Magnificent Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds like they autotuned the vocal. It does use the "you're white soul" line which was cut from the final version though, so I'm not 100% sure.

Is this the appropriate place to post this?
YouTube - U2 - Magnificent (RAC Mix) | HQ

Interesting new vocal melody (editing?) here if I might say so - kind of what the Fish Out of Water remix did to I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight.
Overall, it gives me a sort of 80s-feel but it might just be me.

Found a link to a 320 kbps MP3 here: http://popplers5.bandcamp.com/download/track?enc=mp3-320&id=658235132

wow, I really enjoyed that actually..

I'll admit it...when I was listening to this beach clip I was going insane...and I thought Magnificent would be one of the greatest U2 songs ever....seriously...and I didn't want to admit it on first listen when NLOTH finally leaked, but something about it left me unsatisfied...and to this day it just never really gets to me as I originally thought it would....I'm hoping I'll come around to it one day because I really want to love this song, but I just can't seem to get into it like I had hoped....I'm not even sure this is a case of me filling things in that I couldn't hear in the beach clip and expecting more than I got.

Also, I'm sure most of you will disagree with me, but I really didn't like the way the chorus of this song sounded live...at times it worked, but a lot of times I found Bono struggling to sing it properly. Then he started changing the phrasing of it and it just got sort of lame. :shrug:

I don't dislike the song really...It just doesn't do much for me right now. But I'm loving this remix. :)

:hmm: . . . *ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun* . . . really didn't like that one at all and didn't even make it all the way to the end :shrug:

< confession . . . absolutely adore the original version and that little edgey bit at around the 45 second mark hits me right where I live every single time :heart:

The remixer used a program called Melodyne to tune Bono's lyrics.

Nice try, but destroyed the best parts of the song. Horrible.

I have loved this song since I first heard it!!! It is a great song to listen to when you need your spirits lifted (and when you are getting ready to go to a U2 concert)!!! However, I have not heard it on the radio recently where I live...

Still think this is their best song since Beautiful Day. A shame it didn't get more radio play in most places, but I'm glad that a lot of people still got to hear it in the end anyway.

Yeah, as far as anthemic U2 tracks go, this one is in the upper echelon. I think it easily earns its spot up there with Pride, BD, and Streets.

Loved it when it came out, only gotten better over time for me!

Gives me the same feeling as Gloria, NYD, Pride, A Sort of Homecoming and Streets.

anthemic U2 need look no further than Magnificent. I'd take it over anything on ATYCLB or Bomb any day, and that includes BD!

Larry and Adam turn in their best work of the album here, and that is saying alot for NLOTH!

Really do not know why this did not make it on the radio, I heard it a few times on satellite back in the Spring and only once on regular radio. 100.7 WZLX in Boston played the live version from Somerville.

If I heard this song on the radio, I would drive off the road, that's how surprised I would be.

The fact that it was not a hit was what converted me to a true believer in the only conspiracy theory I have ever bought into-that radio blacklisted U2 due to Bono's royalties comments.

Yeah, as far as anthemic U2 tracks go, this one is in the upper echelon. I think it easily earns its spot up there with Pride, BD, and Streets.

:up:
Strongly agree with you! The crowd went wild when they played this song on tour! Hope they will play this again on their upcoming tour!

well. the upcoming tour is still the same tour, and given that they seem fond of Magnificent -playing it at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame benefit and MTV EMAs- I'd say that Magnificent is pretty safe.

yeah, you know, i still rank this song as my 5th favorite on the album behind MOS, Fez, NLOTH and UC, but that just shows how great the album is, because Magnificent still ranks as one of my favorite U2 tracks of all time. i can't say that about a lot of U2 albums....that my 5th favorite song on the album is an all time favorite.

Back
Top Bottom