NBA Basketball 2008-09: The Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's tough to make FT's when your chiclets are rattling around in your mouth.

Good hard foul, no flagrant. Though to be fair (and consistent) I generally don't think 75% of the flagrants called are actually flagrant fouls.

This series is just crazy.

Oh...:wave::wave::wave: Spurs :lol:

I wonder why Miller did not go to the basket more aggressively. The guy is a bloody power forward, but he tries to finesse a finger-roll rather than dunk the ball. LeBron or Wade in that same situation would have torn the hoop down, leaving Rondo bleeding rather than vice-versa.

Huge choke by Brad Miller. I think that should have been called as a flagrant based on the flagrant calls I've seen so far in this years playoffs.

no and no. the guy got hit pretty hard, ya can't call it a choke when he's lucky he knew where he was... and no, there is no way that was flagrant on rondo... he went for the ball, missed and caught him in the mouth. there is no way in hell you call a flagrant in that situation. if there is a similar flagrant to that foul that was called, then that other flagrant was a bad call.

the problem with the NBA and flagrants of late is that the rule is supposed to be for fouls with intent to injure, not just your regular old hard foul. a hard foul where it's clear that the player went for the ball first and just happened to foul the player hard should never, ever be called a flagrant. kurt rambis laughs at your flagrant fouls.

if miller was that rattled from the hit he should have been subbed for. they/he thought he was fine, and he obviously wasn't. but to call it a choke is a little over the top.

I wonder why Miller did not go to the basket more aggressively. The guy is a bloody power forward, but he tries to finesse a finger-roll rather than dunk the ball.

Because there wasn't enough time on the clock to risk a dunk. Also, Miller is pushing 60 and is way too slow for that to be safe.

When was the last time the Spurs got bounced that early and that easily?

2000. TIMMAH was out with an injury though.

I'm relieved, because there's pretty much no one else in the West who's going to stop the Lakers. Not even Portland.

Ahem...

jjbarea_shoots.jpg

Alright, I'm reaching. I'm just deliriously excited about them finally winning a series.

there is no way that was flagrant on rondo... he went for the ball,

I just was looking at the replay of the foul and I don't agree. Earlier, I would have agreed, but his intent was not to get the ball.

I won't say it was a flagrant foul. I don't think that it compares to how the Pistons' Bad Boys used to foul. (And they got away with it!) But I don't believe he was going for the ball.

So...Dwight Howard suspended 1 game. That elbow would have looked a lot worse if Dalembert was a flopping pansy.

I just was looking at the replay of the foul and I don't agree. Earlier, I would have agreed, but his intent was not to get the ball.

I won't say it was a flagrant foul. I don't think that it compares to how the Pistons' Bad Boys used to foul. (And they got away with it!) But I don't believe he was going for the ball.

i've seen the replay a bunch of times and i think it was a desperation reach because miller was so incredibly wide open and he just caught him in the face because he was just too far in front.

i do believe his intent was to go for the ball... he didn't try and pull his head down after he made contact or anything, which would be a clear sign that he was trying to injure... i just think he went for the ball and missed... badly.

Looks to me like he was trying to grab Miller's upper arm/shoulder to prevent the layup, by no means the definition of a flagrant foul. Similar to the foul he took earlier when he wrapped up one of the Bulls on a breakaway to keep him from elevating his arms to get a layup. Its a good foul to prevent the easy bucket and force the guy to earn the 2 ponts. In the first instance, the Bull (I forget which one) made the FT's. In the Miller case, he didn't. Rondo's intent was to foul, not to strike the face.

Howard's foul was flagrant, an intentionally delivered shot after a play was over, not any kind of defensive play, how people are lumping the 2 together is confounding.

If Dalembert were Ginobili, ole Sammy would have somehow ended up in the third row.

It's too easy to say The Closer is the worst one considering we've had to put up with its promos for years. Leverage, Dark Blue, and Raising the Bar are just killing me right now. The "interviews" are so clearly (and poorly) scripted. Next time, listen for the forced pauses in their sentences that try to make it seem like these are genuine reactions which require thought. Examples:

"I think what makes Brenda so special is.... she's such a strong woman and at the same time very fragile."

"Steven Bochco's name is just... so synonymous with great drama."

And more. Listen for it next time. It'll drive you nuts.

/soapbox

Evan though the C's have slipped behind early, Ray looks like he's stepping up big time for this one. Bought time he made some shots in the first Q

There were several money plays on both sides, I just lost count. This one could have gone either way, but of course it's been destined to go to 7 games from the beginning.

Great series.

Incredible game. The Bulls should have won it in regulation, we blew a 10 point lead again, but Brad Miller was clutch with a three and a layup to start the run that pushed it to overtime, and we were inch for inch again until the end. Every time the Bulls looked like they were finally going to win it, they let Boston back in. Ray Allen was unconscious all night long, and he hit game-tying jump shots multiple times in regulation and the OTs. Noah's steal and coast-to-coast dunk + drawing Pierce's sixth foul, and Rose's block at the end had me jumping around the room. Hinrich's blown layup near the end and Rose's blown free throws had me with my head in my hands. Salmons came to play, he had his best game of the series by far and he hit a bunch big shots for us. Brad Miller got redemption for last game by hitting a bunch of clutch free throws. Rondo throwing Hinrich into the scoring table should've been a flagrant two though...Bulls fans think Rondo should be suspended for game 7. Amazing game.

Also, how ironic is it that the year Houston finally gets out of the first round is the year T-Mac isn't even playing?

I really like this Bulls team. I like Hinrich cause I'm a KU fan, and they've got a fun, young group of guys.

And also, could there possibly be a bigger d-bag than Rajon Rondo?

And also, could there possibly be a bigger d-bag than Rajon Rondo?

No. He should be suspended for game 7. That's shitty, I know, and I wish that it weren't the case (because he's played like a madman, this series, in spite of his occasional dirtiness), but it is what it is. A punch gets overlooked in game 5, and then he pulls a MASSIVE douchebag move by blowing the good will that the league tried to show him by coming out, attacking Kirk Hinrich, and then trying to elbow him.

Dwight is on the pine, but Rondo still plays? I understand that one elbow landed and the other didn't, but isn't 2+2+2 greater than 5? I mean, come on...!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom