Killing Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I read it, great book! :up: Was a nice inside view thing. I liked how you had a storyline that wasn't entirely focussed on U2, it was Neil's life, but somehow U2 kept crossing his path. Certainly not the typical U2 book.

I've read it. The first time I saw it I dismissed it as fiction, but luckily, after I'd learned more about U2, I saw it again and bought it. It's funny and sometimes even insightful. In some ways Neil's band has just had bad luck, but if you compare their early story to U2's, then you appreciate how similar they are and how much harder U2 tried to get there. That is what I learned from it.

Actually what I got from it most of all is that sometimes nice guys do finish first. Neil is brutally honest, I'll give him that but for most of his life he acts like a right asshole. He seems to be his own worst enemy always somehow pissing of the wrong person at the wrong time. Karma bites him on the ass repeatedly til he finally shapes up and starts acting like a responsible human being. Then things start to go right for him, not necessarily with music but with life.

In contrast Bono tended to make friends wherever he went and treated people well and as a result people were more supportive.

One of the nicest things about this book is that it gives you a perspective on Bono from someone who was there from the beginning and has drifted in and out and in again of the inner circle. I doubt if any of those closer to Bono will ever write about him so this is probably as good as it gets. Reading this book and Bono in Conversation give you a really good picture of Bono the person behind the rock star.

Dana

This was definitely one of the best books written about the band...even though it didnt talk about them the whole time. Neil is a very talented writer so he shouldnt be jealous of Bono. Plus it was really funny!

Didn't Bono actually suggest that title? I'm pretty sure he did.

Not sure if he suggested the title but in one of their conversations where Neil exploded about Bono living his dream Bono laughed and said "you'll just have to kill me then."

Dana

I liked this book! like mentioned it is a book about Neil and his band trying to make it in the music business. I both cheered and booed for Neil and his band(s). To me he wanted to be famous for all the wrong reasons!. And yes, the U2 tidbits were BONUS!
I like this book and I want to read it again soon. Maybe sometime this year :}

I read this about 2 years ago and enjoyed it. I'm poor and actually take out books from the library (I'm there everyday and even there right now) so perhaps I'll check it out again. Just a couple floors up.

Like others have said, it gives a perspective that you're not going to get from another source. That is, a longtime friend and fellow musician who is also an excellent writer. Ok, it's possible there could be another person, but unlikely.

One part that sticks out in my mind is when he's with a woman he just met and she has a poster of Bono on her bedroom wall. And he says, "Do you know Bono?" Gives you a sense of how odd it would be to know someone from childhood and have them become that famous. Almost as if they're in a different reality. Or whatever.

Read this book a couple of years ago, really enjoyed it. A great insight into the music buisness and how some make it and others don't.

I think it was better than some of the other books about the band because it was written by a close friend. A real inside view of the early days of U2.

I'm now going to dig it out and read it again !!!!

I read this book for the first time about a year ago when I found it selling on sale at my favourite book shop for €16. It's a Finnish translation and I found it to be both funny as well as interesting, while thinking at the same time ''poor old Neil, try as he might he just can't match with Bonos/U2s success''! :lol:

I have the book and read it for the first time about 2 years ago. I really enjoyed it!

Also interesting to read about the struggle you might get when you're trying to make it in the music business.

With all the talk of the movie, I'm going to read it again.

:hi5: . . . I have to rescue my copy from a friend first :lol:

I really enjoyed the book the first time I read it . . . I was a teeeeny tiiiiiny bit sceptical prior to reading even though I'm a fan of McCormick's writing style and happily I wasn't disappointed . . . he has a great way with words and I found myself roaring with laughter at times . . . have since lent it to a few friends who think the band are royal pains in the ass (always curious to see whether or not this type of thing translates well to non-fans) and they were all mostly complimentary about it and thought, at the very least that it was a funny and insightful read :up: . . . really looking forward to the film though I pity the poor monkey who is playing Bono . . . hopefully he won't befall 'The Wrath of Pleba' :lol:

I'm reading it now and I really like the flow of it. I love how Neil's embarassments are so easy to cringe along with. There were bits where I was like, "OH GOD NEIL NO!"

I love how gracious and enthusiastic Bono came across. It was a really nice insight into what he's like and I really liked that.

Also, the book is hysterical. I've never laughed out loud so hard to a book in my life. :applaud:

^ The book is funny and I dislike Neil in a lot of the book (he is so full of himself) but I also find it endearing that is honest with his failures :)

I Love that part where he talks about how much Ali loves Bono and went on to say.

"Everybody loved Bono. He was such a charasmatic force and he always seemed to have so much love to give, enveloping everyone around him, whether it was a small photo studio or a huge rock venue.

He still carries the same qualities! Bono is :heart:

^ :love: Aww that's cute!!

I have a question (sorry it's off topic :reject:): What does doppleganger (sp?) mean?? :D Because I have no clue :hmm:

The Ghost Who Walks

If you guys want to hear Neils music (which is very good by the way) I Love Harm's way and The World the way I found it, i found God.

In the video Neil appears a few times and also hold his child.

I remember when the book first came out there was a website where you could hear the music from Yeah! Yeah! and Shook up! but is gone now! :(

The last couple of days, Neil has been on the set (yes even doing a cameo) and he tweets about it :)

On the set, maintaining radio silence. The screen Bono is a true doppelganger, makes me feel like I've entered a timewarp.

Meeting Ben Barnes as me was like entering the twilight zone. Discussing "the character" Ben says "I ... I mean Neil ... I mean you."

Greeted on the set by actors: "Hey, Real Neil!". This is my new name.

and esp this one :D
Silence on set. Shooting intense emotional scene. Then my phone bleeps. Everyone glares at me but I have the perfect defence: "It's Bono!"

For those of you in the Western Pennsylvania/Eastern Ohio areas who may be interested...

The Lincoln Park Performing Arts Center is pleased to announce that internationally-known author and musician Neil McCormick will deliver the keynote presentation at this year's Literary and Visual Arts (LAVA) Festival on Thursday, May 27, at 7:30 p.m. Tickets for McCormick's presentation are $5.00 and are available through the Lincoln Park box office, (724) 643-9004.

:hyper:

I might just pick this book up from the library or Amazon. You all have me intrigued now. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom