LP13 Discussion - Rock Bottom: Still No F#@&*ng News!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, come on. You don't have to follow U2's business stuff in any kind of way to know that Paul has resigned from his management duties and Guy Oseary is handling U2 now. It was all over the media for weeks and all over fan sites and forums, heavily discussed.

Not sure this was necessary. It's possible to be out of the loop about U2, you know.

POP is underrated, a very good album with some amazing moments. There's a lot of darkness there, desperation, existentialistic themes. It could have been great if it was finished and if they hadn't had to rush it because of the stupid tour booking.

LOL. What do you suppose would have been different had U2 a few more weeks on it? Or months? Or years? What do you dislike about the record that you think more time would have "fixed"? And how would any of that changed the DNA of the record so much that it would have been more successful?

Pop wasn't embraced the way the records preceding it were because people didn't like the sound and direction the band took with the music and their image. More time tweaking those songs in the studio would not have changed that. Love Pop or hate it (and I'm not passing judgement on its artistic merits) it is what it is. Most people I know who love Pop love it passionately and wouldn't change it...and those that don't love it weren't going to be turned around by the band screwing even longer with those song in the studio. It's just a divisive record, that's it.

And if you want to know what the songs would have sounded like if they'd had more time, you have your answer, as half of them have been redone over the years. How did you like those? Did the 00's compilation record make those songs "great"?

And if you want to know what the songs would have sounded like if they'd had more time, you have your answer, as half of them have been redone over the years. How did you like those? Did the 00's compilation record make those songs "great"?

Those remakes for the Best of 00's made violently ill and angry.

Oh, come on. You don't have to follow U2's business stuff in any kind of way to know that Paul has resigned from his management duties and Guy Oseary is handling U2 now. It was all over the media for weeks and all over fan sites and forums, heavily discussed.

Yeesh, what's your problem? Do you want an apology or something? Have I offended you?

Relax.

I never heard about it and was not frequenting any sites or forums that talked about it. BFD, chill out.

The only 'The Best of 1990-2000' remake that I liked was Gone. The other ones, I preferred their original album versions. Don't get me wrong, I love the album version of Gone.

The new Gone mix was pretty good, the rest of the new mixes uniformly neutered the songs. One of the good things about Staring at the Sun was that it was rough and unpolished and thus somewhat unique. To this day, U2 I think has a hard time realizing that's not necessarily a bad thing. Get Off of My Cloud sounds like it was thrown together in about five minutes on the way to the studio, recorded in one take and released that way, and despite that (or maybe partly because of it), the song is a classic.

Perfectionism can be a great thing until it's taken to extremes.

yes, indeed. I will never understand the argument, that the songs on POP were not "finished". There are some of the best rock moments in u2's history on that album... other songs like Please are of high quality ... the state in which POP was released was just perfect for me.

Now I am really courious what we might hear on the new album. The songs got Re-re-re-re treatments for years now... if that made them better... we'll never know

yes, indeed. I will never understand the argument, that the songs on POP were not "finished".

And even if they weren't finished, I really can't blame Magoo for booking the tour...especially if he knew it would cut short their recording time and force them to finish the thing. Given their recording habits, can you blame him? Maybe if McG had been able to book a tour for this year we’d actually have a record right now.

They spent a LOT of time on Pop, too much time probably, and if their manager doesn't book that tour who knows maybe they'd still be in there working on it today, and we’d all be arguing over "Miami" beach clips.

For POP I also wasn't a fan of how the singles were released. I think DYFL should have been the 2nd single, then SATS. DYFL I thought was fresh, summery, and not too traditional U2.

The only 'The Best of 1990-2000' remake that I liked was Gone. The other ones, I preferred their original album versions. Don't get me wrong, I love the album version of Gone.

I didn't like the remake of Gone. I prefer the Original. I count this song in my top 10 U2 - songs of all time.
But it is still a fact that everyone has another taste. So worthless to discuss wheter an album is great or bad.... POP IS GREAT!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using U2 Interference mobile app

Every day it seems there is a new tag that adds itself to the thread, and they just get better and better.
tumblr_mlz8mieA9g1r3pv9ho1_500.jpg

:wink:

The new Gone mix was pretty good, the rest of the new mixes uniformly neutered the songs. One of the good things about Staring at the Sun was that it was rough and unpolished and thus somewhat unique. To this day, U2 I think has a hard time realizing that's not necessarily a bad thing. Get Off of My Cloud sounds like it was thrown together in about five minutes on the way to the studio, recorded in one take and released that way, and despite that (or maybe partly because of it), the song is a classic.

Perfectionism can be a great thing until it's taken to extremes.

Wait...what is Get Off of My Cloud?

Am i braindead or have i missed a song here?

Pop was a great (maybe not perfect, but certainly great) follow-up to Zooropa.
The band distancing itself from Pop and revisiting some tracks seemed stupid.
Moments of brilliance on that record overshadow the few bare spots.
The original Gone, for example, is just awesome.
They should have just pretended like it was exactly what they'd intended to do, and moved on confidently.

Pop was a great (maybe not perfect, but certainly great) follow-up to Zooropa.
The band distancing itself from Pop and revisiting some tracks seemed stupid.
Moments of brilliance on that record overshadow the few bare spots.
The original Gone, for example, is just awesome.
They should have just pretended like it was exactly what they'd intended to do, and moved on confidently.

The first Se7en songs are perfect, the remaining 5 are pretty good and pretty mysterious even. My only problem with PoP was they left off Holy Joe.

Perfect songs on POP the way they are:

DYFL
MOFO
Gone
IYWTVD
Please

These tracks should never ever be fucked around with.

Oh that song. Okay i didnt get that the topic had went from PoP to the Stones, guess i missed that somehow. Best thing about that...the haircuts.

I had just assumed everyone would know I was talking about the Rolling Stones, my bad.

Regardless, my point is that not everything needs to be overproduced and tweaked to death.

LOL. What do you suppose would have been different had U2 a few more weeks on it? Or months? Or years? What do you dislike about the record that you think more time would have "fixed"? And how would any of that changed the DNA of the record so much that it would have been more successful?

Pop wasn't embraced the way the records preceding it were because people didn't like the sound and direction the band took with the music and their image. More time tweaking those songs in the studio would not have changed that. Love Pop or hate it (and I'm not passing judgement on its artistic merits) it is what it is. Most people I know who love Pop love it passionately and wouldn't change it...and those that don't love it weren't going to be turned around by the band screwing even longer with those song in the studio. It's just a divisive record, that's it.

I mostly agree, but I do think that there are some songs that sound incomplete to my ears. IGWSHA and especially LNOE come to mind. It's unlikely that improved versions of these songs would have drastically altered the album's reception, but they might have improved my feelings about the album a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I had just assumed everyone would know I was talking about the Rolling Stones, my bad.

Regardless, my point is that not everything needs to be overproduced and tweaked to death.

That isn't your bad DC. Garrison was just asleep at the wheel on that one. :wink:

Folks, there's a separate thread for what went wrong with Pop. Take your grievances there.

Better not mention overproduction to Axl Rose. It took him two decades to finish GnR's last album. Makes 5 years look like nothing.

What's the difference between a Scotsman and a Rolling Stone?

A Rolling Stone says, "Hey, you, get offa my cloud!"

A Scotsman says, "Hey, McLeod! Get offa my ewe!"

/rimshot

Sent from my fingertips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom