Magnificent Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In my opinion...

1) This song gets far too much love around here - it really isn't half as good as this whole forum seems to think it is.

2) The best bit was cut from the radio/video edit - the solo and the little part that that leads up to it. If they were gonna cut something, how about that absolutely appalling second verse?

OK....

now I'm ready for the onslaught... :reject:

I agree with this.

To be honest, the song's biggest strength is the guitar line, the lyrics are trite, the melody line is extremely weak. It was the song with the most immediate impact on the album but I can't help but think that's mainly because parts of it were so evocative of earlier U2.

There are naysayers of every U2 song. If you want to get any general info on a song's popularity among hardcore fans, you have to consult polls. So far, Magnificent is standing up better than any new U2 song has probably ever done post-taking over the world in the late 80s. Magnificent will be considered a U2 classic, whether you guys personally like it or not.

There are naysayers of every U2 song. If you want to get any general info on a song's popularity among hardcore fans, you have to consult polls. So far, Magnificent is standing up better than any new U2 song has probably ever done post-taking over the world in the late 80s. Magnificent will be considered a U2 classic, whether you guys personally like it or not.

I would agree with you. However, Beautiful day has been the most successful of the 2000's. I also think its better than Magnificent but that is not to say Magnificent is not a classic because it is and once we hear it in the stadium.....it could be magic!

I would agree with you. However, Beautiful day has been the most successful of the 2000's. I also think its better than Magnificent but that is not to say Magnificent is not a classic because it is and once we hear it in the stadium.....it could be magic!

Yeah, I think Beautiful Day and Magnificent are the best songs from the decade, and I also believe they'll be the longest lasting ones (i.e. eventual "classic rock" staples), even if Magnificent isn't getting the attention it deserves now.

For the record; I really don't care if this song reaches #1 in any poll.
I love it and that's all that matters.

:up:

gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous song

will admit to being gutted that they cut the incredible and goosebumple inducing intro (never have I been more in love with edge than at that 43second mark - gah :drool: )
. . . so will continue to listen to the album on which it is found and happily drown in its gloriousness

c ya

Yeah, I think Beautiful Day and Magnificent are the best songs from the decade, and I also believe they'll be the longest lasting ones (i.e. eventual "classic rock" staples), even if Magnificent isn't getting the attention it deserves now.

agreed. the great thing about Magnificent is that i thought i would get sick of it quickly....you know the hit you hard at first but slowly fizzle....but it didn't happen. adding that intro was one of the bands best moves in their career, imo.

agreed. the great thing about Magnificent is that i thought i would get sick of it quickly....you know the hit you hard at first but slowly fizzle....but it didn't happen. adding that intro was one of the bands best moves in their career, imo.

Absolutely agree on all counts. This one is a keeper. I've probably listened to it 300 times or so, no joke. Still love it as much as ever.

Im glad it didnt reach #1 now. The radio edit is a disgrace and im ashamed of it.

Im glad it didnt reach #1 now. The radio edit is a disgrace and im ashamed of it.

The radio edit is okay but cutting out the whole intro just kills me. That is an incredible part of the song. I guess if radio stations feel like you or me, they will play the album cut. Either way, I hope it hits number 1 because if I like something, it should be # 1 (hence why the Steelers won the Super bowl...now if LOST can just become the #1 show on TV!!!!)

i love the opera bit bono added from the first milan show.

i still say this is one of the best songs in a long time. i never get tired of it.

I actually heard it on the radio, and not one of those ultra-commercial, Top 40 ones ... I was merely changing radio channels and then I heard it!

This song blew me away when it was released and after hundreds of listens, it still feels completely fresh. Incredible. One of their best ever.

I didn't love this song as much back in March. It takes time to appreciate it, I think. :heart: It's my "go to jam" song now!

Back
Top Bottom