NBA Basketball 2008-09: The Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuck. Great game, unbelievable performance from BG, heartbreaking ending.

Let's bring this shit to Chicago.

This one is stinging me a little bit. I think of all the sports, basketball can be the most cruel. There are just so many more "coulda, shoulda, wouldas" than in the other sports. One too many big offensive rebounds for the Celtics, too many letdowns on the defensive end after hitting huge shots the play before, etc. etc.

Although, watching this series, I think it's fairly obvious that Boston is a team fighting with its back against the ropes. The veteran fighter pulled this one out tonight but, like I said, we're goin to Chicago. Boxing metaphors! But, seriously, is it Thursday night yet? Fuck.

I didn't think the Mavs would win this game from the get go, but come the fuck on.

This one is stinging me a little bit. I think of all the sports, basketball can be the most cruel. There are just so many more "coulda, shoulda, wouldas" than in the other sports. One too many big offensive rebounds for the Celtics, too many letdowns on the defensive end after hitting huge shots the play before, etc. etc.

Although, watching this series, I think it's fairly obvious that Boston is a team fighting with its back against the ropes. The veteran fighter pulled this one out tonight but, like I said, we're goin to Chicago. Boxing metaphors! But, seriously, is it Thursday night yet? Fuck.

I could say virtually the same as para 1 for game one. Ray misses the tying shot, and that happens once in a blue moon.

As for the second part, The C's have played some woeful basketball. I think there was a stretch in game 1 where they missed 12 shots in a row. It can only get better. They are still one of the better sides without the Big Ticket, as for the Bull's, take rose or Gordon out and we wouldn't see a game 6 in this series.

I could say virtually the same as para 1 for game one. Ray misses the tying shot, and that happens once in a blue moon.

Moreso Pierce missing the winning free throw at the end of regulation.

Rondo's injury looked to be nasty when it happened, leg folded up under him, ankle was bent a long way in the wrong direction. He looked pretty good in the second half, we'll see how it is a day or 2 after the fact.

If nothing else, the series has provided 2 very entertaining games to date.

The shot Gordon hit with 2 guys on him was just ridonkulous.

What's the word on Leon Powe? The Celts big man situation has reached the point where I'm eagerly awaiting the return of Brian Scalabrine. Brian Scalabrine. Think about that for a second.

Mikki Moore was pretty good in the playoffs a few years back.

I don't care what people think of Joakim Noah. The guy doesn't quit. Next game however, if he wants to stay in my good book, I'd like him to rebound a little better. No more 21 offensive rebound games...

Edit: Powe has a torn ACL. Honestly, that is too bad. I like the way he plays. Sorry Celtic fans...
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4086325

Yeah, Edgar Allen Powe is out. But he really didn't contribute anything last night and the Celtics still won, so I'm not sure how much of an impact that will have. We'll see.

And, you're right...Noah plays with as much energy as anybody in the league. You can fault him for some things, but not for that. The guy is intense.

You could make a decent starting 5 from the C's injury list.

Scalabrine
Powe
Rondo
Garnett
Pollard

Granted Rondo is a day-to-day ankle problem.

Isn't Scal due back soon? He's gonne need to be atm. Big men are dropping like flies.

Doc needs to wrap Big Baby in cotton wool.

Rondo totally dominated yesterday though. 2nd career triple-double and pretty good timing with it. Anyone else backing him in for 5 blocks in the 4th to make it a 5-by-5? :wink:

Rondo still can't hit jump shots. His numbers are a product of the fact that he plays with pierce, allen and KG. There are so many point gaurds I would take over him in the NBA. That being said he had a great game the other day.

Rondo still can't hit jump shots. His numbers are a product of the fact that he plays with pierce, allen and KG. There are so many point gaurds I would take over him in the NBA. That being said he had a great game the other day.

Who needs to hit jump shots with Ray, KG and Pierce? He is also just about the best around at making room and getting to the basket. He is a special for 4 or 5 a game where he pops in and out of opposition D's and gets the miracle lay-up to drop.

Rondo still can't hit jump shots. His numbers are a product of the fact that he plays with pierce, allen and KG. There are so many point gaurds I would take over him in the NBA. .

Its easier to admit you were wrong about him than to keep digging a deeper hole.

PG's who I'd definitely take over Rondo currently:

Chris Paul
Deron Williams

PG's who I'd take over him only if they were 10 yrs younger:
Steve Nash
Chauncy Billups

PG's I'd rate as on a similar level to him:
Derrick Rose (will probably exceed him with more experience)
Mo Williams
Tony Parker

Thats about it.

You could maybe argue Calderon, but I'd take Rondo for sure. Baron Davis, kind of a hybrid 1/2 and too injury prone. Devin Harris is too selfish and plays no defense.

Enlighten me to anyone else in the equation.

Rondo is a great player. There, now the issue has been settled once and for all. :wink:

But, seriously, he is. He's a pesky little son of a bitch and, as a Bulls fan, is the player on the Celtics that I hate the most...that I worry about the most. This means he's doing his job. Also, he played great in the Finals last year. The Celtics wouldn't have that ring without him. So that's another thing.

????

Pollard is not on the Celts roster.
Signed a 1 yr deal, played sparingly in 2007-2008, and is currently working for NBA TV.

my bad. He's still listed on their inactive roster on nba.com

Don't get NBA TV so haven't seen him there. I hadn't seen a game since 99 until this season. When I was little I watched every game on, and then Australian TV for whatever reason just stopped showing any games at all. ESPN Australia have 3-4 games a week atm.

What's this about last night's Rockets/Blazers game and tomorrow's Mavs/Spurs game being on NBATV? I don't get that channel even though I get about 300 vapid variations of E, Bravo, or VH1? I don't even know which of my stock of go-to bars have NBATV.

Its easier to admit you were wrong about him than to keep digging a deeper hole.

Chris Paul
Deron Williams

Steve Nash
Chauncy Billups

Mo Williams
Tony Parker

Thats about it.

You could maybe argue Calderon, but I'd take Rondo for sure. Baron Davis, kind of a hybrid 1/2 and too injury prone. Devin Harris is too selfish and plays no defense.

Good post.

I still think I would take Parker over Rondo. He has a better shot and is much better at getting to the rim than rondo. Parker has also shown he is be able to score in games where duncan and ginobli have been injured. Rondo has developed alot more than I thought he would when I said that at the begining of the season, but I would choose every guy on that list before rondo when choosing a point gaurd for today.

If I were "drafting" from current NBA rosters, Rondo would be 4th on my board for point guards behind Chris Paul, Deron Williams and Derrick Rose (based on his probable upside).

You say he can't hit jump shots, he shot 50.5% FG this season, your beloved Tony Longoria shot 50.6%, not much difference. Rondo averaged more assists and is a far superior defender than Mr. Eva.

Those percentages are deceiving because both of those guys mostly shoot layups. A shot chart would be interesting to see.

Watching the Nuggets/Hornets right now, I notice one thing: PJ Carlesimo has a slight touch of Marty Funkhouser in his voice.

Chris Paul
Deron Williams

Steve Nash
Chauncy Billups

Mo Williams
Tony Parker

Thats about it.

I totally agree, but I'd throw Jameer Nelson in their somewhere, although he's more of a combo guard than a straight point. Andre Miller's decent enough, too.

Speaking of the Magic, Thank Christ.

Chris Paul
Deron Williams

Steve Nash
Chauncy Billups

Mo Williams
Tony Parker

Thats about it.

Surely you would take Jason Kidd, the premiere point guard of his generation(what Magic Johnson was to his, what John Stockton was to his), if he was ten years younger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom