New Album Rumors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've done quite some research regarding the next album.
In addition to those songs listed at @u2.com I did some own research.
I found some quite interesting facts in the HTDAAB special edition Book:
Lower left corner of the page with all pics from the beach and studio, theres a picture of an acoustic bass I think and a board:
To the right on the board

Love is...PERFECTO
JUBILEE (STIR MY SOUL)
GOOD MORNING and aslo Chorus?
LEVITATE
SOMETIMES and also MIK

Levitate and Sometimes were both released after the album or on th album.
But Jubilee and good morning weren't.
Love is... perfecto seems to be a perfecto remix of Love is blindness perhaps?

To the left on the board
...TAR MIX / RO M-8 PULSE
ELEVATED POD MIX INTO BRIAN BV
...MP PAY(eller FAY) MIX TALK AT END?
SINGLE MIX

...tar mix could be gui- tar mix or Northern S- tar Mix.
Northern Star is said to be a song about johnny cash which the band wrote during the HTDAAB sessions.

Elevated Pod Mix sound like some kinda remix.

...mp Pay Mix I have no idea. could be some kinda remix too.

Single Mix could be anything.

On the right side of that opening we can see a pic of the edge's dm4. (golden guitar thing)

Upper row:
XANAX 2
SPIDERMAN SLIDE SOLO 4/11/03
XANAX 1
TREASON SLIDE 6/11/03

Xanax = xanax and wine settings

Spiderman slide solo could be the song u2 worked on for the spiderman movie, but eventually the song didn't make it to the movie.

Treason sounds like something completely new! Exciting!

the row below:
..5/04 ...GINAL...DE
NEANDER(something??) 21/3/04 "churitas" (or something?)
ALL BECAUSE FLOOR 3" SG GUITAR 24/3/04
SHARK SOUP STUDIO2 9/3/04 floor OTR

I'm pretty sure ..5/04 ...GINAL...DE is OriGINAL of the species SliDE.

Neanderthal (let's assume it's what it says.) Could be a new song or a description of what that sound sounds like, such as "747" is the name of the sound created for the intro of Gone and MOFO.

All Because=All Because of you SG guitar sound.

Shark soup could be the same as stated in Neanderthal.

What we get of this research is 7 possible new songs:
Neanderthal
Shark soup
Spiderman
Treason
Jubilee (Stir My Soul)
Good Morning
and Northern Star.

Think about it: Mercy was in the book but not on the album.

That would be cool, lol!!

Spider-man rules, my fave, woulda been cool to have a U2 tune to go with my fave super hero!

Appearently Bono really like the movie, he saw an early screening when they were working on the tune...."Sky Hawk," was the working title I believe!

:wink:

Shark Soup = Vertigo.
Bono told this in an interview with a Spanish Television.

And I think the Spiderman song is City Of Blinding Lights. A song about New York, with a slide solo... That changed its title from Sky Hawk to Firefly... it could be.

Edge89 no no, it's a guitar effects pedal, the Shark Soup is the sound on that pedal, which is the same as the band Shark Soup, a punk band. it's a distorted punk sound.
IE=Vertigo.

Stir My Soul (Jubilee) is Beautiful Day

Spiderman is probably COBL, which was previously Firefly, rumored to be on the Spidrman soundtrack
I think this is the same song as Skyhawk

"Love Is" could be Mercy

love is when I lie
love is the end of history etc.

Last edited:
Treason slide is just the effect for when Edge plays slide on whichever song. They probably just name them to distinguish them apart. He plays slide on Somtimes, MD and COBL off the top of my head.

Like it says Spiderman slide, I think we are defintely talking about COBL here.

U2DMfan said:
Treason slide is just the effect for when Edge plays slide on whichever song. They probably just name them to distinguish them apart. He plays slide on Somtimes, MD and COBL off the top of my head.

Like it says Spiderman slide, I think we are defintely talking about COBL here.

"Treason" is the song U2 recorded with Dr Dre..

U2DMfan said:
Edge89 no no, it's a guitar effects pedal, the Shark Soup is the sound on that pedal, which is the same as the band Shark Soup, a punk band.
Didin't I write that, as well? let's see...

And what did I write there??

Neanderthal (let's assume it's what it says.) Could be a new song or a description of what that sound sounds like, such as "747" is the name of the sound created for the intro of Gone and MOFO.

See? :wink:

U2DMfan said:
"Love Is" could be Mercy

love is when I lie

love is the end of history etc. [/B]

That's one theory, that Love is... could be an early name for Mercy, which became the track's title later, (see the book's tracklist.)

But the lyrics are
Love hears when I etc.

If you say Shark Soup is Vertigo then fine. I didn't say it wasn't, allright?

I was just writing down my thoughts here too see what you guys knew and thought about them.

Sleep Over Jack said:

"Treason" is the song U2 recorded with Dr Dre..

God, I can only imagine how cool a U2 album produced by Dr. Dre would be. Say what you want about hip hop, but the guy knows his way around a recording studio, and knows a good hook when he hears one.

He previously mixed a song for Nine Inch Nails a few years back, and it sounded great.

If only U2 were still ballsy enough to try something like this...Dre would have done some crazy shit with POP, I'm guessing.

That might be the new angle they need, lol!

Seriously though...what else can U2 do? I was gonna start a thread like this but since this is 'kinda' about new u2 album rumours, i'll discuss here...

What else could U2 do? And still be a rock band? I'd like it is they explored the industrial sound of Love and peace, and imagine that idea with Dre producing...would be wild...but too much like Pop or Achtung maybe??? sounds more like a mix of those 2 records really....wow...now theres a thought...:drool:

I think they should bring back Eno/Lanois.

Some of you say that a new producer would be needed to change up their sound a bit, but remember that every time Eno and Lanois produced an album, it marked a career changing event every time.

First you had the Lillywhite trilogy with basically the same style, then Eno/Lanois came in and totally revolutionized U2's sound with The Unforgettable Fire. Then again they took a new direction with The Joshua Tree which didn't change until they teamed up once more with Eno/Lanois to deliver Achtung Baby. Then their general 90's sound stayed around until 2000 when guess who? That's right Eno/Lanois came and helped U2 change once more. HTDAAB kept on with the tradition of ATYCLB with different producers.

So I say, if we want a new sound from U2 again, bring in Eno and Lanois. It WILL HAPPEN if they do.

The_Edge89 said:

Didin't I write that, as well? let's see...

And what did I write there??

See? :wink:

That's one theory, that Love is... could be an early name for Mercy, which became the track's title later, (see the book's tracklist.)

But the lyrics are
Love hears when I etc.

If you say Shark Soup is Vertigo then fine. I didn't say it wasn't, allright?

I was just writing down my thoughts here too see what you guys knew and thought about them.

You asked Rastat is he/she was sure, and I was just backing him/her up on the point, wasn't trying to be a know it all.
I was pointing out that Shark Soup was the sound on the pedal.
I had a few drinks in me last evening, so cut me some slack. :)

are these not lyrics in Mercy?
Love is the end of history
Love is when I lie
love is justice not charity
love is come again
etc.

I didnt even use any bold either. :wink:

Last edited:
U2DMfan said:
are these not lyrics in Mercy?
Love is the end of history
Love is when I lie
love is justice not charity
love is come again
etc.
:uhoh: They're not the lyrics from my version of Mercy....

Mine are:
"Love hears me when I lie,
Love puts the blue back in my eye....."

And then later there's this: (which I think you were talking about)

"Love is the end of history,
The enemy of misery,

And a bit later (or maybe earlier) there's this:

"Love is justice, not charity,
Love brings with it a clarity"

Last edited:
Lancemc said:
I think they should bring back Eno/Lanois.

Some of you say that a new producer would be needed to change up their sound a bit, but remember that every time Eno and Lanois produced an album, it marked a career changing event every time.

First you had the Lillywhite trilogy with basically the same style, then Eno/Lanois came in and totally revolutionized U2's sound with The Unforgettable Fire. Then again they took a new direction with The Joshua Tree which didn't change until they teamed up once more with Eno/Lanois to deliver Achtung Baby. Then their general 90's sound stayed around until 2000 when guess who? That's right Eno/Lanois came and helped U2 change once more. HTDAAB kept on with the tradition of ATYCLB with different producers.

So I say, if we want a new sound from U2 again, bring in Eno and Lanois. It WILL HAPPEN if they do.

Nothing against Eno/Lanois but I think they - and Lillywhite - had a role in the sound of the last two albums. I don't see them getting away with the "U2 sound" again, so - time for a new producer.

U2girl said:

Nothing against Eno/Lanois but I think they - and Lillywhite - had a role in the sound of the last two albums. I don't see them getting away with the "U2 sound" again, so - time for a new producer.

What do you mean "getting away with the "U2 sound"". Shouldn't U2 sound like U2? :huh: They are not that other band that starts with a C.......:huh:

I mean they will get a big backlash by the media and reviewers if the next album sounds like Bomb and (smaller parts of) ATYCLB.

Personally, I really liked the last two albums and I don't mind U2 sounding like U2, but you know, the critics may not.

Ive got a revelation for you people...U2 sounds like U2 on every album they have made from Boy to Bomb. U2 should just make the record that they want to make and not worry about what other people are saying, because really it is not relievent to the process of making a record. Whether it be critics or Interference people, everybody is going to want and expect something different, so I would just go in with a fresh approch and the ideal that they will make the best record they can make whatever the sound turns out to be it will still sound like U2, because after all it is U2.

Rastat said:
Shark Soup = Vertigo.
Bono told this in an interview with a Spanish Television.

And I think the Spiderman song is City Of Blinding Lights. A song about New York, with a slide solo... That changed its title from Sky Hawk to Firefly... it could be.

This is correct

"Love is" had the title "Love is all around"....a left over from the "behind" sessions.

The_Edge89 said:

You sure?

So Shark soup+Native son+Full Metal Jacket became Vertigo? :eyebrow:
Seems like a lot of work...

Sorry, too many days without interference... :p

Yeah, I'm sure, Bono told this to a spanish reporter in a live interview. It was the same reporter that convinced him to change from "uno, dos, tres, catorce" to "uno, dos, tres, QUINCE" at Chicago. The reporter was Santi Millán, a well known spanish actor and showman, and the show is called "Buenafuente".

Just trying to help... :) Right?

U2girl said:
I mean they will get a big backlash by the media and reviewers if the next album sounds like Bomb and (smaller parts of) ATYCLB.

Personally, I really liked the last two albums and I don't mind U2 sounding like U2, but you know, the critics may not.

I'll listen to the critics once they make music as good as U2.

the tourist said:

I'll listen to the critics once they make music as good as U2.

I will listen to critics once they learn that their arse is not where they should be talking out of:wink:

Yahweh said:
Ive got a revelation for you people...U2 sounds like U2 on every album they have made from Boy to Bomb. U2 should just make the record that they want to make and not worry about what other people are saying, because really it is not relievent to the process of making a record. Whether it be critics or Interference people, everybody is going to want and expect something different, so I would just go in with a fresh approch and the ideal that they will make the best record they can make whatever the sound turns out to be it will still sound like U2, because after all it is U2.

I wish more and more and more and more and more people realise this.

I think we will have one more album in the same mold as ATYCLB/HTDAAB. Remember, U2 does things in 3's. I don't think it's intentional, it's because by the time U2 makes a third album of the same mold thats when the critics attack them. and when the critics attack them is when U2 decides to change.

UF
JT
RH - Critically bashed, U2 changes course

AB
Z
P - Critically bashed, U2 changes course

ATYCLB
HTDAAB
??? - will critics bash and lead to a new U2 course??

i dont think U2 has the motivation (ie everything is going great for them now, critics, tour) to drastically change their style

Back
Top Bottom