Kaikoura, Te Wai Pounamu, Aotearoa (Kia Kaha, Aroha to all) Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh ok, right. It is strange but there you go. Mine is my longrunning alter-ego and former and future US president Brett Nathaniel Brettison.

Motherfucker, that first name is a big reason why I don't use my real last name, because I am so sick of people calling me Brett. Especially since I've got to the point that I just smile and answer to it.

Motherfucker, that first name is a big reason why I don't use my real last name, because I am so sick of people calling me Brett. Especially since I've got to the point that I just smile and answer to it.

Pure coincidence. It started out as a parody of an upwardly mobile Amway guy and I wanted the most obnoxious name I could think of.

Last edited:
Like at ANZ our email format was first name.last name@ANZ.com

You couldn't work out what the hell my name was? How fucktarded are you?

My uni in theory has the format first initial dot last name. Problem is they're not at all consistent. Mine has my middle initials instead of the dot. One person I work with has just her initials, no name at all. A rare few have their first name and last initial. Thanks guys, this was meant to help us out.

My last post was something I said in the office a lot. It was most fucking not mumbled

It's actually funny, this Richie is universally adored by the women of the department and universally found boring as fuck by the men of the department.

Let's be honest, the greatest Ri(t)chie, first or last name, is Benaud.

My uni in theory has the format first initial dot last name. Problem is they're not at all consistent. Mine has my middle initials instead of the dot. One person I work with has just her initials, no name at all. A rare few have their first name and last initial. Thanks guys, this was meant to help us out.

Brilliant. At least we've covered universities are actually stupid

Basically my motto.

Hey it got me a postdoc.

It got me a training role at ANZ where these conversations happened, and this is word-for-word:

Her: I need help
Me: Sup babe, have you checked the page on the Intranet :feels smug:
Her: Oh it says this
Me: Fuck me! That's new :goes to computer and realises I've missed something:
Me: Well if you're going to be wrong, do it with total confidence

You have no idea how many newbies listened to me because I went to resting bitch face and pretend like I knew everything with confidence.

It got me a training role at ANZ where these conversations happened, and this is word-for-word:

Her: I need help
Me: Sup babe, have you checked the page on the Intranet :feels smug:
Her: Oh it says this
Me: Fuck me! That's new :goes to computer and realises I've missed something:
Me: Well if you're going to be wrong, do it with total confidence

You have no idea how many newbies listened to me because I went to resting bitch face and pretend like I knew everything with confidence.

Oh this isn't too dissimilar to tutorials.

Student: "Hey André, I was reading about Thing Ax Definitely Knows Nothing About, and I was wondering how did X, Y, and Z happen?"
Me out loud: "Oh yeah well..." ramble for two minutes "...and that's the point."
Me internally: "Gee in the end that actually cycled around to something that sounded smart and the student looks content. Phew. Still have no idea though."

It was Tāmaki Makaurau, Te-Ika-a-Maui. But given we're respecting events lately, I was thinking Chapecó, Santa Catarina, Brazil.

See I was thinking we need to use Ashley's discovery of Gnaw Bone, but here you are being all topical.

Oh this isn't too dissimilar to tutorials.

Student: "Hey André, I was reading about Thing Ax Definitely Knows Nothing About, and I was wondering how did X, Y, and Z happen?"
Me out loud: "Oh yeah well..." ramble for two minutes "...and that's the point."
Me internally: "Gee in the end that actually cycled around to something that sounded smart and the student looks content. Phew. Still have no idea though."

Ax/Ian: "I must check that later"

Later:

Ax/Ian internally: "I feel like I was going to do something" :cracks bottle open:

I met one of my best friends teaching at ANZ. One day we took our break together and I told her I legitimately was making most of it up.

This continued when I got promoted and pulled her into my team.

Oddly, nobody has trusted me more, and she sometimes called me at home on my days off for my thoughts on messages she had to deal with.

Ax/Ian: "I must check that later"

Later:

Ax/Ian internally: "I feel like I was going to do something" :cracks bottle open:

Hahaha no shit.

Or the worse version: "there was something I was going to check before..."; ten minutes later somebody asks a question. "Oh shit, that's what I meant to check."

On the other hand I'm not sure the kids ever cottoned on to how little I knew about some weeks.

I met one of my best friends teaching at ANZ. One day we took our break together and I told her I legitimately was making most of it up.

This continued when I got promoted and pulled her into my team.

Oddly, nobody has trusted me more, and she sometimes called me at home on my days off for my thoughts on messages she had to deal with.

That moment when you think you know nothing about something but actually know a thing or two.

Hahaha no shit.

Or the worse version: "there was something I was going to check before..."; ten minutes later somebody asks a question. "Oh shit, that's what I meant to check."

On the other hand I'm not sure the kids ever cottoned on to how little I knew about some weeks.

I think I got away with it because sometimes I'd just admit (in front of seriously important people in some cases) "I've got nothing, hold on a minute"

That meant when there was something I wasn't sure about but could bluff, they trusted me because I'd had to admit failure earlier.

Plus you know, when in doubt, be confident. It's not only effective, but if you have someone giggling behind you because you've given them the look, it's really funny when you go get an ice cream on lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom