July 5, 2011 - Soldier Field - Chicago, IL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
okay. i remember you now. did you do something media-related? and for some reason, TCU is popping up in my brain. i apologize, i'm old and feeble and don't remember many things these days :)

Haha your memory's better than you think. Right and Right again, I studied sports broadcasting/film at TCU.

The writstband is for floor access. You still need to stay in line after you get banded. However, you can leave to go to the bathroom, get food, put stuff away and that usually isn't an issue.

Heck in Seattle and Anaheim, I left to take a shower and eat but because we were a group there was no issue.

The only drama was Anaheim when they wristbanded early and DRay9911 had to sprint back from the hotel. Of course he probably doesn't remember. :wink:

:lol: i was sitting there getting dressed and charging my camera batteries and at 230 my phone blew up with texts, "get back here!"

Haha your memory's better than you think. Right and Right again, I studied sports broadcasting/film at TCU.

:whew: i didn't remember from the screenname, the picture brought it back!

I'm in Chicago right now. I believe people came to the stadium. There were people running a list. Because fans are not allowed to line up until 6am, people added their names to the list and were told to return tomorrow (July 5th). Numbers were written on hands and people left in good faith.

Ok....so some people have issues about people starting a list so early. As Romi said, someone is gonna start it at some time.

Some people have issues with the fact that they showed up early to wait only to be told they are not allowed to wait the day before the show.

I just want cool head to prevail tomorrow. Numbered folks are gonna show up along with non-numbered folks. I don't wanna see things get ugly. That isn't what U2 is all about and our fans should have this as priority number one.

I chose Chicago as one of my shows because they made a damn DVD bout all yall, so I figured it would be a great place to see the band. Please don't make the Mirrorball Man 2.0 go back to Toronto with ill thoughts. Everyone I've met so far in Chicago has been absolutely LOVELY.

(My room wasn't supposed to be ready until 3pm so I sat in the lobby after having a wonderful breakfast with Hope and Stacey. I fell asleep in the lobby with my laptop open and I have a U2 sticker on the outiside case. The woman behind the desk saw the sticker and asked if I'm here for the U2 show. I begin to tell her my travels, the fans, Bono stories....and would you look at that...... a room is all of a sudden available for me at 1pm. Sweet room too at the Travelodge.)

Anywhoo.....Don't let the Bastards grind you down. Let's keep the epicness of Nashville going!

Amen U2 Brother, amen...and welcome to Chicago!! I hope to meet you in line tomorrow. :wave:

Ok, LemonMelon's passed out on me, and I'm about to head that way myself. I can't wait to see you all tomorrow, and I definitely can't wait to see U2 again after all of the time and delay (goodness, it's been almost two years since last I saw them :()

:hyper:

This is what I think...

U2 is a great band. They don't promote hatred and animosity.
That's the reason I like them. I like the message they give.

I am for whatever the fans are for.
Majority should rule, and we should all get along.
We should ELEVATE.

I just wanted to pass along what the venue had to say about a list. They are against it.

We can bring DSLR cameras as long as their lens is not more than 3" fully extended. I have a Canon 30D with a 55mm 1.8 lens. I have permission to bring it in. (We all can bring a DSLR so long as it conforms to the lens requirements).

I am on the list. I have also spoken with Kevin Walsh. I want no problems from the fans or event staff. Let's just agree to try the list. If the staff nixes it, we accept it, and move on.

After all... we are here to see U2!

PS. The parking garages will not open til 5am. The North one actually opens at 5, the South at 1pm.

Hey everyone, just posting really quick before we head to Soldier Field. For those talking about wristbanding, they didn't give wristbands early for Chicago 1 or 2 in 2009. At about 4:30 they lined us all up. You didn't actually get your wristband until you were being allowed into the stadium. Hopefully however, soldier field security and event staff learned from the chaos (aka cluster&#*@) that was Chicago 1 in 09, and we can get them early.

I know I don't post much, more of a lurker, but I'm excited to meet everyone in line!

Mary

Getting excited for Chicago!!! Leaving around 10am (5 hr drive). I'm ok with hanging around at the back of the GA this time around. Looks like this may be it for at least a couple of years. :sad:

$46 to park at Soldier Field is crazy... I'm hopefully going to find some place a little cheaper and walk. I'm driving back afterwards so I need to get away from the main traffic a bit. Don't know if that's possible but we'll see.

Safe travels all!

Getting excited for Chicago!!! Leaving around 10am (5 hr drive). I'm ok with hanging around at the back of the GA this time around. Looks like this may be it for at least a couple of years. :sad:

$46 to park at Soldier Field is crazy... I'm hopefully going to find some place a little cheaper and walk. I'm driving back afterwards so I need to get away from the main traffic a bit. Don't know if that's possible but we'll see.

Safe travels all!

You might try: Central Parking System | Home

See you tomorrow and safe travels!

I hope you all have fun in Chicago. Wish I was going. I was at the Nashville show. The sign up started a day early near our hotel. We got a number from them. We came back the next day at 5 am and we lined up by numbers. We got to the area that we were going to camp around at and we got renumbered by u2 security(?) About 20 or so people just ended up showing up and jumped the line but got kicked out later because they weren't numbered from the night before or the morning. We were allowed to leave the line at times. Noone gave us trouble.

I know that it is different at every venue but I thought the security people in Nashville did a pretty excellent job. They kept refreshing our numbers because it was so fricken hot out. Before we were about to go in, they kicked out two guys who showed up and tried to cut people. They said they were there all day but they were not. Noone saw them. There were no wristbands at our show either.

I know this is easier said than done but try not to stress out too much about the ga line. It will work out in the end. :)

U2 Signing Autographs in Chicago

My family and I are staying at the Park Hyatt, and the folks here say that while the band normally stays here, they are not this time. Apparently they are flying in tomorrow (7/5) and flying out again right after the show.

A little bummed, but looking forward to seeing them tomorrow night.

Do you know if/where the band will make an appearance in Chicago or outside Soldier Field today to sign autographs? i got up around 2:30 this morning and was planning on driving the 5 hours up to Chicago to try and get a spot outside the Park Hyatt expecting that U2 would sign autographs to the fans but luckily I found this before I left the house. So again, if anyone has any information on where I could find U2 signing autographs today I'd greatly appreciate it! :D

police and security honoring tje line as of now. everyone in good spirits

Numbering went pretty well, except for the people who decided to jump the line and are currently still in line ....NOT COOL !!!!
:angry:

I'm now 80th in line, perhaps my highest number on this tour. I'm thinking outside rail for this show.

I went up to security and politely asked him about how he let 6 people bud in front of the ga line. I politely asked him. He snaps back at me and tells me to get back in line. I ask him politely again and he threatens me that I won't see the show. Pfffft! Terrible.

Anywhoo. People have taken pictures of the 6 line jumpers and apparently they are going to Montreal. Beware!

I'd love to see those pics then. I don't do line jumpers well. I'll go mad Dutchie on them, just like I did in Dublin with two other Dutchies when some girl tried to get to her dad, who went in line like the rest of us at 6am, and she came sauntering in at 11 claiming she overslept and he didn't wanna wake her. :| I don't give a shit what your excuse is, if you're late, you go in line at the end.

I went up to security and politely asked him about how he let 6 people bud in front of the ga line. I politely asked him. He snaps back at me and tells me to get back in line. I ask him politely again and he threatens me that I won't see the show. Pfffft! Terrible.

Sounds like Rose Bowl security is helping out for this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom