New Album Discussion 1 - Songs of..... - Unreasonable guitar album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always liked them and that new song made me cry like a wimp. Not a real cry, but I felt feelings.

Gavin shares that the band sounds “more rock and roll than I’ve heard them for years.” He confirms that the stage is inspired by Brian Eno’s “colour-box turntable” and that the show logo now in use was designed by Eno and The Edge.

Just bring Eno back to produce one more time, give the band their Abbey Road. Let him co-write again too.

Said it before,larry records with the band but doesn't tour.

That has to be a possibility now surely? They have said they can’t get motivated to work on new music unless there’s the chance of touring it. But multiple surgeries, even if they’re minor, is going to mean another chunk of time on the sidelines.

Or they just do the Sphere shows and then have another break, with nothing…

We don’t know what surgeries are left and what he’s had, what the prognosis is or recovery time. Maybe we just chill and see what happens?

We don’t know what surgeries are left and what he’s had, what the prognosis is or recovery time. Maybe we just chill and see what happens?

ha ha ha ha.... Give us Larry's hair and we will make a new one like the swamp thing...

It's ok, I'm not going all FB Sphere group on it or losing sleep over it, just thinking out loud.

Or they love it so much, they come back to do POP in the spring...

All 2025 jokes aside - as of March this year they apparently had two albums in the can. They need approx 3-6 months lead time between album and tour.

If Larry had surgery earlier this year, has some more to go - assuming he has it this year, it’s POSSIBLE they could go on tour in 12 months from now. Depends on the surgeries and recovery times, but the Marc h next year window isn’t off the table. If they think touring won’t happen until 2025, they could drop SOA early next year and the other album early 2025/late 2024?

I can certainly see the pragmatism behind dropping SoA in spring 2024 - it's supposedly a more meditative album which might not work in a live setting, or for promoting a tour. And if it's actually close to finished, they might as well release it if they're unable to tour for another year anyway.

But I suspect SoA is meant to be their final album. The fact it keeps resurfacing throughout the years, and that they're writing/keeping material for it, have a clear idea of the tone/sound/theme for it, but insist on focusing on other albums first (SoI, SoE, the unreasonable guitar album) all makes it seem like, if it really exists, they're deliberately holding it back to release as their swansong.

We're in the final few months of the year, and Larry still needs surgeries. Makes me feel pretty pessimistic about an album in early '24, but you never know. Evidently he's well enough to record, so I'm sure they'll do plenty of writing and recording next year if nothing else.

I reckon what we'll likely get is Songs of Fuck Off Guitar in late 2024, and a stadium tour in 2025, with Songs of Ascent released late 2025, mid-way through the tour. They can promote SoA as their final album (or maybe the final one with their original line up) and use that to do a big push for the final legs of the tour.

Then call it a day.

Alternatively, I could imagine Songs of Ascent being a much bigger, 'classic u2' album than we may think.

Bono described the recent songs he'd written for it as being pop songs, and compared one of them to the Beatles 'Rubber Soul'. Doesn't sound like the meditative spinoff of NLOTH anymore - an album they've since distanced themselves from.

I could see SoA having more in common with the Joshua Tree than NLOTH; songs with the DNA of hymns and gospel music, but written in big stadium pop. Wouldn't shock me if it ended up having the identity of songs like Streets and ISHFWILF, rather than, say, Moment of Surrender.

Adam also mentioned that Larry is specifically having surgeries so that he's able to keep drumming for years and years ahead, so maybe SoA would get its own promo and tour down the line.

And if it really is planned as their last album, they'd probably want to do the standard 'big U2 album', with all the massive sounds, promo and stadium vibes that define them, rather than something that never gets toured and might get commended by a few critics as slightly more daring or interesting. If they can decide their own terms, U2 would surely go out with a bang, not a whimper.

We also know they've been hanging out (granted in very limited capacity) with Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois. Both featured on backing vocals on SoS (ISHFWILF), and Eno designed the Sphere tour logo with Edge, and helped inspire the stage itself. Maybe they've been working on SoA with them as well, or plan to?

(I'm aware most of this is extremely wishful thinking; there's probably a decent chance SoA never actually comes to fruition and only ever exists in interviews with Bono.)

SOA should be their next album and then they can close out their careers with “The Virus”. An album that drops onto every device in the world.

Just looked back at the Your Song Saved My Life promo:

- first mentioned, started teasing Saturday 30/10/2021
- first clip played Monday 01/11/2021
- song released Wednesday 03/11/2021

So on that timeline it should be announced today (Monday 25/09/2023), clip Wednesday 27th.

Back
Top Bottom