July 23, 2011 TCF Stadium Minneapolis III: Stuck In A Heat Wave You Can't Get Out Of

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an extra GA ticket for this show...if anyone here knows of someone in need, all I'm asking for is to get back what I paid for it. (face value +ticketmaster fees). Email me at nkluenenberg@hotmail.com if you are interested!

I'm interested. I'll email you.

For those who are doing GA, how miserable will it be in line with the rain? I endured the heat at Chicago and the hot as hell heat at St. Louis, but I haven't had to deal with rain yet. At Soldier Field, they allowed us into the stadium on the concourse to get us out of the heat there. Any chance they may do that at TCF because of the storms? Is it even possible there?

I'm interested. I'll email you.

For those who are doing GA, how miserable will it be in line with the rain? I endured the heat at Chicago and the hot as hell heat at St. Louis, but I haven't had to deal with rain yet. At Soldier Field, they allowed us into the stadium on the concourse to get us out of the heat there. Any chance they may do that at TCF because of the storms? Is it even possible there?

I spoke to a security guy tonight with another fan, and he said that the stadium does have more than enough room for emergencies. Whether or not that applies to getting people out of the rain while waiting for GA is one thing, but he said the stadium did have to evacuate people to the inside during a tornado that hit Minneapolis earlier in the year. So it is possible, but who knows how they'll handle it before the show if the whether gets bad.

I signed up for one of the GA queue lists just in case before it got shut down by security. But I'm going to basically wing it on Saturday morning and see what they let us do in the end. Hopefully it doesn't get too insane!

Thanks for the info. I've done GA where I've been on the list and not been on it. Always ended up with a great spot. In fact for the 2nd Chicago show back in '09, I got to the line at 8am, not on the list, and ended up in the pit, second row in front of Adam. With the crowd moving so much, I eventually ended up on the front rail (fine by me and the two guys who were in front of me didn't mind either). I ended up getting a set list from the stage.

I just hope TCF will take a cue from Soldier Field if the weather gets nasty.

Looks quite likely for at least some rain tomorrow. I like following Reed Timmer from Storm Chasers on FB. He is in South Dakota watching for tornadoes and says the forecasts look good for tornadoes in southern Minnesota tomorrow. I trust his predictions, so hopefully the bad stuff stays in southern MN.

https://www.facebook.com/ReedTimmerTVN

The city is excited:

U2 returns to Minneapolis in first major outdoor stadium concert in decades | kare11.com

U2 ready to grip Minnesota | Minnesota Public Radio News

Scott Ellison, the university's associate athletic director for facilities, said they have a plan for fans in the open air stadium.

"With the opening of the stadium we did a life safety plan in that is a evacuation for all scenarios -- weather, whatever might pop up," Ellison said. "If it's a thunderstorm and it's going to be lightning and hail, we'll probably try shelter in place, which is everybody into the concourse, into the bowels of the stadium, if it's worse than that, we'll probably evacuate out to outside buildings."

Whatever happens, Reedy said the band will keep playing.

"I have four Irishmen that are my bosses, but there's one boss above them, and he's up there and he calls the shots — especially when it comes to rain. "But I've seen these guy play in the driving rain, and the energy level just comes up."

I have a quick question about GA typically on the 360 tour. I know they usually have a separate gate for GA but when I get onto the field with my GA ticket am I allowed to leave? Am I just showing someone my ticket to get on and off the field in case I want to go and get some merch in the concourse?

If you are on the floor, make buddies with those around you. In the event you need to go to the bathroom, they may hold your spot. If you keep leaving, you'll probably end up forfeiting it.

:wave: to all my peeps getting ready for this show, I keep thinking it is tonight with everyone lining up so early.

Same here. I had to take a tylenol PM, drink some beer, and a pain killer to get some sleep last night. Tonight I am just not going to sleep. I figure the rain will keep me awake :)

HOLY #$%@ I am SO excited!!

:applaud:

Haven't seen these guys since the 80's and early 90's (when I was admittedly a younger gal and U2 was frankly and U2 was um... a little different) and I am so ready to be blown away. I have really missed U2. I'm doing the GA thing for the first time ever and I'm a little nervous. I'm not too confrontational and I don't want any drama. Reading all this BS about notebooks being started by some dude named Chris is disturbing. WTF? Back in my day (I know, I know, I walked uphill BOTH ways to school etc) that would have never happened. You effing slept outside for days to buy tickets (of COURSE there was no internet) for the privilege of being first in line to buy them. Anyone who started some stupid BS notebook and then left would be ignored at best and punched at worst. No joke. That is just ridiculous. Anyway, rant over. I'll be there when I get there to get in line. And no matter where I'm standing it should be good. I just want to see a great show and have a good time!

:D

I meant more of if I leave the floor, do I have a wristband or do I get to keep my ticket stub and show it to them. Not really sure because I would love to keep my ticket stub. Has the 360 tour been using wristbands for the GA?

I meant more of if I leave the floor, do I have a wristband or do I get to keep my ticket stub and show it to them. Not really sure because I would love to keep my ticket stub. Has the 360 tour been using wristbands for the GA?

It's been both ways. Don't know if they'll do wristbands for TCF or not. Keep your stub!

I've been lurking on this list for a long time, and thanks to everyone for the info and the entertainment. I think I might finally have something useful to say. You all may know this, but CVS, Walgreens, and Walmart all sell clear disposable ponchos for under $2 each. The come folded, so they're easy to fit in a pocket. This being a Minneapolis show, I'd like to say you could buy them at Target, but I've never been able to find them there.

Went to CVS for a last minute poncho purchase.

So glad I kept the free one a law firm gave to me at my previous job! Should come in handy this weekend.

If you are on the floor, make buddies with those around you. In the event you need to go to the bathroom, they may hold your spot. If you keep leaving, you'll probably end up forfeiting it.

This. There were fans in Chicago who were able to go back and get pretzels and beer due to this (or because they went with friends they had anyway).

You all may know this, but CVS, Walgreens, and Walmart all sell clear disposable ponchos for under $2 each. The come folded, so they're easy to fit in a pocket.

My wife bought 7 last night at Walmart for $.88 each. These GA tickets were Christmas gifts 2 years ago to our 3 kids, a spouse and a finance who is now also a spouse.

Excited but worried about the heat/humidity. Hoping to be in line by 8am.

GOOD MORNING MINNESOTA!

img20110722082542.jpg

Updates from the ground this morning:

It's getting muggy again. Walking around the U this morning found me awash in sweat, and I was back at my bro's apartment before 9 AM.

Tour staffers, CSE, and UMPD were dropping off plywood on the plaza behind the scoreboard. Not sure what they were going to be doing (setting up booths, putting them up on the see-through fence to make sure the stragglers can't see).

The guys that think they're running the line are sitting on the step of the veterans memorial, next to Gate E. I was meandering around there, and a fella in a slouch hat asked me if I was looking for GA. I asked him if it was a wee bit early for doing that. He chuckled and said something along the lines of "If you'd have asked me that yesterday, when I started this, I'd agree. But since it's the day before the show, then not at all." I shrugged and went on my way.

I found that my seats in 246, row 9 are blocked by the canvas on the legs of the Claw. I guess I'll just have to move down to below the scoreboard

Based on weather forecasts, if I were on the floor for this show, I would expect to have to clear the deck at least once. The U is notoriously risk-averse, and if they follow the same rules that us softball umpires follow, it's time to clear the ramp if any lightning is seen. Having a giant metal claw hanging above 7,000 people on an aluminum floor does not help matters. Don't be surprised if there's a lightning delay. Considering I'll be coming from southern Minnesota to the U prior to the show and walking from my brother's apartment to the stadium (about 15 minutes), a slight delay won't hurt.

"Burning Sky" by Bad Company will be a good song for the GA line.

Hope to see lots of you at the Leaning Tower tonight!

The GA list is bullshit, right? No way someone can start taking names on Wednesday and expect it to hold up on Saturday.

The GA list is bullshit, right? No way someone can start taking names on Wednesday and expect it to hold up on Saturday.

The way I see it, the only way their line is valid is if everyone on it beats everyone else there tomorrow morning. Anyone who gets there late and expects to be put ahead of 300 people isn't going to get a warm reception.

Flying in from St. Louis today. Going to try to make it to the meet up tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom