

So, does the controversy get him more excited about calling the game?

"No, I'm excited about the football," Madden said. "I'm a football purist. I have great passion and I love the game and great players. So the thing that excites me more than the news around it is having a player like LaDainian Tomlinson against a Tom Brady, and the defense of the two teams. That, to me, overshadows all this other stuff, and I hate it when this other stuff overshadows the game, because it shouldn't."

And it wouldn't bother him if Belichick was as reticent with the broadcast team in its weekend meeting with the coaches as he was with the media Wednesday when addressing the videotaping. "That's OK," Madden said. "I just want to talk about his football team."

He figures that's what most fans care about, too.

"It's a sidebar, what happens to Belichick," he said. "But if I'm a viewer and if I turn on the television to watch the game, I want to see the Patriots and Chargers."

Last edited:
It's no surprise that Madden would defend cheating since he did it with the Raiders, all that stickum and dirty tricks they used.

CTU2fan said:
I'm focusing on the Chargers...

I'm hoping that S. Jackson and Willie Parker get their acts together. I have both of them on my team and they combined for 9 points. LT had a HORRIBLE day by his terms and he still accounted for 19 points.

CTU2fan said:
I'm focusing on the Chargers...

I betcha the Pats are too- with illegally placed cameras! :lmao:

Seriously, this is much more detrimental to the league and its integrity than Vick's dogfighting, or Wade Wilson's Viagara use (he was suspended for five games) Wilson is upset at the 'inconsistent' handing out of suspensions:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3019472

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom