Lillywhite has replaced Chris Thomas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Erm Paul McGuinness said it!!
I dont understand all the negativity in here regarding the new album so what its been put back but I did tell you this at the beginning of the year its old news!!

Dont panic!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Paul MC said its not as if their "starting from scratch". But a statement like that to me indicates they are starting over in some way.

My most conservative estimate is that the album will come out in April 2005. In this senerio, the band despite Paul's comments, will make a brand new album which will take a full year to complete.

The more liberal senerio is that the album comes out in September 2004 with 3 or 4 new songs not from The Chris Thomas sessions and some reproduction on Chris's stuff.

Either way, this is the longest it has ever taken U2 to put out a new studio album since the release of the previous one.

i agree with sting, best hope is sept/oct, but next spring is looking like a good possibility

it's getting to the point where i don't even care.

i actually have my mind set on a new radiohead or/and pearl jam album before we see a new U2 album, which is pumping me up!

"i actually have my mind set on a new radiohead or/and pearl jam album before we see a new U2 album, which is pumping me up!"

This is very good and healthy. U2 will eventually get this album out. Until then we need to go back into hibernation mode when it comes to obsessive frenzy about the album release date. Relax, the album will come eventually.

I'm not happy though that it has taken them this long. Everyone got reved up recently because everyone thought for sure there would be a new album in March.

STING2 said:
Paul MC said its not as if their "starting from scratch". But a statement like that to me indicates they are starting over in some way.

My most conservative estimate is that the album will come out in April 2005. In this senerio, the band despite Paul's comments, will make a brand new album which will take a full year to complete.

The more liberal senerio is that the album comes out in September 2004 with 3 or 4 new songs not from The Chris Thomas sessions and some reproduction on Chris's stuff.

Either way, this is the longest it has ever taken U2 to put out a new studio album since the release of the previous one.

Agreed.

If the work Lillywhite is doing is MINIMAL, and I mean getting a couple of good vocal takes out of Bono, maybe a guitar solo or two from Edge, and adding some backing vocals, then Sept. is possible.
But even if it's 3-4 tunes they're doing with him, forget it.

new album: December 2005.

JOFO said:

Agreed.

If the work Lillywhite is doing is MINIMAL, and I mean getting a couple of good vocal takes out of Bono, maybe a guitar solo or two from Edge, and adding some backing vocals, then Sept. is possible.
But even if it's 3-4 tunes they're doing with him, forget it.

new album: December 2005.

I feel the same. U2 take 6 months to record 3 songs.

December 2005?

I agree it could be in early 2005, but DECEMBER 2005 is nearly 2 years away. Perhaps you meant December 2004. Even if they threw everything away they had worked on the past 2 or 3 years, I don't think it would take them until December 2005. I would say April 2005 at the latest.

mikal said:
it's getting to the point where i don't even care.

i actually have my mind set on a new radiohead or/and pearl jam album before we see a new U2 album, which is pumping me up!

seeing as pearl jam aren't even in the studio for their riot act follow up, and they don't have a record label to release a new album yet... i wouldn't hold my breath

and yea brau... surfside was a good place. lots of drunken pace chicks :up:

Lillywhite produced the first 3 U2 lps in 3.5 years. He knows how to handle the band and get the momentum going. The band has written the songs. Some need reworking, but since they already have a bulk of the material. It won't take long to get them down. I am confident the album will be out in the fall.

Chris Thomas is too old and outta step to record U2. He's in his 60s. Yes, he has a cool catalog of work from the 60s, 70s and a few in the 80s, but that's it. It's been a while for him. He is a standard, non-experimental producer in modern day terms and would not give the band the raw edgy sound they are looking for. He has been producing slick Elton John Adult Contemporary music for a while now.

Lillywhite will deliver. We've all heard WAR...and he sounds ready to get back in the studio and get busy.

What always takes U2 a long time is to write songs and choose a direction, not record them. The band seems more determined and focused now than I have heard in a long time.

This is a good thing!!!

Wow..I leave for a few days and this happened.........I think that Lillywhite is a good thing...I read on another board that single June/July and album out in Sept. I totally believe this because they really aren't starting from scratch.........maybe a few songs...........but in all honesty, I want the band to put out an album they love...and in that case, I can wait and continue to listen to bass trap.

People shouldn't worry...

Its the norm for U2 to take almost 4 years to make an album...

Ever since Boy...

Boy to October - almost 4 years

October to War - almost 4 years

War to Unforgettable Fire - almost 4 years

Unforgettable Fire to Joshua Tree - almost 4 years...

Achtung Baby to Zooropa - almost 4 years

So people should calm down about the long wait thing... Just as the Edge uses a delay effect to make beautiful music U2 uses a delay to... what the hell are they doing, anyways?

Seriously, is it like near impossible to make an album without Lillywhite, Lanois, and Eno?

Every other album they've done outside of the ones done by these guys have had problems/ issues...

Can't U2 work well with others?

Flying FuManchu said:
People shouldn't worry...

Its the norm for U2 to take almost 4 years to make an album...

Ever since Boy...

Boy to October - almost 4 years

October to War - almost 4 years

War to Unforgettable Fire - almost 4 years

Unforgettable Fire to Joshua Tree - almost 4 years...

Achtung Baby to Zooropa - almost 4 years

So people should calm down about the long wait thing... Just as the Edge uses a delay effect to make beautiful music U2 uses a delay to... what the hell are they doing, anyways?

Seriously, is it like near impossible to make an album without Lillywhite, Lanois, and Eno?

Every other album they've done outside of the ones done by these guys have had problems/ issues...

Can't U2 work well with others?

are you serious?

boy-1980
october-1981
war-1983
uf-1984
jt-1987
r&h-1988
ab-1991
zooropa-1993

unless my mental calculator has gone bad........

No, I'm not serious, sort of... Mikal, you're right about your mental calculator... even the time difference between Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree was actually like 2-1/2 years not three.

I really get annoyed with the whole line being repeated by people that "3-4 years is the norm" thing for U2. That is not true. There have been only IMO 2 instances where they took long periods of time in releasing an album and that was Rattle & Hum to Achtung and Pop to ATYCLB.

People point to the period between Zooropa and Pop... No... they released HMTMKMKM and Passengers in between that period... Eno collaboration or not, they released a lot of material with Passengers not retread or remixed material. Hell, I look at most Eno produced U2 albums as more collaborations outside of Achtung...

Its great that Lillywhite is working with them again. Steve was a big part of U2's classic albums. Unfortunately, it doesn't tkae away from the fact that this delay/ wait is getting ridiculous b/c the delay is only building up expectations and setting that album up for a big fall IMO.

Last edited:
exactly.

it's going to be a big disappointment at this point unless it's the greatest album they've ever done (that would be great but it's not happening).
sorry.
and you know what? they've given me JT and AB and that's good enough....but the new album ain't gonna sound that much different today and 8 months from now.

i would love to hear the before (Chris Thomas shit version) and the after (Lillywhite version), just to see how big the difference is. I do believe though that even though Chris Thomas won't be finishing the album, he will still have some tracks to his credit.

Last edited:
Michael Griffiths said:
You know what I'm doing to pass the time until the fall? I'm going backpacking across India for about five months. Anyone want to join me? I'm leaving in mid March.

I'll come with u. (I live in bombay)

Paul McGuinness has given a statement to U2.com: "There are various producers involved in this album," Paul McGuinness told U2.Com, emphasising the organic nature of the recording process. "Chris Thomas has done some great work. It's good to work with Steve again but it's not as if we're starting from scratch." --www.atu2.com

Good Zarquon, people. The article frigging says it'll be out this year. People who're saying it won't be until next year may need to go get their sight checked ...

Axver said:
Good Zarquon, people. The article frigging says it'll be out this year. People who're saying it won't be until next year may need to go get their sight checked ...

um, this is exactly the kind of thing people were saying to the people who said it could be delayed till fall...and we all know how that turned out

and people wonder why i keep bringing up old quotes where people state things that are fact when it really isnt.

the truth is, no one, not even u2 knows when the album will be released, so all we can do is wait and speculate.

I disagree with the general consensus here. As I said earlier, Lillywhite joining the sessions is a very normal thing. If my memory serves me correct Lillywhite joined ATYCLB sessions in the very last stage. I think he worked on Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree in the latter stages as well.

There is nothing wrong with anything here except anticipation.

Mr Griffiths, the biggest U2 fan in India is no longer in India. Unfortunately we have to bipass a great oppurtunity of mixing ice and field hockey. That trip is going to change your life.

ishkash said:
Mr Griffiths, the biggest U2 fan in India is no longer in India. Unfortunately we have to bipass a great oppurtunity of mixing ice and field hockey. That trip is going to change your life.
Yes, mixing ice and fieled hockey would have been a great revolutionary thing! What a missed opportunity. Ishkash, I keep telling myself I must also go to Australia at some point, so perhaps all is not lost! I take it you have no plans on visiting India over the next several months?

Back
Top Bottom