LP13 Discussion - Rock Bottom: Still No F#@&*ng News!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even McGuiness dismisses "POP" in the interview...

"It most likely vanished from your memory and I wish it would vanish from MY memory"

That's a sad statement...There are a few good songs on the album and I know is a favorite for many fans...It has become the "Black Sheep" of U2's discography.

Hopefully, this won't be the case for the new Album...:reject:

wow! he actually said that?

i :heart: pop - it's in my top 3 U2 albums for sure

in fact, the more they hate it, the more i love it :D

The problem I have with POP was the tour. I think the album is still ahead of its time 17 years later.

The problem I have with POP was the tour. I think the album is still ahead of its time 17 years later.

Totally agree. I'm not a fan of the tour, but I think the album is immensely underrated. :up:

Pathetic comments by Mr. McGuiness here. There are many fans who appreciate POP. He makes it sound as if it was some sort of garbage. :|

Totally agree. I'm not a fan of the tour, but I think the album is immensely underrated. :up:

Pathetic comments by Mr. McGuiness here. There are many fans who appreciate POP. He makes it sound as if it was some sort of garbage. :|

Exactly...even if the band disowns the album themselves, they still put it out to the masses. I'm sure they must enjoy a few numbers on it anyway...

One thing for sure, is that the new album WILL keep them afloat and be of a much better quality than NLOTH and (at Least) BOMB...2 crap albums and they're through (Bono's motto)

Anyone here thinks that they considered NLOTH a crap album ? I tend to think they do after Bono repeated this quote at the premiere of FROM THE SKY DOWN in Toronto...

McGuinness didn't like Pop because it wasn't finished, album sales weren't strong, and ticket sales for Popmart weren't good, either, also because of the extremely high ticket prices that I'm sure he had some influence over.

Remember:
mc2_zps868b9b24.gif

The fact that he wants to forget it could be related to wrong investments of that era. It's okay.

But when he assumes that it's vanished from fans' memories, that's the worst part (imho, obviously speaking as a Pop-lover)

Funny, I thought Popmart was genius and a high point in their career, and I don't really care that much for the album... I thought everyone liked Popmart :reject:

McGuinness probably has extra disdain for it just because of how hectic the time was. Booking the tour before the album was done, leading him to believe the album was rushed an unfinished, starting the tour off with a dud of a show, etc. McGuinness may say his favorite record is Zooropa, which I think he has, but that album was released at probably the height of U2's successes and popularity. Of course, as the manager, that's probably when his job was easiest and times were the best.

Pop was probably the toughest era on him, so his memory is probably jaded a bit.

I'm sure he's referring to the poor decisions surrounding that period RE rushing album, booking tour in advance, and not commenting on the album itself

EDIT: bsaically, what popacrobat just said

Funny, I thought Popmart was genius and a high point in their career, and I don't really care that much for the album... I thought everyone liked Popmart :reject:

Popmart was ahead of it's time. Phenomenal tour. If I put on Edmonton, or Leeds, I'm blown away.

I'm sure Mcguinness will have the same opinion for NLOTH 10 years from now.Perhaps the reason he doesn't seem to disdain NLOTH as much righ now it's because the failure of the album didn't impact tickets sales for the 360 tour...........contrary to the popmart tour with the lack of success for Pop.

I liked Pop and Popmart, it got better as the tour progressed. Too bad Bono's voice was shit at most of the shows.

Pop Muzik > Mofo > I Will Follow is just fucking brilliant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ktJXdQ1G-4

I would think that as the manager of a rock band in their mid-50s who obviously aren't concerned with putting out new material, that you'd want to encourage sales of the back catalogue :shrug:

I would think that as the manager of a rock band in their mid-50s who obviously aren't concerned with putting out new material, that you'd want to encourage sales of the back catalogue :shrug:

He's not their manager anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

McGuinness probably has extra disdain for it just because of how hectic the time was. Booking the tour before the album was done, leading him to believe the album was rushed an unfinished

Not really. Actually, Magoo has consistently pushed back against the ridiculous "Pop wasn't that good because we didn't have time to finish it" excuse the band has come up with over the years. As if a few more weeks would have fundamentally changed that record and turned it into a big hit.

McG as quoted in McCormick's book:

"It got an awful lot of time, actually. I think it suffered from too many cooks [in the kitchen]. There were so many people with a hand in that record it wasn't surprising to me that it didn't come through as clearly as it might have done... It was also the first time I started to think that technology was getting out of control."

"pop wasn't that good because we didn't have time to finish it" excuse the band has come up with over the years. As if a few more weeks years, more producers and a lot of Fast Food would have fundamentally changed that record and turned it into a big hit...
:d

Last edited:
Nick66 = McGuinness = Fisher = Bono = Adele = Nick Carraway

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Get ready for the surprise release of Adele's new album '25', plus she's going on tour in 2015.

U2 will delay the album until 2016 because they know Adele will steal their thunder. :yawn:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom