New Album Rumors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You got it all wrong with the new album rumours!!

The first thing u2 is going to do after the tour, is going to the studio and.... FIX POP !!

I prefer a new album though

KUEFC09U2, Roy

It is really embarassing, how (too) many people treat each other in here. In a lot of discussions there's no tolerance, no feeling for others' attitudes. On the other hand there is the phenomenon, that some people find - related to the anonymity of this medium - a certain strength to bitch around, push others against walls with words or - maybe even worse - make fun out of other people and offending them. And all of this without those persons, who should be moderating in the pure Latin sense of that word.
So: Thanx to those, who shared with me a good time here, Im gonna miss you and the possibility exchanging memories and attiituted towards U2's music. For the others: I'm really fed up with you, go on with your studid behaviour - and every additional thought will be a waste of time for me, I guess. To cite Led Zep: "I'm gonna leave you ..."

It worked ;)
Sorry, but I couldn't resist :wink:
Thank you KUEFC09U2 and Roy. :hug:

Last edited:
POP-ROMANCER said:
You got it all wrong with the new album rumours!!

The first thing u2 is going to do after the tour, is going to the studio and.... FIX POP !!

I prefer a new album though

Pop doesn't need to be fixed :huh:

I really don't think U2 will do this. They've redone almost every Pop song already, if you think about it - single versions, live versions, the new mixes on the Best Of... I suppose they could slap all those mixes onto a new version of Pop if they really felt the need, but I wish U2 would quit looking at Pop as a "mistake."

guill said:
KUEFC09U2, Roy

It is really embarassing, how (too) many people treat each other in here. In a lot of discussions there's no tolerance, no feeling for others' attitudes. On the other hand there is the phenomenon, that some people find - related to the anonymity of this medium - a certain strength to bitch around, push others against walls with words or - maybe even worse - make fun out of other people and offending them. And all of this without those persons, who should be moderating in the pure Latin sense of that word.
So: Thanx to those, who shared with me a good time here, Im gonna miss you and the possibility exchanging memories and attiituted towards U2's music. For the others: I'm really fed up with you, go on with your studid behaviour - and every additional thought will be a waste of time for me, I guess. To cite Led Zep: "I'm gonna leave you ..."
eh so its ok when we get put down for liking it?

AtomicBono said:

Pop doesn't need to be fixed :huh:

TRUE !

It contains the best lyrics they ever wrote (only AB was better lyrically imo)
some beuatiful masterpieces like 'Gone', 'Please,' 'Staring at the Sun' and 'Wake Up Dead Man'

Why do U2 consider it as a mistake? Because it just sold 6 million?? (compare this with Radiohead's OK Computer, a masterpiece and I think it sold not many more copies thanb POP, correct me if I'm wrong)
Do they see it as a succes if it's commercially a success? Maybe they were not totally satisfied because of teh hurry they had, but I can't believe them if they say they're not happy with it.

Wished they would play those songs more live! 'Gone' rocked at the Elevation Tour and 'Wake Up Dead Man' was also amazing!

phommel said:

TRUE !

some beuatiful masterpieces like 'Gone', 'Please,' 'Staring at the Sun' and 'Wake Up Dead Man'

Why do U2 consider it as a mistake? Because it just sold 6 million?? (compare this with Radiohead's OK Computer, a masterpiece and I think it sold not many more copies thanb POP, correct me if I'm wrong)
Do they see it as a succes if it's commercially a success? Maybe they were not totally satisfied because of teh hurry they had, but I can't believe them if they say they're not happy with it.

Wished they would play those songs more live! 'Gone' rocked at the Elevation Tour and 'Wake Up Dead Man' was also amazing!

You're absolutely right phommel! I was only joking:wink:
I thought OK computer sold 10M.

phommel said:

TRUE !

Very true, I started a whole thread on the greatness of Pop in EYKIW :wink: and OK Computer is :drool:

Why can't you guys shut the :censored: up about how "misunderstood" Pop is, and move on. It is painfully obvious that Pop is not a masterpiece. It is a below average U2 album (although I admit that a below average U2 album is still better than most). There is something missing in Pop, and that is soul. It's got a bit in places, but overall it lacks the transcendent quality that much of the band's music has in spades. This has nothing to do with the fact that Pop is "techno" - Zooropa has soul but it's even more electronic and experimental in nature.

And before you start flaming me with the typical "you just don't get the concept behing Pop" responses, I just want to say one more thing. The best thing about Pop is that its failure scared the band into making great music again.

starvinmarvin said:
Why can't you guys shut the :censored: up about how "misunderstood" Pop is, and move on. It is painfully obvious that Pop is not a masterpiece. It is a below average U2 album (although I admit that a below average U2 album is still better than most). There is something missing in Pop, and that is soul. It's got a bit in places, but overall it lacks the transcendent quality that much of the band's music has in spades. This has nothing to do with the fact that Pop is "techno" - Zooropa has soul but it's even more electronic and experimental in nature.

And before you start flaming me with the typical "you just don't get the concept behing Pop" responses, I just want to say one more thing. The best thing about Pop is that its failure scared the band into making great music again.

Thank you for your opinion. I disagree, Pop has plenty of soul and has some of Bono's best and most personal lyrics. But this is not a Pop thread, so you're right, let's move on.

By the way, no one here said Pop was misunderstood, or anything about the "concept" of Pop. You brought all that in here yourself, trying to start a debate when there was none.

starvinmarvin said:

Are you kidding me?

Mofo
Please
Gone
Wake up Dead Man

No Soul??

I would argue that Pop is all soul, and lacks in production...and besides Zooropa perhaps the clearest snapshot into a single moment in the bands rich history.

my 2 cents...now you can move on. Just had to chime in on that though.

@cmb737:

You told us that you have some contacts. Do you know something about a new album?

Zoovation said:
@cmb737:

You told us that you have some contacts. Do you know something about a new album?

Contacts is not perhaps the best word...

Working relationship with people that are involved in production on the scale of U2 is more accurate. Most of the information I knew of regarding the recording, and rerecording of the last album came first hand from Michael W. Smith who tracked with U2 in Dublin. That song has not been released.

I also have a casual relationship with Terry Lawless that developed as he was possibly interested in hiring me as an assistant. Unfortunately the touring company could not justify the extra cost of another soul on the tour to assist him, and it was not to happen.

I don't needle him for information as I feel it would be a breach of a professional relationship. Being a fan and an employee are very different things.

At this time, I have only heard they have studio time on hold (but that could be for a million different purposes or projects) in 2006. I certainly wouldn't be the first to know...

starvinmarvin said:

Why can't you leave us all alone and stop trying to incite flame wars where they don't need to be?

neutral said:
Terry Lawless is the guy that recently joined them on stage right? :hmm:

Yes, Neutral...he is their keyboard player. He is a touring icon of sorts in his field. He plays with them everynight, out of view.

Nigel Godrich.

I mean, can you imagine what it would be like to get him and Edge working together. :drool:

Seriously, I think he is the ONLY person besides Eno and Lanois that should be allowed to produce U2. You know that he wouldnt be like a geeky lil fanboy and dance around whatever they do or say....that man is unique, and he'd push them in directions that I cant even begin to imagine. He's proven himself so adept at both ends of music, that it is just too perfect for words.

His ability to make quieter music (Beck's Sea Change) could coax out untold beauty from a fourpiece band like U2......and his ability to make scuzzy, electro-shock, BLINDING music (Radiohead's....anything!) could really just crack them out of their current formulaic routine......(vertigo not included...awesome song)

my 2 cents.

:|

Reggie Thee Dog said:
If U2 are booking shows for Summer of 2006 (or at least rumored to be) that (kind of) points to a new album. I think that we'll get a very guitarish Zooropa like album...I hope.

The Edge said:
There are very few guitars on zooropa.

I think we'll be getting a very raw, rocking, hard biting tour album to supplement the Bomb. It'll be experimental in that it'll rock hard. there wont be any atmospheric sounds or hopefully glockenspiels or violins or chiming 80's guitars. Hopefully the edge will use a few different distorted guitars abd come up with a few new sounds.

Yeah, Edge was just taking the guitar sound as far out as he could go.

I feel with Godrich, Edge would be able to try anything and still have someone there who would keep it "in bounds" and still sounding like the band. When he produced Beck he didn't turn him into someone else, same with Pavement.

He just brings out the best in his artists. I think Eno & Lanois are just too familiar now to do anything interesting with the band. Let someone else have a shot, and not an old school guy like Chris Thomas.

The problem is that it would look like they were trying to emulate Radiohead or jump on a bandwagon, which would be unfortunate.

I'm just throwing this out there, but I think an album solely produced by Jacknife Lee would be a big mistake. Now if those Kanye West opening slot rumors turn out to be true, he could wind up producing some tracks...WOW.

Back
Top Bottom