New U2.com subscriber gift known... sort of.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that is a a good point. Sometimes a new version does a lot to an old track. U2 don't do it quite as well as Bob Dylan but they do do it sometimes. The Fly and Bullet the Blue Sky do change every tour for example.

And they did play many songs that were new tour, so we are not that pathetic.

Point well taken though.

If making CD's is too expensive, then perhaps U2.com can sell the other 22 songs in mp3 format. This will allow people to cherry pick their favorites that didn't make the subscription CD.

Just do something - don't just "toss" those other songs. :wave:

I agree, I suggested this on U2.com. Have whatever does not make it available for a download through U2.com. I do not care if they charge extra for them (which I imagine they would). Just make them all available in some form.

Looking at the most recent totals it wont be an awful 22 song set. I just wish Crazy and Walk On would drop off in favor of 40 or Breathe and/or Electrical Storm which are the only other rarities or semi rarities even close to making the cut.

Also the Crazy Tonight remix was on the fanclub disc from two years ago, so why vote for that one?

I voted for it because I want it with the Discotheque snippet. And because I see Crazy Tonight as one of the pillars of the 360 tour. I loved it, it was brilliant, and yeah the version we got already doesn't do it justice.

It would be nice if U2.com gave everyone the option of buying all of the individual tracks so that those who want to can get their hands on the rarer stuff that frustratingly appears to be getting shunted out by the casuals. The idea of having been given this opportunity and yet not ending up with Stingray or Electrical Storm is just too :doh: for words really.

If you listen to the clip from 'Crazy Tonight' though, it's taken directly from the 2009 Croke Park version which we already have.

The U22 version of Go Crazy is literally the exact same performance as the one released twice on Artificial Horizon and Wide Awake in Europe.

If you listen to the clip from 'Crazy Tonight' though, it's taken directly from the 2009 Croke Park version which we already have.

The U22 version of Go Crazy is literally the exact same performance as the one released twice on Artificial Horizon and Wide Awake in Europe.

While I wish we didn't get Crazy Tonight, just because the preview is from the '09 Croke Park gig it doesn't necessarily mean that that version will end up on the U22 CD. We could get any performance.

:up: this

Oh, One Tree Hill should not make it!

The beatings will commence shortly. :madwife:

I voted for it because I want it with the Discotheque snippet. And because I see Crazy Tonight as one of the pillars of the 360 tour. I loved it, it was brilliant, and yeah the version we got already doesn't do it justice.

:up:

I can't remember if I voted for it, but all of this logic is right. And as much as I'm not a fan of the song on NLOTH, I really enjoyed it in concert. My sister, who never saw U2 before a 360 show and never heard "Crazy", loved the version she heard at the show. That proves the audience connected to it. :yes:

I wouldn't mind a new version of the Crazy mix, if there was a guarantee that it had the Discotheque snippet... but there is no guarantee. It was a no vote for that alone.

I would bet that it is going to be the version.

I would say that is the case also. So basically people are voting for the EXACT same song and version, that has been released twice officially already and that some are saying does not even do that live song justice. Good call voters! :wink:

I do not understand those saying they voted for it because of the Discotheque snippet either. Where does it say it contains that? Seriously? people are voting for a 20 second snippet that most likely is not even on it over full songs that have never been released before?? :huh:

I had a very simple criteria in selecting these songs.

I voted for the songs that were not on the Rose Bowl 360 DVD or any other official live release first, whether I liked them or not. Then I filled up the balance of the list with some of my favourites. I'm not a fan of "Your Blue Room", but I voted for it because we don't have a live version of it. That just seems self evident to me.

So if Mothers of the Disappeared or Spanish Eyes or One Tree Hill (one of U2's best songs) of Zooropa don't make it, then the whole thing is just a joke. And it's not because I love those songs...it's because we don't have a 360 version of them. In fact, I don't believe there's a live version of Spanish Eyes out there at all in any official release. And One Tree Hill in New Zealand for crying out loud. But hey, what do we need those for when we can have yet another version of ISHFWILF, right?

I think getting songs that we don't have live versions of, particularly versions from the 360 tour, is a no brainer. I don't care how much you love Crazy Tonight or Ultraviolet; no one version of those songs or any from the Rose Bowl DVD is different enough from any other version from that tour to justify it knocking out a song that we don't have an official 360 tour version of, period. But to each her own.

This is looking like it's basically going to be 75%+ the songs we already have on the Rose Bowl DVD, just proving that U2.com is right w/their fan club releases...no matter what the "fans" say, all they want is the same old same old. They know their customers well. Everyone bitched about Duals because it was just a collection of stuff they already owned...so here's the opportunity to actually get some new stuff, and what do people do...vote for stuff they already own, or at least have access to. Unbelievable.

Well, maybe not so unbelievable.

Blue Room said:
I agree, I suggested this on U2.com. Have whatever does not make it available for a download through U2.com. I do not care if they charge extra for them (which I imagine they would). Just make them all available in some form.

Looking at the most recent totals it wont be an awful 22 song set. I just wish Crazy and Walk On would drop off in favor of 40 or Breathe and/or Electrical Storm which are the only other rarities or semi rarities even close to making the cut.

Give us the 22 for free as members, release all the songs on iTunes for download.

Give us the 22 for free as members, release all the songs on iTunes for download.

I agree. Just do something with the other tracks. We all know some of the favorites will make it. Sad, but that's the way it is, oddly enough (one would think fans would know better).

So let's pay for the rest as we want. :) :applaud:

The reality here is this: Elevation has been picking up votes in the past couple of days, passing 40, and it is on the heels of Crazy Tonight's last spot. :crack:

Roland of Gilead said:
The reality here is this: Elevation has been picking up votes in the past couple of days, passing 40, and it is on the heels of Crazy Tonight's last spot. :crack:

:facepalm:

I don't post here in more than a year I guess.

I only feel like posting again to ask, from the bottom of my heart: how the FUCK Your Blue Room, HMTMKMKM (ESPECIALLY THIS ONE, ACTUALLY), Electrical Storm, Mothers Of The Disappeared and Return of the Stingray Guitar are NOT on this? For fuck's sake people, let's take this opportunity.

Wow, it looks like U2.com knows how this thing should turn out & are perhaps surprised at the results. This is from the newsletter email they sent out today:

Bad, Magnificent, Streets and Ultraviolet are in the lead. One Tree Hill, Zooropa and Out of Control have a good chance of making the cut. But Spanish Eyes, Your Blue Room and Return of the Stingray Guitar are in danger of missing out.

What are we talking about ?

We're talking about the latest polling for 'U22'. We're talking about 22 tracks that might make the final cut of the new live double-CD... and 24 tracks that might not.

Should this be a greatest hits live collection ? Or the chance to own some of the rarest U2 tracks, songs the band totally surprised us with on U2360° ?

When I've heard about this I was really glad that finally they were doing something for the fans. And said fans fuck that up. Nice.
Now I wished they just had released it without imput from fans, it seems that they were going for the "rare collection of live tracks".
Then people keep bitching why they're still playing One every godamn concert...

Oh, fuck off, U2.com. If you want to release those rarer tracks, then fucking release them. Don't put it out there for your gajillion members to vote on and then act all surprised by what gets chosen.

If I could go vote again with further thought, I'd make some different selections. But you know what? For once in my life, I'm not going to get all worked up over something U2 related. :wave:

From the latest U2.com newsletter

'U22' - Latest Poll Snapshot - Listen To Three Tracks

Scroll Down the U2.com home page to our Audio Player and listen to clips of 'Real Thing', Scarlet' and 'Breathe' right now.

Has anyone found these songs on the home page yet? The title suggests we can listen to whole songs (as you can already listen to the other 40 clips). And a simple piece of internet trickery would give us downloads of 2 tracks that are likely to miss the cut.

Here's the latest snapshot:
Bad 3.31%
Where The Streets Have No Name 3.21%
Magnificent 3.2%
Ultra Violet (Light My Way) 3.17%
One 3.07%
Even Better Than The Real Thing 2.93%
With Or Without You 2.78%
Beautiful Day 2.76%
Moment of Surrender 2.7%
The Unforgettable Fire 2.67%
City Of Blinding Lights 2.6%
All I Want Is You/Love Rescue Me 2.6%
I Still Haven’t Found What I’m looking For 2.57%
Until The End Of The World 2.55%
One Tree Hill 2.4%
The Fly 2.36%
Zooropa 2.35%
Out Of Control 2.33%
Walk On 2.32%
Stay (Faraway, So Close!) 2.31%
No Line On the Horizon 2.3%
Elevation 2.26%
---------------------------------------
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (Remix) 2.26%
40 2.23%
Mysterious Ways 2.23%
Vertigo 2.21%
I Will Follow 2.13%
Sunday Bloody Sunday 2.06%
Breathe 2.06%
Electrical Storm 2.04%
Pride (In the Name of Love) 2.03%
New Year’s Day 2.02%
Miss Sarajevo 1.92%
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me 1.89%
Unknown Caller 1.75%
Get On Your Boots 1.54%
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of 1.54%
In A Little While 1.53%
Mothers Of The Disappeared 1.43%
Desire 1.35%
Spanish Eyes 1.33%
Return Of The Stingray Guitar 1.29%
Your Blue Room 1.21%
Party Girl 1.18%
Angel Of Harlem 1.02%
Scarlet 0.99%
I decided to go for tactical voting, choosing all the rare tracks, but instead of picking some other of my favourite songs to get to 22, I voted for those tracks already in the top-10.

As I see it, this works two ways:
- Say, Angel of Harlem is one of my favourite songs and Party Girl is a rare song. If I would vote for both of them, both their vote counts would increase by the same amount (1), the difference in votes between them would remain the same (0) and so they would remain in the same relative position to one another. If, however, I vote for Party Girl and for a sure winner (Bad), the vote count of Party Girl would increase while that of Angel of Harlem stays the same, getting Party Girl one vote closer to being in the top-22. Meanwhile, the vote on Bad doesn't negatively affect the rare tracks as it's already top of the list anyway and I'm not under the illusion that Bad would ever fall out of the top-22.
- Say, Mysterious Ways is one of my favourite songs and Party Girls is a rare song. Mysterious Ways is only 3 places below the cut-off point. If I would vote for both of them, I could potentially push Mysterious Ways into the top-22. But the usual suspects (Bad, Streets, etc.) remain in the top-22 as well. So instead of helping Party Girl, I have actually assured that it won't be in the top-22, as the top-22 is already filled with the usual suspects + my non-rare favourites. By voting for Party Girl but not for Mysterious Ways and picking Bad instead, the relative position of Party Girl to Mysterious Ways improves, while the vote for Bad doesn't do any harm as it's the number 1 anyway.

Of course, it would take 1000s of voters to do the same for it to have any effect. But it's still nice to do a bit of reasoning.

corianderstem said:
Oh, fuck off, U2.com. If you want to release those rarer tracks, then fucking release them. Don't put it out there for your gajillion members to vote on and then act all surprised by what gets chosen.

If I could go vote again with further thought, I'd make some different selections. But you know what? For once in my life, I'm not going to get all worked up over something U2 related. :wave:

In all fairness, I suppose they could just be voicing the two main opinions that fans have about the disc. Still, it struck me as favoring a collection of rarities.

From the latest U2.com newsletter

Has anyone found these songs on the home page yet? The title suggests we can listen to whole songs (as you can already listen to the other 40 clips). And a simple piece of internet trickery would give us downloads of 2 tracks that are likely to miss the cut.

you have to logout to see it :doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom