New album discussion: After despair comes acceptance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The album release date is a discrete random variable with equal probabilities of being May/June 2014, Fall 2014, Spring 2015, Fall 2015, and Spring 2016.

We can calculate its expected value easily though (are you a fellow Information Theory student?) :lol:

Alright, to get sort of back on the subject of U2 since, like I said earlier this week, all of this stuff is crap and is akin to a tabloid...

I don't know who is right between Billboard or the Guardian, and there's probably truth to both of the stories. The thing that struck me as the most odd in Billboard was that the album was coming out in 2015 as if that were a done deal -- just doesn't make any sense for U2 to punt on Q4 in 2014 when it's only Q1.

As for the Danger Mouse comments that they've been working on it for years and he doesn't know what's up anymore... slightly concerning, and I can see a little concern too, given U2 bringing in Epworth and Tedder. Still, I wouldn't get bent out of shape over it. Didn't Adam Mercer first mention two albums, and the first one is "all Brian?" Then Bono mentioned that they're working on two albums... and yes, obviously, I'd take any and everything from Bono's mouth with a grain of salt, but it's quite possible that it's true -- that if they are planning on two releases, that the first one is all DM.

It's also quite possible and very realistic to think that they'll just take the 11 or 12 best songs from both and put them together.

Either way, I don't really care as long as the songs are good.

deliberately falsifying lurid stories about the band in regards to drug use, infidelity, money, and "darkness" is a pretty shitty thing to do. certainly anyone who read it as gospel should take an internet 101 class, but these forms are hungry for information, especially at a time like this, and we all love hearing from someone who talked to Dallas or whatever.

what bothers me is that it sought to be deliberately cruel to U2 fans. one of the things that many people find appealing about U2 is that they all seem to be generally good people, and given 35 years and a single drug bust for something as silly as marijuana, really, that's an extraordinary track record. they all seem to be in committed relationships, have lots of kids, good family lives, etc. this is part of their essential appeal -- they aren't Led Zepplin or the Stones, they were never understood to be part of the self-destructive aspects of rock and roll.

does this mean that they are choirboys? no. does this mean that there isn't a tight circle that closes ranks when things get weird? no.

but to start claiming inside information about the things that seem so opposite to what people like about Bono, while hinting at "darkness," is a bit like taking a perverse joy in telling a 5-year old that Santa Claus isn't real.

it's like, well, duh, but really, what kind of sick pleasure do you get watching someone's face fall with disappointment?

there's a mean-spiritedness about this kind of trolling that's really distasteful. and it seems to come from some sort of need to feel intellectually superior to others.

:up:

I'm so tired of hearing Invisible and OL were "disappointing",

Yeah, I also get tired when people have different opinions than my own. :rolleyes:

I thought only Zootopians got this rattled with any criticism leveled at U2. Come on, it's perfectly ok for others not to like what you like.

Alright, to get sort of back on the subject of U2 since, like I said earlier this week, all of this stuff is crap and is akin to a tabloid...

I don't know who is right between Billboard or the Guardian, and there's probably truth to both of the stories. The thing that struck me as the most odd in Billboard was that the album was coming out in 2015 as if that were a done deal -- just doesn't make any sense for U2 to punt on Q4 in 2014 when it's only Q1.

As for the Danger Mouse comments that they've been working on it for years and he doesn't know what's up anymore... slightly concerning, and I can see a little concern too, given U2 bringing in Epworth and Tedder. Still, I wouldn't get bent out of shape over it. Didn't Adam Mercer first mention two albums, and the first one is "all Brian?" Then Bono mentioned that they're working on two albums... and yes, obviously, I'd take any and everything from Bono's mouth with a grain of salt, but it's quite possible that it's true -- that if they are planning on two releases, that the first one is all DM.

It's also quite possible and very realistic to think that they'll just take the 11 or 12 best songs from both and put them together.

Either way, I don't really care as long as the songs are good.

Sounds reasonable to me. Whatever else though U2 and management really need to tighten the message sent out there. At a minimum the PR right now is messy and muddled. Publications will always be looking for an interesting story angle (troubled production, whatever) so I get that sometimes it's hard to run a tight PR ship.

If Nick66 had been the first one here to call attention to Fisher's posts, I might suspect something. But he wasn't. No offense Nick66, but I think everyone's giving you too much credit for being able to orchestrate a heist of this magnitude. The next thing you know, everyone's going to start blaming you for the Target credit card scandal.

If Nick66 had been the first one here to call attention to Fisher's posts, I might suspect something. But he wasn't. No offense Nick66, but I think everyone's giving you too much credit for being able to orchestrate a heist of this magnitude. The next thing you know, everyone's going to start blaming you for the Target credit card scandal.

I hear that Nick is responsible for the disappearance of MH370.

Both stories could be accurate. If they can capriciously decide to punt to 2015 after the OL/Invisible campaign, they can just as easily change their mind when they saw the backlash.

panic/pull plug/panic/reinsert

I like Nick66, he's a little "animated" at times, but he generally adds something to the discussion/argument. However, I have to say, if, IF, he was the infamous "Fisher" then he has crossed the line.

I completely agree with Irvine's post regarding deliberately posting innuendo regarding the band's private life, to fan the flames of our emotions towards the band. This is a forum for the New Album. I'm sure there's a place in this forum to discuss the more sordid parts of U2's lives. However, I want no part of that, whether or not I believe it, it's really none of my business, nor is it anyone's here. Unless, of course, you are personally involved in the band's private life.

I will admit I was caught up in the Fisher thread over @U2.com, but it was very clear to me when I read his shout out to Nick that it was all a hoax...disappointing to say the least. Not so much that it's not true, but that someone would deliberately sell themselves as an "authority" and dispense such negativity in a rouse to get us all riled up...as if we needed the help...:sigh:

Then the expected value is approximately one year from now. :)

So Billboard was right? Oh no! :sad: :D

On the subject of U2's music making, and this has been said before, I really wish the guys (especially Bono) would stop caring so much about what's cool or relevant or what have you. If being relevant is the key pre-requisite for U2 existing then pack it in. If MAKING MUSIC THEY LIKE is the goal then keep on going. That really should be what matters. Not sure why this is such a difficult approach. If Thom Yorke thought like Bono Radiohead would have broken up after "The Bends."

Apparently I missed this whole Interference "scandal," so all I have to say is that I believe Nick to be one of the better users on this site :up:

Apparently I missed this whole Interference "scandal," so all I have to say is that I believe Nick to be one of the better users on this site :up:

I should start a Rate the User series where I ask everyone to, on a scale of 0 to 10, rate every Interference poster who has more than a certain number of posts in the past six months or so.

Alternatively, we could do a Best User Survivor series.

I should start a Rate the User series where I ask everyone to, on a scale of 0 to 10, rate every Interference poster who has more than a certain number of posts in the past six months or so.

:lol:

2350440-4907589147-might.jpg

I primarily lurk here, but I'd put forth Corianderstem as best. Funny, level headed, and doesn't claim knowledge she doesn't have. And that is not a jab at Gabe, who I think has provided solid info that turned out to be wrong due to the band changing its mind. Meh, just my 2 cents for this month.

I primarily lurk here, but I'd put forth Corianderstem as best. Funny, level headed, and doesn't claim knowledge she doesn't have. And that is not a jab at Gabe, who I think has provided solid info that turned out to be wrong due to the band changing its mind. Meh, just my 2 cents for this month.

Well when you put it that way :angry:

Just kidding, no offense taken, a well qualified statement. And I agree about your nomination. One of my favorite people here also, if we're headed down that path now lol

psst..she hates when people use lol as punctuation :wink:

I'm taking this as a jab at Gabe, and a jab at Gabe is a jab at the very foundation of this fine institution. :angry:

:wink:

Its the end of the world

While some are still out chasing rainbows, others are waiting on their killer for a pre-emptive strike.

Some of us wake up in a fancy burned-down garden we used to call home. Some of us wake up in a black hole.

Looking for euphoria was not a good reason to go to sleep. They warned us we had better stay awake because the shadows told us this was coming.

Dark handshakes and cloudy glasses were the talk shows of our time. Death the icing on the cake of fear, the crumbs of life left for those still unable to let it all go.

She still lurks for us somewhere out there, invisible to the common senses, senseless to the chase. She is everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom