Las Vegas #2 Setlist Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
why?

is there a rule saying you can't end a concert on a contemplative note? music covers every feeling and emotion, each one valid

Eh, U2 just haven't had much luck with them in the past couple of decades, 40 being the notable exception. On recent tours, the better closers have been the rockers (I Will Follow, Out of Control, Vertigo), the anthems (Walk On), or the pure catharsis of Bad. 13 does not play to their strengths, and the way the band leave the stage leaves the audience confused and uncertain if the show is over or when to applaud. It's awkward.

The contemplative ending of 13 would work much better if there were a second encore afterwards, or if it were at the end of the main set.

Eh, U2 just haven't had much luck with them in the past couple of decades, 40 being the notable exception. On recent tours, the better closers have been the rockers (I Will Follow, Out of Control, Vertigo), the anthems (Walk On), or the pure catharsis of Bad. 13 does not play to their strengths, and the way the band leave the stage leaves the audience confused and uncertain if the show is over or when to applaud. It's awkward.

well i guess i haven't seen it in person yet, so will have to report back in September, but i love 13 as an album closer, i think it works beautifully...

The contemplative ending of 13 would work much better if there were a second encore afterwards, or if it were at the end of the main set.

i dunno, because then they would have to really work hard to ramp up the energy again for a short burst in a second encore... and at the end of the main set, well, it would be like starting a whole other story for the next phase of the concert

Acoustic YTBT is a travesty, it needs to go or at least do the full band.

i dunno, because then they would have to really work hard to ramp up the energy again for a short burst in a second encore... and at the end of the main set, well, it would be like starting a whole other story for the next phase of the concert

Doesn't need to be another story. The main set can be the story, and then an encore of hits and energetic tunes to send everyone out the door buzzing. I mean, it's kinda weird having the encore as part of the story anyway. The whole point of the encore is that you enjoyed something so much that you want a little bit more, not that the story is incomplete without the band hurrying back on stage.

Doesn't need to be another story. The main set can be the story, and then an encore of hits and energetic tunes to send everyone out the door buzzing. I mean, it's kinda weird having the encore as part of the story anyway. The whole point of the encore is that you enjoyed something so much that you want a little bit more, not that the story is incomplete without the band hurrying back on stage.

i think that would be disjointed - they clearly have a narrative here from start to finish, they don't need a random collection of crowd pleasers tacked on at the end

plus after playing 25 songs already, i mean, that's pretty good going as it is...

i saw Midsummer Night's Dream the other week at the opera, and there was an intermission right in the middle of it, so it doesn't shock me at all having breaks in a narrative... i.e. with the story continuing in the encore then

maybe it's just personal taste - i loved Moment of Surrender as the closer on 360 - i have no problem not going out uptempo... i love to see what the band cook up for us - i mean, i'm not the kind of person who gets a gift and then takes it back to the shop for a refund/exchange :D

I don't know how anyone in their right mind can say that Love Is Blindness wasn't an effective closer.

I do agree that 13 doesn't work, mainly because of its length, and because of how "up" the preceding song is. On the album I think it's great, not in an arena.

maybe it's just personal taste - i loved Moment of Surrender as the closer on 360 - i have no problem not going out uptempo... i love to see what the band cook up for us - i mean, i'm not the kind of person who gets a gift and then takes it back to the shop for a refund/exchange :D

MOS is one of my 3 favorite songs by the band this millennium but I thought it was a terrible choice for a closer. It should have been the centerpiece of the show, not put at the end. And I'm not sure what 360 shows you went to, but at all the ones I saw it went over like a lead balloon.

That tour could have been so much better, considering they botched the opener as well. Breathe never should have been in that slot.

And I'm not sure what 360 shows you went to, but at all the ones I saw it went over like a lead balloon.

i was at the Paris shows

i don't know how you can tell it went over like a lead balloon - it's not exactly the kind of song the crowd would jump up and down to, so not sure how you're gauging crowd reaction

i was pretty shocked because my teenage (at the time) son was there - he's a massive music fan, more into metal, hadn't really heard much U2 (he sees it as mum's music lol) and now on his way to going professional (getting snowed under with job offers as a session musician and in a band with a label), but he said afterwards that MOS was the song he loved best - now that was a total curved ball for me as he seemed pretty unresponsive during the gig LOL but was just really listening and taking it all in

I don't know how anyone in their right mind can say that Love Is Blindness wasn't an effective closer.

I said "recent tours". Basically, 2000s/10s.

And, mama cass, where did I mention the intermission as a problem? Not sure why you brought that up.

I said "recent tours". Basically, 2000s/10s.

And, mama cass, where did I mention the intermission as a problem? Not sure why you brought that up.

well you said you thought it weird the encore being part of the story - and i was just likening it to an intermission, having a break then the story continuing lol

well you said you thought it weird the encore being part of the story - and i was just likening it to an intermission, having a break then the story continuing lol

Oh, I thought you were pivoting to the intermission the band are doing. Don't mind that, except that a taped version of a song as good live as HMTMKMKM is a total cocktease.

Man, the encore sucks. I wonder if they...care? With the way it’s structured currently they can’t tack on something afterwards, which makes me worried that they won’t change anything at all.

It’s just dumb having to leave a concert with that as your last impression of what is otherwise a solid rock show. (piss break Best Thing aside)

Also I’d be ok if we never heard One live again.

I am a little concerned how much they seem to be painting themselves into a corner with the production and the narrative, there really is only room for variability in the main stage part after Lights of Home, not even on the e-stage where they usually throw in a surprise here and there. Hope Willie and Gavin are getting a few more visuals together so there can be some more rotation...

I must admit I'm not seeing how SATS is so crucial in that spot.

For one thing I'd never thought of it as a political tune, as Bono described it today, though I'd not really thought about its lyrical meaning one way or another. Certainly it's no Pride or American Soul in being a blatantly political number.

I must admit I'm not seeing how SATS is so crucial in that spot.

For one thing I'd never thought of it as a political tune, as Bono described it today, though I'd not really thought about its lyrical meaning one way or another. Certainly it's no Pride or American Soul in being a blatantly political number.
That's the one where they play the KKK videos and what not, right? If so I actually really get the political message when you superimpose it with stuff like that. Think it works well as a lead-in to Pride.

But yeah, it does decrease the chances of much variation in the e-stage set.

I haven't actually watched SATS on a Periscope feed, so no clue what the visuals are. That e stage bit is where I've usually been catching up on the U2gigs write-up.

I've been wanting a Pop song for so long, it's been such a big deal, but can't seem to feel much excitement about SATS, especially not acoustic. In a way I still don't feel they've played a Pop song, which I know is completely ridiculous. It's not even as if I dislike SATS or anything!

Take a couple songs out of the main set and add a few wildcard spots to the encore at least, if they're that scared of tinkering with the structure.

SATS with the Charlottesville footage is incredible. It's a great lead into to Pride. Even for people who didn't recognize the song, it's hard to not be affected by the stuff on the screen. It definitely works.

I think doing a JT30 style encore would benefit them wonders. Innocence and Experience the fuck out of the mainset, and then do a 6-7 song encore of familiar hits to keep the energy up. You get it both ways; the Broadway, contemplativeness, and, you know, not ending on a confusing bummer that 99% don't expect.

RFD and Horses should be there every show. Herd B&E onto the connecting stage after Desire for The Showman before moving to the e stage for the rest.

Rotation options:
NYD/Gloria/Electric Co/2 Hearts
Beautiful Day/Best Thing/ABOY
SATS/Please

They should use the c stages again to close the show with something uptempo, engaging all sides of the arena. Larry can face the back of the arena for the last song. "Seconds" is my pick here because it's still on-theme while serving as an additional deep cut.

The Noel Gallagher walk out track seems strange to me. Was Noel there and that's why they played it?

I love Noel Gallagher and I love that track but it doesn't seem like a track to walk out to

Bono, before playing SATS, talking about the Pop album;

“There’s a few good tunes hidden there...”

Fuck you, Bono! There’s a fucking fantastic beast of an album there is more like it!! Just because Popmart had some poor sales numbers in the US 21 years ago doesn’t make it a bad album. God Damn... so annoying, as that’s one of my favorite U2 albums.

Bono, before playing SATS, talking about the Pop album;

“There’s a few good tunes hidden there...”

Fuck you, Bono! There’s a fucking fantastic beast of an album there is more like it!! Just because Popmart had some poor sales numbers in the US 21 years ago doesn’t make it a bad album. God Damn... so annoying, as that’s one of my favorite U2 albums.

I feel the same when the band talk about WGRYWH.

Played at the first show only, then dropped. After playing it, Bono says "Thanks for your patience".

Left off the best of 90-00, and didn't even get any of its b-sides included on the b-sides disc, even when every other single of that decade did. Even IGWSHA got a remix on there.

Larry saying the song makes him cringe, because he feels that he screwed it up.

Never been a regular on any tour. Always dropped sooner or later.

A fan requests it on the Vertigo tour (I think it was the Vertigo tour anyway), saying he will play on the keyboard with them. Bono brings him up on stage and asks if he will play ANGEL OF HARLEM instead. When the fan insists on Horses, Bono accepts, and then says "what key is it in"? After playing Horses, Bono says to the fan, "You played it better than us".

Also another time on the Vertigo tour, after playing Horses, Bono says "That's the second time ever we've played that tune". What?!?!?!?! After all the zoo-tv performances?? Why does he lie?

To this day, rarely played. Sure it's played once in a while, but it's always dropped in favour of other songs that they've played a million times before.

To say that Horses was the 5th single from its respective album, it was quite a successful single. It was one of their only top 40 US hits. It may have tanked in the UK, but so did MW and EBTTRT...

Last edited:
Love Is All We Have Left

The Blackout

Lights Of Home

I Will Follow

Gloria/The Electric Co

Red Flag Day

The Ocean

Iris (Hold Me Close)

Cedarwood Road

Raised By Wolves

Until the End of the World

Please

(Intermission)

Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me

Vertigo

Desire

Acrobat

Fast Cars

Staring at the Sun*acoustic

Pride (In the Name of Love)

You're The Best Thing

American Soul

City of Blinding Lights

Beautiful Day

encore(s):

Discotheque

One

Love Is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way

I just realized that no one is talking about Zooropa in any way, The band should at least play Daddy's gonna Pay, Some days are better than others, or stay after SATS.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom