Melbourne 1 - Setlist Party!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the other night he made a big fucking deal about taking off his laser jacket, putting it on a coat hanger and attaching it to the steering wheel mic to vanish behind the screen....only to put on another jacket. wtf.

i don't know if he's been doing it all of 2010 on second nights, but wtf.

:lol: Have you seen the Rose Bowl DVD? He's been doing it since 2009.

The thing you have to realize is that your own favorite band is guilty of covering other band's songs in pretty horrific manner. Covers are going to happen, sometimes for good, sometimes for bad. To me, it just makes the good covers all the more awesome when they come around. Like Bell X1's cover of "Heartland". I love that song.

oh I fully admit to having completely nonsensical bias when it comes to U2 and their songs . . . i have heard covers where my insides start to shrivel . . . and I am completely aware of the fact that others feel their covers of other artists are total hatchet jobs . . . and I'm gonna go to U2 and listen to Jay-z and just see how it goes . . . kinda interested in hearing that Heartland cover, for curiosities sake at least :)

The thing you have to realize is that your own favorite band is guilty of covering other band's songs in pretty horrific manner. Covers are going to happen, sometimes for good, sometimes for bad. To me, it just makes the good covers all the more awesome when they come around. Like Bell X1's cover of "Heartland". I love that song.

I am super-uber protective of Streets because it's one of the greatest songs ever done by U2, but I will admit, Muse doing it at Glasto w/Edge nearly brought me to tears. That's one cover that was done right.

(Now, Adam forbid anyone ever touch MW. That's a different story entirely. :shifty::shifty:)

oh I fully admit to having completely nonsensical bias when it comes to U2 and their songs . . . i have heard covers where my insides start to shrivel . . . and I am completely aware of the fact that others feel their covers of other artists are total hatchet jobs . . . and I'm gonna go to U2 and listen to Jay-z and just see how it goes . . . kinda interested in hearing that Heartland cover, for curiosities sake at least :)

Sorry about the way that post came off. I re-read it and felt really condescending. I'm tired, what can I say?

here's the cover: YouTube - Bell X1 : Heartland (U2)

shit, i must not have been paying attention during the 2009 shows i saw!

that's a bit typical of me :reject:

I figured he does it at every show, of course I haven't seen every show. :hmm: But it does seem to be a symbolic goodbye to the suit of lights before going into MOS.

I'm grateful he's not opening here in NA. I'd hate to have to explain to my FIVE YEAR OLD why we're not watching the opening act.

The opening act you get is a lottery. The risk of getting a crap one is always pretty high - U2 do generally run the range from amazing to rubbish on every tour. Its no big deal if you don't like the one you get. Not sure what is hard about explaining it to a five year old?

The show is over. :sigh:

The full setlist was:

1. Return Of The Stingray Guitar
2. Beautiful Day / Here Comes The Sun (snippet)
3. I Will Follow
4. Get On Your Boots
5. Magnificent
6. Mysterious Ways / My Sweet Lord (snippet)
7. Elevation
8. Until The End Of The World / Anthem (snippet)
9. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
10. Mercy
11. Bad
12. In A Little While
13. Miss Sarajevo
14. City Of Blinding Lights
15. Vertigo / Highway To Hell (snippet) / Devil Inside (snippet)
16. Funky Town (snippet) / Crazy Tonight
17. Sunday Bloody Sunday
18. Scarlet
19. Walk On / You'll Never Walk Alone (snippet)

Encore(s):
20. One
21. Amazing Grace (snippet) / Where The Streets Have No Name
22. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
23. With Or Without You
24. Moment of Surrender

everyone have a nice rest of your day/evening, i think its time for me to go back to bed,lol:wave:

1. Return Of The Stingray Guitar
2. Beautiful Day / Here Comes The Sun (snippet)
3. I Will Follow
4. Get On Your Boots
5. Magnificent
6. Mysterious Ways / My Sweet Lord (snippet)
7. Elevation
8. Until The End Of The World / Anthem (snippet)
9. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
10. Mercy
11. Bad
12. In A Little While
13. Miss Sarajevo
14. City Of Blinding Lights
15. Vertigo / Highway To Hell (snippet) / Devil Inside (snippet)
16. Funky Town (snippet) / Crazy Tonight
17. Sunday Bloody Sunday
18. Scarlet
19. Walk On / You'll Never Walk Alone (snippet)

Encore(s):
20. One
21. Amazing Grace (snippet) / Where The Streets Have No Name
22. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
23. With Or Without You
24. Moment of Surrender

looks like another great show!

It's great to see Mercy and Bad make their Leg 4 debuts, and Bad really was a shocker, but I think my favorite part of the above set is the Devil Inside snip! (Regardless of how brief it was.)

I figured he does it at every show, of course I haven't seen every show. :hmm: But it does seem to be a symbolic goodbye to the suit of lights before going into MOS.

Also every performance and photo I've seen from MOS has him wearing the nicer, fancier jacket for MOS. (when he's not just in a t-shirt once in a while)

I am super-uber protective of Streets because it's one of the greatest songs ever done by U2, but I will admit, Muse doing it at Glasto w/Edge nearly brought me to tears. That's one cover that was done right.

(Now, Adam forbid anyone ever touch MW. That's a different story entirely. :shifty::shifty:)

ooh this is me to a tee . . . :)

Sorry about the way that post came off. I re-read it and felt really condescending. I'm tired, what can I say?

here's the cover: YouTube - Bell X1 : Heartland (U2)

it's all good :) . . . and that cover is pretty and it didn't make things shrivel up and die like the cover that shall not be named does (blige) . . . the fellow singing, his voice reminds me a lot of Luka Bloom. thanks for posting :D

u2gigs
22. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me 23. With Or Without You #u2360melbourne

u2gigs
That's it for the first Melbourne show. Here is our setlist recap: U2's Melbourne #1 setlist, 01/12 - U2gigs.com Ax will update the article as soon as he is back home.

And now it's off to get the boy up and ready for school for me. :wave: See ya! Thanks to all who did the setlist! :grouphug:

The opening act you get is a lottery. The risk of getting a crap one is always pretty high - U2 do generally run the range from amazing to rubbish on every tour. Its no big deal if you don't like the one you get. Not sure what is hard about explaining it to a five year old?

I think she meant explaining to him why he wasn't going to see it.

Edit: saw your post.

:yawn: . . . I'm off . . . thanks lovelies . . . looking forward to reading through any reviews that come through over the next few days . . . this crowd got a great show . .. well on paper it ticks all of ze boxes at least :giggle:

have a good one groovers and fingers crossed I'll be updating you from the next one :shifty: but :shh: . . .I don't wanna go jinxing myself now . . . toodles :wave:

it's all good :) . . . and that cover is pretty and it didn't make things shrivel up and die like the cover that shall not be named does (blige) . . . the fellow singing, his voice reminds me a lot of Luka Bloom. thanks for posting :D

Now I'm listening to Elbow's Cover of RTSS. Really there are a lot of great ones out there, just sometimes you have to hunt them down...like the Elvis cover of "Vertigo" that I suddenly can't find on youtube :(

Awesome show. We were LOUD and the boys liked that. The GA crowd near me (few rows back from the inner fence) went off.

Loved the setlist. I've not been following it closely so full of surprises. Wish they had played UV. 5 more nights for them to do this for me.

Totally spent. Woke up this morning at 5:45am to fly into Melbourne. Stood in the GA line from about 10:30am. Well worth it.

Bring on Friday...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom