New Album Discussion 1 - Songs of..... - Unreasonable guitar album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just back from Vegas, went to Saturday's show, and I have to say it was the best U2 show I've seen since the 360 Tour. The Sphere is incredible and the band sounded great, even though Bono seemed to be a bit under the weather. The highlight for me was Acrobat, it couldn't have kicked anymore ass than it did in this show. If U2 can harness this energy and channel the potential of Atomic City they can drop one last great album...even if only diehard fans feel that way... :hyper:

Oops, sorry, I saw the last part of this thread! I won't mentioned they play most of October and Pop... :giggle:

My point is, they are truly inspired and they sounded tight as hell...no more spoilers!

It's ok, it was said as a joke because obviously they said they would be playing the album. No worries

I also just thought it might open the door for other spoilers here

It's ok, it was said as a joke because obviously they said they would be playing the album. No worries

I also just thought it might open the door for other spoilers here

Get it, and I'm not on here enough anymore, so my apologies.

I'm hoping they take inspiration of the shows, and the catchy hooks in AC and build an album around that...kinda Zooropa 2.Rock... :rockon:

I don't listen to the radio much anymore- only to and from work during my 5-minute commute- but I heard Atomic City for the first time today.

wear my joshua tree shirt

public: i sleep

wear my sphere shirt, obscured by a jacket, barely visible

public: wow musta been crazy huh ive seen videos all over tik tok it looks pretty insane i gotta say i never understood why people hate U2 so much theyve always been one of my favorite bands i saw them during the tour after they put out vertigo that was pretty wild they played all of achtung baby im more of a joshua tree kinda guy but i know a lot of people like that album they gotta kinda weird in the 90s but ive always loved them

I've been approached by like 10 strangers about this shirt.

oh yeah, but I came back to this thread to continue to heap praise on Atomic City. Not overwhelming praise, but praise nonetheless.

Last edited:
I'm going to say it... based on random people talking about it to me and the amount of times I've heard it on digital radio channels in the UK, Atomic City is their single with the widest reaching mass appeal, awareness, popularity etc since Vertigo.

The future is bright.

https://www.mojo4music.com/articles/stories/u2-new-album-interview/
U2 have given MOJO an update on their new album. Speaking during their residency at state-of-the art Las Vegas venue The Sphere, Bono and bassist Adam Clayton reported on the progress of the band’s next record, the “noisy, uncompromising, unreasonable” rock album Bono previously announced will replace the long-touted but now shelved Songs Of Ascent.

“I announced it, without discussion, as ‘an unreasonable guitar record’,” the singer tells Danny Eccleston in in the latest issue of MOJO. “And Edge called me up and goes, ‘How unreasonable?’ And I said, As unreasonable as you’re ready to take it.”

“I would love that to be the next U2 record!” Edge told MOJO earlier this year. “The lockdown was a very creative period for me, just in composing music. I don’t want to jinx ourselves… but there’s a lot of great material waiting. I think the guitar is coming back. I really feel it. And I would like to be part of that. I’d like to be the vanguard of this resurgence of guitars.”

“We are turning the amps on. I certainly think the rock that we all grew up with as 16- and 17-year-olds, that rawness of those Patti Smith, Iggy Pop records… that kind of power is something we would love to connect back into,” confirmed bassist Adam Clayton. “Songs Of Ascent is a much more meditative, spiritual record. This will be Songs For Fighting, I’d say!”

However, it seems the ongoing health issues of drummer Larry Mullen Jr, who is currently recovering from neck surgery, might have stalled the project.

“Starting work on new songs is somewhat tied to Larry’s situation,” Clayton now says. “Could he commit to an album project? I don’t know.”

Mullen’s absence has meant that for their four-month residency at the Sphere, a multi-billion-dollar spectacle featuring the biggest LED screen ever constructed, U2 have done the previously unthinkable and brought in a replacement, Dutch drummer Bram van den Berg.

The band report that Van den Berg has impressed U2 with his wit and precision, but admit that it’s been tough to look back and not see Mullen on the riser, driving them on.

“It’s beyond the beyond of ‘tough’,” says Bono. “It was the late ’70s, the last time we played without Larry. I think a motorcycle fell on his foot, and he couldn’t play, and we had a drummer called Eric [Briggs]. That wasn’t a great feeling, but Eric was very good-looking and Larry hurried back – he hopped behind the kit! But it’s not just that, you know, it’s a psychic force that Larry brings.”

Mullen played on the new U2 single, the Blondie-ish Atomic City, effectively the theme song to U2’s Sphere residency.

“We recorded it in Sound City [in LA] at Edge’s suggestion,” says Bono. “Larry was so excited to play there, and wanted to see if he could do it. And he played for far longer than he’d planned over the next few days. And I think if you look at the video, you can see his back is in pain.”

As MOJO’s full report details, U2’s current show is one of the most high-tech, and expensive concerts ever staged, and it seems, for the time being at least, that will be where the band’s focus will be.

“I don’t think the world is waiting on the next U2 album,” says Bono. “I think we have to give them a reason to be interested in it. I just want to write great tunes, because that’s where U2 started – with big choruses, clear ideas. And let’s go back there, but do it with some petrol and some matches.”

It does not sound like they have an album ready to go at all if they're needing Larry to be fit enough for a recording stint.

This sounds more like how things work with Bono. He hears some rough drafts or outlines that Edge has created and calls them songs.

My guess is they want SOA to be their last album, with the RAWK album something to tour in the next couple of years

I'm not even going to make a guess this time.

I can't tell if I'm frustrated or not. They don't owe me anything and they can do whatever the hell they want. I guess I'm just tired of them pretending that they care about getting back into the studio and making music. when it's clear that all of them (except Edge) don't really seem to know anything about the "album" they're making.

I'm actually cool with no more albums at all and just release the vaults and more live recordings. :reject:

I'm actually cool with no more albums at all and just release the vaults and more live recordings. :reject:

Ideally I'd get one more proper, U2 album (bonus points if it's not named Songs of Ascent, which is so cheesy, self-important, and there are few things I hate as much as songs that reference that they're songs) and then, yeah, open the gd vaults.

I'm not even going to make a guess this time.

I can't tell if I'm frustrated or not. They don't owe me anything and they can do whatever the hell they want. I guess I'm just tired of them pretending that they care about getting back into the studio and making music. when it's clear that all of them (except Edge) don't really seem to know anything about the "album" they're making.

well - to be fair, this time there is a legitimate concern about the future of a band member.

i think they're facing the end times as a band - they know it - and are trying to figure out how to proceed.

playing Sphere, or even touring, without Larry is one thing.

recording new music without Larry is a horse of a different color.

they likely want to continue to tour - would prefer to do it with new music - but can't figure that part out until they know what's going on with Larry.

so they're stuck.

Back
Top Bottom