Magnificent Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Magnificent is and has been for a few days the highest downloaded song of all U2 tracks in Australian itunes. Not single material???

OMG! The more I listen to this song the more I love it. Live is even better!!! It's definately going to be one of their classics in future years. :heart:

I can't stop listening to the live Boston version from 2 nights ago. It is so brilliant. :drool: This'll be a gem on the tour. I can't wait to see them.

I don't have time to go back through all the pages right now so maybe this has already been said. The more I listen to this song the more I believe that it may turn out to be one of their best dance tunes. I can't dance at all, but the underlying beat sounds like something I could dance too if I didn't have two left feet.

Just heard the edited versjon (single version). It's 4:20 instead of 5:24 minutes long. Most of the intro is cut off and the guitar after the bridge kicks in a little bit earlier. It still sounds Magnificent.

Its an amazing song and I too cant get it off of loop. :heart::heart:I hope this is this show opener. It reminds me of A sort of homecoming....which I'd love to hear live too. :D

Love this song immensely, best song on the new album, but I've found a negative. The ending is bollocks, it's so forced, like they had to find a way to end it.....rubbish ending...

This is one of the best songs U2 has ever recorded...it's Epic and Anthemic...everything I love in a U2 song. Bono's vocal are great and the lyric can be interpreted in a few different ways. The music is what makes the song, Edge's guitar is on fire and Adam and Larry kick this song into a different atmosphere.

This song would fit on any album since The Unforgettable Fire...:up:

Love this song immensely, best song on the new album, but I've found a negative. The ending is bollocks, it's so forced, like they had to find a way to end it.....rubbish ending...

Maybe they didnt want to end it.

This is one of the best songs U2 has ever recorded...it's Epic and Anthemic...everything I love in a U2 song. Bono's vocal are great and the lyric can be interpreted in a few different ways. The music is what makes the song, Edge's guitar is on fire and Adam and Larry kick this song into a different atmosphere.

This song would fit on any album since The Unforgettable Fire...:up:

:up: Agree completely

it's funny, because i thought this song would start to get old because it was more immediate than the rest of the album, but it's having the opposite affect on me. i'm liking it more and more with each listen.

Okay, picture this:

Giants Stadium filling up (I’m form the NY area, so insert your Stadium instead). Its about 8:00pm and the house lights go off and the crowd goes nuts, but no U2,no entry music, its just dark (very dark). Then after about three or four minutes you hear the opening cord to Magnificent, you know the one, that brief "roar" and the opening to Magnificent starts but it is extend by about 30-45 seconds and then Larry starts in with the drums and then BOOM...the house lights go up and Bono screams MAGNIFICENT. Now that would be fucking sick. :drool:

What I’m trying to say is that if you like the song now, you might just LOVE it when you hear it live (or it could be like Miracle Drug and be a let down live, but I’m not going there).

it's funny, because i thought this song would start to get old because it was more immediate than the rest of the album, but it's having the opposite affect on me. i'm liking it more and more with each listen.

While I never thought it would get old, I agree it gets better every time I hear it. I found myself listening to it in the car when I parked this morning at work and wouldn't get out untill it finished. I have it inside, but just couldn't turn it off.
I'm weird like that. :D

I like the song and it seems to be the most adored by people who "kinda" like U2. I think it was a missed opportunity though for many reasons it could have been much much better.

you sure Howie? Are you a DJ or...

I have the promo CD for "Magnificent" and can confirm the time and various edits.

I actually felt some editing was needed for radio, so I'm not surprised. And the edit is fine.

I just hope that radio plays it now. If this very classic U2 sounding song doesn't get played, then I'm not sure what will (I guess U2 will only get played if Coldplay remakes U2's music).

Back
Top Bottom