For Cat Lovers Only X - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
VP -- The kittens are soooo adorable! They look wonderful -- well fed and very happy. I love how their personalities are so apparent even from a very young age.

Everyone's cats are so cute! I just love all the pics, even if I don't comment on them all the time.

:love: VP the kittens are just so damn cute!

:shifty: *gets plane ticket to canada*

:sigh: I wish! :lol: but I don't think my cat would appreciate a kitten! she was never very fond of the one we used to have until she got run over by a car..

Awww they are so cute. Can't wait till mine get a little older. I've got to get them in another place. Bela has them hidden in between the mattress's I have leaning up againist the wall. There was just enought room for her to get in there and be able to move around and have the kittens.
I've made her a bed and put the kittens in it with food and water nearby, but she took them out and put them between the mattress again. I suspect it's because she feels safer - with Lovey lurking around and trying to get in the room everytime I go in. I've started to lock Lovey in my bedroom when I'm in with Bela just to make sure Lovey doesn't get past me - she is so quick.
Susan with ARF called last night and was able to get an appointment set up for Bela to be spayed next Tuesday. :lol:
I laughed and told her Bela had 3 kittens the day before.
It was just destined for Bela to have these kittens, I guess.
I'm getting Lovey spayed instead.
Yay.. one down (almost) and 4 to go. :yes:

Sue :hug: The mattresses dont sound that bad as long as she has enough room to get in there and nurse them, and as long as there isnt a chance of them falling and squishing them! Maybe you can move them in a way so that there is more room there :yes:

Worf has a hyperthyroid condition. Does anyone have a cat with this?

They said they could:
a) do radio iodine treatment - which cures it, but costs over $1,000
b) surgery, remove the thyroid - but there are complications with an older cat and it seems no one does that surgery because they do the iodine thing
c) medication - two pills a day, but the medication might have complications with her blood, etc.

:(

kellyahern said:

They said they could:
b) surgery, remove the thyroid - but there are complications with an older cat and it seems no one does that surgery because they do the iodine thing
c) medication - two pills a day, but the medication might have complications with her blood, etc.

My cat Max has hyperthyroidism. He's on the medication and does pretty well. We do have to have regular blood tests to make sure the medication isn't causing other problems and is still controlling the hyperthyroidism, but he's done well with that too.
Max is terrible to pill and although I was able to give them to him in his food for the first year, he eventually got wise to that and had to be switched to a trans-dermal method to deliver the medication (ie, I get his medication compounded specially for him in a cream and rub it into a patch of skin. It works well for Max).

If you go the pill route check around various pharmacies for the best prices on the medication (it's usually Tapazole/methimazole) because the prices can vary a lot.

It's a treatable (and even curable) condition and your cat can live a long happy life. :)

My Loki is at the vet right now getting a whole battery of test run. He has horrible teeth and will be getting those worked on, and most likely out (they are that bad :sad: ) early next week (I hope), and then the whole senior cat workup (we're thinking he's at least 13 because he was pretty old when he came four years ago) checking his thyroid and kidney functions, etc. Poor little guy is so scared -- he's already made one dive under the cages there and is now getting a tranq. so they can continue to check him out. He'll be so happy to get home later today!

Sicy said:
Sue :hug: The mattresses dont sound that bad as long as she has enough room to get in there and nurse them, and as long as there isnt a chance of them falling and squishing them! Maybe you can move them in a way so that there is more room there :yes:

Already done and reinforced, they have a queen size heavy duty tee-pee.:wink:
I just can't get to the kittens unless I move one of the mattresses and it's a heavy sucker. Thats why I haven't hauled them off already, I need help getting them out.
My sis "promised" she will be over this weekend with the camera and we will get pics.

kellyahern said:

They said they could:

I'm so sorry Kelly... :hug: That hurts my heart.
Is Worf in any pain from this conditon? What's the prognosis if you decide not to do anything because of age?
Is that an option?
I guess I'm asking is the treatment going to be worst for Worf than the cure?

sue4u2 said:

I'm so sorry Kelly... :hug: That hurts my heart.
Is Worf in any pain from this conditon? What's the prognosis if you decide not to do anything because of age?
Is that an option?
I guess I'm asking is the treatment going to be worst for Worf than the cure?

The treatment -- at least the pills -- isn't that bad. I've been treating Max for three years for it and although sometimes he drives me crazy (he's very spazzy when he's untreated or when his medicine needs to be adjusted upwards), he's mostly a very happy cat. Without treatment he would have starved (it really revs up the metabolism) -- even with it he's lost a lot of weight.

Kelly I'm sorry about Worf. I have a thyroid condition too.. its really not a big deal. I take a pill every day. Worf will be fine :hug:

I hope Loki will be ok too :hug:

Kelly and Indra :hug:

I know it's a completely different species and condition, but my puppy was on twice-daily phenobarbital for 9 years, and had to have regular testing done to monitor the drug levels, etc. It turned out to be very manageable. I hope you find the same if that's what you opt to do, Kelly. :hug:

Last edited:
Kelly, I think Worf will do well with her pills--you can look forward to many more years together. :hug:

And VP, those kittens are just so adorable! Are you going to keep them all? :cute:

MsPurrl said:

And VP, those kittens are just so adorable! Are you going to keep them all? :cute:

I really, really, really want to. :scream:

I think I may impose unreasonable demands on potential new owners: "What?? You DON'T have a kitten wing composed of several rooms and a separate bathroom for the kitten?? NO KITTENS FOR YOU!!!!"

The last part said in a Soup Nazi voice, of course. :shifty:

Part of me hopes that as they become more mobile, they're difficult little hellions. That'll make it easier to let them go. :sigh:

Thanks guys :hug:. I was really upset, but you guys made me feel better.

I think I'm going to ask the vet if I can try the medication (hopefully the transdermal cream, that would be ideal) and see how Worf does on that. Depending on that, the iodine thing may be an option in a few months, but if the medication does the trick I'll probably keep her on that for now.

I could save up for the iodine thing if needed, but I read that the vet usually has to keep the cat at least 7 - 10 days because of the radioactivity (and Worf would hate that more than going in for blood tests).

VintagePunk said:
I think I may impose unreasonable demands on potential new owners: "What?? You DON'T have a kitten wing composed of several rooms and a separate bathroom for the kitten?? NO KITTENS FOR YOU!!!!"

:lol: :applaud:

:hug:s to everyone's kitties. I'm so becoming one of you :D

So Mr. Kitty is endlessly fascinated by the computer cursor. Earlier I was paying some bills online and he was sitting quietly on my lap, but he had his paws up on the desk and was watching it intently. Sooo cute :cute: I swear I didn't pose him like that :lol:
lapkittylikescomputer.jpg

kafrun said:
:hug:s to everyone's kitties. I'm so becoming one of you :D

So Mr. Kitty is endlessly fascinated by the computer cursor. Earlier I was paying some bills online and he was sitting quietly on my lap, but he had his paws up on the desk and was watching it intently. Sooo cute :cute: I swear I didn't pose him like that :lol:
lapkittylikescomputer.jpg

Lovey is jealous of my computer. She will jump up and walk across the keyboard, then, I swear she knew the cord near the wall was the internet connection, so she started playing with it. Then she started rambling around in one of the shelves underneath. She wants my attention all the time.. Untill she doesn't then it's "why are you bothering me". :lol:

Edited to say: this is nothing compared with her facination with the toilet flushing. That just mesmerizes her.. go figure. :shrug:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom