For Cat Lovers Only XVI - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Try switching to wet food for a while and see if that works. My parents cat was throwing up every day and once they switched to wet food only she stopped. Some cats have a harder time digesting dry food.

I don't know if he's having any problems with his dry food though as he's been eating this stuff for about 10 years now.

Not sure how he would react to just wet food because he does snack on his dry stuff through the day and would probably think he was being punished or something if his dry food bowl suddenly went missing

Oscar will do that sometimes. He also tends to scarf his food down quickly and when he's eaten a lot quickly is when he tends to vomit the most. What I have found helps is to feed him small amounts of food at a time (just over the few minutes he gets fed), instead of giving him all his wet food at one time. I have several cats, so I give Oscar a small chunk of canned food, then give everyone else a small chunk, then Oscar, then everyone else...and so on until they all have their food. It really does seem to help.

This seems like a good idea but unfortunately, especially in the mornings, we just don't have the time to do the gradual feeding. We're busy getting out the door ourselves and so he gets his food bowl and then we have to run.

But, I'll try to alter things a little and try to do this for a few days and see if it works and how he responds to it.

Thanks for the tip indra. I'll keep an eye on him. He may just be missing his Daddy. And maybe I didn't feed him enough the first 5 times, LOL. I never know exactly how much to give, so I probably give lesser amounts than overdoing it. Just a learning process.

Thanks for the tip indra. I'll keep an eye on him. He may just be missing his Daddy. And maybe I didn't feed him enough the first 5 times, LOL. I never know exactly how much to give, so I probably give lesser amounts than overdoing it. Just a learning process.

What happens if you free feed? Most cats are grazers and just nibble a bit here and there when they're hungry. Or will he eat the whole bowl? lol.

LOL - I just never know how much to leave - I'm sure hubby leaves more than I do. I think if he's really hungry he'll eat it all, and if there's an abundance in the bowel, he will leave some. He's a grazer for sure. I just didn't know if it was good to feed all day long. Hubby fills a cup for his daily feeding, and we feed from that cup throughout the day. Plus I thought I gave him a lot this morning, but then again, I was sleepwalking to the bowl at 6:00am on 4 hours of sleep :crack: He's currently sleeping under my bed :cute:

I think I'm addicted to taking pictures of my cats. lol.

zoooeypurtyperch.jpg

zoeeylolwut.jpg

zoooeysaywut.jpg

What happens if you free feed? Most cats are grazers and just nibble a bit here and there when they're hungry. Or will he eat the whole bowl? lol.

We discovered early on after we adopted Callie that no matter how much we put down, she'd snarf it up and then urp. So we feed her a little every hour or so when we can. And we have to separate her and Fergus when we feed them, or else she'll wolf hers, then push him away and take his!

This seems like a good idea but unfortunately, especially in the mornings, we just don't have the time to do the gradual feeding. We're busy getting out the door ourselves and so he gets his food bowl and then we have to run.

But, I'll try to alter things a little and try to do this for a few days and see if it works and how he responds to it.

You could try spreading the dry food out on a flat tray (I guess you could also do something similar with wet food, but it would be messy!). I've read that some people have had success with getting their cats to eat more slowly by doing that.

That's a good idea. I've also heard that elevating the food off the floor helps with digestion as well.

You could try spreading the dry food out on a flat tray (I guess you could also do something similar with wet food, but it would be messy!). I've read that some people have had success with getting their cats to eat more slowly by doing that.

Good idea but, it would not work for Keto.

He's like a vacuum Cleaner !!

He'd just snarf it all up anyway.

Yay! I get to pick up my kitty tonight! The vet wanted to keep him another night just to monitor him but said he is absolutely petrified so she thinks he would be more comfortable at home but we have to watch him all weekend long and give her updates. She is putting him on a special diet just like you guys said. He seems to be doing better but is too stressed from being out of his home to eat and she is hoping if he comes home and relaxes he will start eating and hopefully urinating normally again. I'm crossing my fingers there are no further complications and I can't wait to see him!

Glad he's ok. Yes watch him very closely in the litterbox. Hopefully he will do well on a new diet. :hug:

Yay! I get to pick up my kitty tonight! The vet wanted to keep him another night just to monitor him but said he is absolutely petrified so she thinks he would be more comfortable at home but we have to watch him all weekend long and give her updates. She is putting him on a special diet just like you guys said. He seems to be doing better but is too stressed from being out of his home to eat and she is hoping if he comes home and relaxes he will start eating and hopefully urinating normally again. I'm crossing my fingers there are no further complications and I can't wait to see him!

Great news! We had a cat once that wouldn't eat or got to the bathroom while at the vet. He was so frightened he just stayed jammed in the corner of the cage. Poor kitty. :( They were worried that he wasn't eating for them, but when he got home he used his litterbox and ate like a champ. So I hope your guy does just as well. :)

My parents' kitten Cleo, who is ridiculously cute and snuggly. She barely makes any noise - a few little squeaks here or there, but hardly any meowing. She also doesn't really purr, which is super weird.

She's had a runny nose and snuffles since they brought her home. They've taken her to the vet multiple times since they've had her, and she's been on meds, but nada. They've kind of shrugged and said "Well, you've got a sniffly cat." It has gotten better since I was home at Christmas, so maybe it'll eventually clear up.

054.jpg

028.jpg

My parents' kitten Cleo, who is ridiculously cute and snuggly. She barely makes any noise - a few little squeaks here or there, but hardly any meowing. She also doesn't really purr, which is super weird.

She's had a runny nose and snuffles since they brought her home. They've taken her to the vet multiple times since they've had her, and she's been on meds, but nada. They've kind of shrugged and said "Well, you've got a sniffly cat." It has gotten better since I was home at Christmas, so maybe it'll eventually clear up.

054.jpg

028.jpg

OMG.. that is the cutest kitteh ever! I love those pics cori!!!!!:cute:

Cleo is so pretty, Cori!!

Further evidence that my guys think they're people - we had a dinner party a week ago. One of the guests got a big, wide brimmed coffee mug out and filled it with water and then set it down. A while later, I was a little horrified to catch one of my cats (Max) drinking her water (we use reusable water bottles with lids around the house, so we've never had to protect our drinks from cats). I took the mug away and set it on the kitchen table. Later in the evening when I was cleaning up, I saw Stripey up on the table drinking from it. Since then, I fill it several times a day and keep it at the edge of the table. Now when I fill it, about 4 or 5 of them run out and take turns drinking. They drink from the mug more than their water dishes, now. :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom