Interference Random Music Talk Pt XVII-Lance's Mom Ed.-Jizz the Bang and the Splatter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd love to talk seriously about jazz, but it's such an expansive topic that I wouldn't know where to start.

At the beginning....how'd you first get into it, who did you initially listen to, what do you think of the artists you first liked now, how has your appreciation for the genre changed/evolved?

Ha. Well done, Ashley.

I hate Apple so much sometimes, but the iTunes store pisses me off more than anything else (save for the iPad. Dear God, do I hate the iPad). When they finally went DRM-free they acted like they were doing us a fucking favor. I know I pimp the Amazon store on here A LOT (see: Yesterday), but it really is a quality program that I've never had problems with. And those $5 albums are no joke, just take a look through the selection and you'll see what I mean. Most of the top albums of the year are available there. How people have not seen the light regarding the better option is beyond me. It's not like the iPod ONLY plays iTunes purchased songs or anything.

Also, if you're looking to get into jazz, don't let me convince you to start with John Zorn.

Ha, I really get the impression that would be like attempting to turn someone on to classic rock with White Light White Heat.

(Mike, this may be your last chance to whip out the Jim Zorn alter)

ETA: (Dammit, Mike.)

I've done a lot of shopping over at the Amazon store the past year or so.

Thanks to my rewards card, I get a $25 gift card every few months or so, keeping me in a pretty steady supply of great music. (Or fueling my Desert Island lists...either way)

At the beginning....how'd you first get into it, who did you initially listen to, what do you think of the artists you first liked now, how has your appreciation for the genre changed/evolved?

Well, my Dad got me started. I listened to two Miles Davis albums: Kind of Blue and Sketches of Spain. I got curious and looked at most of Miles's catalogue (which is enormous). The thing that I found incredibly compelling about Miles was his creative momentum. Every album was an entirely new experience.

My favorite Miles era became the "Second Quintet," which was together from 65-68. I then looked into the catalogues of his sidemen, and fell in love with Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter. Then I began to listen to the albums led by their sidemen, and then their sidemen, and so on. Most of these artists had recorded extensively on Blue Note, and I just began collecting. It is an expensive but rewarding habit.

Ultimately, Miles is still my favorite. In terms of creativity and sheer artistry, only Mingus comes close.

Well, my Dad got me started. I listened to two Miles Davis albums: Kind of Blue and Sketches of Spain. I got curious and looked at most of Miles's catalogue (which is enormous). The thing that I found incredibly compelling about Miles was his creative momentum. Every album was an entirely new experience.

My favorite Miles era became the "Second Quintet," which was together from 65-68. I then looked into the catalogues of his sidemen, and fell in love with Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter. Then I began to listen to the albums led by their sidemen, and then their sidemen, and so on. Most of these artists had recorded extensively on Blue Note, and I just began collecting. It is an expensive but rewarding habit.

Thanks for sharing. As a music/book/movie lover, I can relate to expensive but rewarding habits.

Yeah, this is what has attracted me to his work, also. I don't sit around all day and listen to Bitches Brew (mostly because an entire day would be required to listen to it), but between that and In A Silent Way, Kind of Blue, Sketches of Spain...the variety there is incredible.

Speaking of Herbie Hancock:

album-head-hunters.jpg

The shit.

I don't sit around all day and listen to Bitches Brew (mostly because an entire day would be required to listen to it)

Ha ha, that's true, especially so in the case of the "Complete Sessions" box. It's four-and-a-half hours long.

This will sound cliched, but of about three-hundred jazz albums that I've heard, Kind of Blue is still the best. The mood and musicianship is astonishing. It's the kind of album that continues to reward me, even after dozens of listens.

As for jazz in general, I think that it functions best as mood music. I listen to it while I'm reading or studying, and I find that it helps me focus. Appreciating jazz, I think, is about stepping outside the conventional music listening experience. If one does not look at albums as coherent wholes, then jazz will be difficult to enjoy. Of course, that's not to render any judgment on anyone's tastes - rather just a general appraisal of how jazz works.

:up: i'll keep this in mind for the future. my problem with "mood/background music" has always been that i feel like i'm not doing an album justice if i put it on specifically as mood or background music. that might sound ridiculous.

who is that in your avatar by the way? is it Miles? (it probably is, or someone else bleedingly obvious, but i don't study the faces of those who make music)

No way in hell The Flaming Lips place that high. And it would be Race for the Prize, anyway.

Good call, Laz. Race For The Prize at #30.

All of my other picks are still there though. :up: I really, really want Pitchfork to be as predictable as I think it is.

Shouter, I haven't got around to that Sex Church deal, although it's not for a lack of trying. I've simply been unable to find it. The only thing I'm able to locate is a single called "Dead End." Worth the plunge?

Anyway, "Race for the Prize" did indeed get the nod, and "1979" was cataloged for the instaclassic it was (this coming from a non-Pumpkins fan). Also nice to see the eternally awesome "Autumn Sweater" get a nod. Even now, it's still one of my favorite THE TANG! tunes. I realize I don't talk YLT much, but they're really an exquisite band.

Via Chicago is in my top 10 for the decade.

Probably for me as well, although a couple Being There tunes trump it. Hell, Being There is probably my fourth favorite album of the 90s behind all-time #1 Achtung, Birdie, all-time #2 OK Computer and all-time #3 Poppycock.

Wow, my favorite three albums ever are from the 90s. Who'da thunk it?

Good call, Laz. Race For The Prize at #30.

All of my other picks are still there though. :up:

Race for the Prize is too low :(

Live Forever over Wonderwall, and, just as I suspected but forgot to state, thus making me look like a bit of a dill, Unfinished Sympathy was their Massive Attack pick. Surprised it was only #44 though.

also the overrated Nothing Compares 2 U makes an appearance.

I don't know about that...Oasis seems to be the most reviled band among Pitchfork writers. Every mention of Oasis, whether it be Definitely Maybe or Don't Believe the Truth, is loaded with vitriol. The review of Heathen Chemisty is still the most biased, inane piece of writing that I've seen on the site - absolutely devoid of any shred of what might be considered journalistic merit.

But maybe I'll be wrong. I actually hope that I'll be wrong in this regard.

You were wrong. I was right. You were hoping that you'd be wrong. You were wrong. Hopefully you're happy somewhere there in the dark corners of your mom's basement.

No. I haven't had either in a while.

The problem is, either IYS made up a great band name, or they're simply too obscure for google. I think the latter is more likely, considering. I kinda want to hear this, just so the joke will live on a bit longer.

Their debut album was pretty big, and I still do like Tennessee and Mr Wendal, but they were rather preachy. I have no idea what they did after that. An MTV Unplugged, and then .... ?

Wasn't the main guy's name Speech? I remember he was from Milwaukee. That's all I've got.
the only other thing i know about them is the girl from the group left in the mid-90s and went solo and became a one hit wonder. yeah.

Wow, busy in here tonight.

Laz's favorite jazz albums:

Miles, Bitches Brew
Herbie Hancock, Maiden Voyage
Thelonius Monk, Monk's Dream
John Coltrane, A Love Supreme
Miles, Kind of Blue
Miles, Agharta/Pangea
Miles, Live at the Fillmore East
Bill Evans, Converations With Myself
Miles, Filles de Kilimanjaro
Charles Mingus, Mingus Mingus Mingus
Thelonious Monk, Brilliant Corners
Miles, Live Evil
Miles, Dark Magus
John Coltrane, Ascention
John Coltrane, Giant Steps
Miles, Sketches of Spain

Clearly I'm partial to Miles' fusion material. I also have some Bird, Sonny Rollins, Armstrong, & Monk compilations but couldn't single out any other specific albums. There are also many other Miles albums I could list; the man's got the most diverse and towering discography of any jazz artist.

I realize I'm probably lightyears behind the times here, but I saw/heard Eminem's The Way You Lie for the first time today. A couple of things stood out to me:

1) Charlie isn't a hobbit. He must be a wizard. How else do you explain that little midget getting make-out time with two of the hottest brunettes in the business?

2) Surely I'm not the only one uncomfortable with Rhianna singing about domestic violence?

Back
Top Bottom