July 5, 2011 - Soldier Field - Chicago, IL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
EDITED Because I don't want to cause trouble, and because I also just went and got a refresher on what number in line I was at the Arlington gig when I got there at 5:30 AM.

I apologize in advance if I caused any bad feelings if you read what I said. Let's just please put it aside if possible, I think I've slept four hours total in the last two days, and I'm a little on edge, GA does this to me.

Nobody told you because nobody knew. I'm sure what they told you is, "go down as soon as you want to." At some point somebody wanted to, went down, and since there was no line, they started one. That's just how it works. No one was trying to fool you. The whole concept of posting a "time for when the line starts" just makes things worse, as there are people who will show up an hour before THAT, and an hour before THAT, and so forth. That's why people just say, "show up when you're ready."

:shrug:

Can I sign you as bono212? :)

Argh, this is irritating and I'm none too happy about going along with it, but I need a good spot.

Anyone else from out of state want to be signed up?

Could you sign me up, please? I'm just leaving MSP now, and I'll be down in the Loop by around dinnertime.

Folks that are already on the ground down there, please keep updating things on this thread as they develop! I'll be checking periodically as I make my way across Wisconsin.

Nobody told you because nobody knew. I'm sure what they told you is, "go down as soon as you want to." At some point somebody wanted to, went down, and since there was no line, they started one. That's just how it works. No one was trying to fool you. The whole concept of posting a "time for when the line starts" just makes things worse, as there are people who will show up an hour before THAT, and an hour before THAT, and so forth. That's why people just say, "show up when you're ready."

:shrug:

That's fine; I see where you're coming from. The thing is, I never would have asked when the line forms because it varies so much. I find this process frustrating because it favors those that live in the city and those who are too lazy to actually line up two days beforehand, shunning some of the hardcore in the process. But hey, I'm over it. I don't want there to be any hard feelings, and I want for us to all have a good time.

Listen. I see how you are frustrated with this. I drove from Toronto to Buffalo and flew from Buffalo to Chicago only to be 84. This is the highest number I've ever gotten for the tour. What am I gonna do about it? Nothing.

Yes it does favour people who live in that particular city. Most other dates ive been to on tour have had a sign up and a roll call. This one started early. Oh well.

All I know is folks better start taking their vitamins for my hometown show. When that rooster crows....

Whew - glad I'm not doing GA for this one. But yes, lists are usually enforced. They are a good thing in the end, trust me. And those of you who have not been to a show can't fathom how much good rail there is. Top 250 will be VERY happy. Top 50 will never want to go to another show again. Top 500 will be quite content indeed.

All that being said - for those of you who want to do something tonight with some good fans, kick back and have a session the night before with $3 Jameson...

Info and directions in this thread here:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f232/fourth-of-july-chicago-fan-meet-up-211414.html

Last edited:
Ok. I'm wandering around the stadium by cannot find where the list people might be. I thought someone said Main entrance but I don't know which one that would be

ToddJ said:
Ok. I'm wandering around the stadium by cannot find where the list people might be. I thought someone said Main entrance but I don't know which one that would be

South tunnel

I got this from Kevin Walsh, the event coordinator at Soldier Field:

"Last concert a fan started a number wrist banding system. That did not work out real well for the fan. We have police ready to issue tickets prior to 6 a m. The only system that we will honor is the system that we will implement. If someone tells you are 79 and you come # 7. You are # 7 in our plan. We have Stadium rules and we follow them. That is the bottom line. If the fan club creates internal drama that is on the fan club and not us. But we will use OUR plan."

"Last concert a fan started a number wrist banding system. That did not work out real well for the fan. We have police ready to issue tickets prior to 6 a m. The only system that we will honor is the system that we will implement. If someone tells you are 79 and you come # 7. You are # 7 in our plan. We have Stadium rules and we follow them. That is the bottom line. If the fan club creates internal drama that is on the fan club and not us. But we will use OUR plan."

lol LOVE THIS!

Last time was a shit show. Glad they've learned something and I'll see all of you tomorrow.

Does this mean that the "list" means absolutely nothing then?

What had happened in 2009? I was around but only vaguely aware of the GA procedure, helping someone find the line the day before and then visiting the line the day of the show. Did they end up honoring the list last time?

Sorry for the wait...my phone has no internet so I am borrowing someone else's. We can't sign other people up, so sorry to those of you who can't make it, I still don't agree with this but apparently U2 security will recognize the fan number system. Three women are on a bench on the south side of the stadium near the turnstiles with the list for those of you who are still trying.

U2 security will recognize the line .... but will the stadium security?

I did like the line about the line drama. "You're not blaming us again for this mess!"

Apparently U2 security has been overriding stadium security and will come by and rearrange/renumber the line. I honestly don't know if that will happen...I've never done this. Signing off for now, see you all at the show.

Im gonna side with Mr Walsh on this one. He has answered several questions for me, and has direct contact with U2 security. How else would he tell me my DSLR camera is allowed in?

alma posted on saturday that u2 security renumbered everyone at some point mid-morning.

no. i think what happened was that all of the regulars started getting their numbers the day before. very late friday/early saturday, people who didn't know about the signups or people who did but didn't care started to line up. i don't know how many people there were.

when everybody started rolling up to the stadium, they saw the others already there. i'm sure this went over VERY well.

i don't know if u2-security numbered those people or not. but i don't think they were

from another person's post on facebook, the others were kicked out of line very late in the afternoon, between 330-430. if this is true, this is the part i disagree with on two counts. not only were they booted out, but they were booted out late (with a much longer line).

of course, this is what i pieced together in my mind through facebook posts. not sure how accurate it actually is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom