Magnificent Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, great song. On first listen it sounded like anthemic U2 style, but the more I listen to it the more I hear how the typical u2 elements (modulation delay guitar and Bono's high notes) are integrated into a great rythm track and an almost clubby feel (according to Bono last night on French radio, the working title for the song was "French disco", with the general feel inspired by their going-out experiences around Eze).

Also, of course the chorus is great, but the verse is brilliant in a Love comes tumbling kind of way. Bono's siniging in that part is outstanding.

Absolutely spot on- that's why I tend to see it in the same bracket as Ultraviolet. There is definitely a shimmering disco feel to it.

Am also a lurker. had to write as I was also unexpectedly moved by this song. the lyrics are so personal-- he opens himself to ridicule by singing "I was born to sing for you." I agree with Gilead12; he is singing and offering up his voice to the Magnificent (God). He quotes a bit of scripture in singing that he made a "joyful noise" (make a joyful noise unto the Lord). This has the joy and exuberance and atmospherics of Octobers "Rejoice." And yes that otherworldly high falsetto that is echoed by Edges' own guitar falsetto is amazing and um... otherworldly. Yes, boosterjuice, the lyrics are very spiritual and nakedly open and honest, barely covered only by a very thin veil of a love song sung to a woman. :bow:

I think it is fast becoming my favourite song on the album!

I absolutely love the beginning and the way it builds up to classic Edge guitar work! Using this song with the beginning extended a little longer just for the anticipation would be an awesome way for the boys to enter the stage and open the concerts!

I can just imagine it now! And perhaps, "The Magnificent Tour". We`ll know in a few days anyway!

Anyone agree?

After watching the rooftop performance on YouTube I can imagine how amazing the song will be in concerts, maybe Magnificent > Streets? :hmm:

I hope this song never becomes a single. They will chop the intro and outro, it will become a shadow of the album version.

I hope this song never becomes a single. They will chop the intro and outro, it will become a shadow of the album version.

I know what you mean but I think they have to release it as a single ASAP.
It's the best song they've done since Zooropa, I absolutely F##king love it!!

I know what you mean but I think they have to release it as a single ASAP.
It's the best song they've done since Zooropa, I absolutely F##king love it!!

They should release it in its current form, if not, release Breathe..

I love the intro and the heavy bass 'blasts' or whatever you call it. It sounded so ominous and exciting echoing over the streets at the BBC gig. Best intro for a U2 song in a long time for me.

I love the whole song, but I think the buildup in the intro is my favorite part. The effect on the drums is awesome, very spacey.

I was blown away by the opening title track and then Magnificent came on and I thought it just keeps getting better.

I've had such a great day. New U2 album AT LAST! The sun's out finally. Walking out and about with what is fast becoming a new favourite song on my iPod is what has made my day i'm pretty sure :lol: fantastic melody, brilliant guitars, like everyone's saying a sort of 'club' feel to it. But yeah, it just sounds so different to what I was expecting from this band. This is the U2 I've wanted to hear for so long! :drool:

I really love this song!!! But I can't see it doing well at radio these days, it's not as catchy as other U2 'anthems' like Pride or NYD. Maybe that's why I like it even more as I expected the chorus to be more in your face but it's amazingly understated with Bono's vocals. Will be amazing live.

This is such an amazing song!!! I'm starting to hate some of the reviews where some critics are saying Bono is so egotistical "I was born to sing for you", my interpretation is that it's a conversation between him and God or between him and a lover. It's showing how we were made in God's own image, make a joyful noise to the lord, magnify him until we die, it's flat out gospel just like a lot of U2's songs are. I love them bc it's not so overt, all of their music is sprinkled with spirituality in it's message, but they're not classified as a christian rock band bc they don't want to be hemmed in to certain expectations, but in reality, they're the biggest christian rock band this world has ever seen!!!!! MOS, fallen too my knees, help me o lord out of my own apathy and everyone else's around me!!!!

This thread needs to be the first of the appreciation ones maxed out with posts :love:

I just know they're going to perform this on one of the Letterman shows and I can't wait! I hope Bono sings it well, because the vocals seemed to be much too quiet on the rooftop version, he really can make the tune soar if he belts out a good vocal. Plus it's the most epic U2'y track on the album and could really appeal to not as "hardcore" U2 fans that might be on the fence.

MAGNIIIIIFICEEEEENT! :hyper:

it is one of three that will make/sell this album - along with breathe and MOS - the i_tunes rock charts in 22 countries are already making this clear. my only hesitation is Crazy and how that is growing (to me and others) and if that might be the track to really engage the US radio audience that isn't laready into u2 ? Mike:wave:

The intro is pretty amazing. The song is just great. As for some people saying it sounds "too u2".... well, Im on a U2 forum, so I think you all know what I think about anything being too U2 (more the better I say):drool:

I started playing the album almost a half hour ago, and after the title track I was thinking, "Okay... so far, so good." Then Magnificent came on and I'm thinking "Holy crap!" I have a feeling this is going to be a favorite of mine down the road.

Can't wait for the live version.

The whole CD sounds much better then any MP3s weve heard so far but Magnificent really kicks in a lot more i noticed....this is an amazing record overall...definatly built for the headphone age :)

This is such an amazing song!!! I'm starting to hate some of the reviews where some critics are saying Bono is so egotistical "I was born to sing for you", my interpretation is that it's a conversation between him and God or between him and a lover.

I immediately thought of I Will Follow when I heard this for the first time. His delivery is the sincerest thing I've heard from him in years....From the womb my first cry, it was a joyful noise... Man, his intonation there is pretty special.

Back
Top Bottom