For Cat Lovers Only X - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aww, kitty kisses :cute: Thanks everyone.

Chester is home now, getting all settled in. He was very quiet on the ride over, just the occasional nose or paw sticking out from time to time. He's spent the past hour calmly investigating his new digs, while occasionally stopping to roll on his side, stretch, and get a belly rub - much like his pic :cute: Now he's off to find that damn laser pointer that was taunting him a few minutes ago :madwife:

He looks quite handsome in his little blue collar :D Will be taking pics soon.

That's great that he's settling in well. When I got Jack, he stayed under the couch for the first few days, only coming out to use the litterbox. I remember calling my parents and crying because I thought he didn't like me!

Fergus says, "Welcome, Chester." (This was taken in our kitchen; I don't know what is up with the background!)

FergusSmiling081307.jpg

That face :giggle: Thankyou, Fergus ;) Yes, he's settling in wonderfully, I'm pleasantly surprised. He seems to be finished investigating the place, so after a bit of a snuggle on the lap and giving me a few kisses, he's catching some Zzzz's on the floor :cute:

Here's my handsome boy:
kittycloseup.jpg

Lap time:
kittylap.jpg

Hand pillow:
kittyshnuggle.jpg

Wow he looks totally comfortable already! :ohmy:
I bet after being a stray he's just happy to be inside somewhere nice and comfy. What a cool cat :drool:

BonoIsMyMuse said:
You didn't talk to Fergus about catnip, did you? :tsk:

:wink:

Oh, Fergus knows all about the nip. :lol: It seems that catnip is more a "boy cat" thing than a "girl cat"--at least that has been our experience.

Kaf, your kitty is gorgeous! :love:

Thanks, I think he is :) Yep, he's settled right in. He's all "This is my place? This is my stuff? Cool. When do we eat around here? Oh, you're going to have a bubble bath and read? I'll just sit right here. Oh, it's sleepy time? I'll just lay next to you and purr. It's all good."

I think he's definitely happy to be inside and safe :)

kafrun said:
Thanks, I think he is :) Yep, he's settled right in. He's all "This is my place? This is my stuff? Cool. When do we eat around here? Oh, you're going to have a bubble bath and read? I'll just sit right here. Oh, it's sleepy time? I'll just lay next to you and purr. It's all good."

I think he's definitely happy to be inside and safe :)

Awww! You two seem very happy together. :)

Hey VP... how long did it take your cat to have all her kittens?

I'm now the proud "other" mommie of 3 baby kittens and 2 adult cats. haha. It all started with me saying I wanted a kitten. :wink:
Bela started having her kittens sometime between the time I was here at lunch and 4:45PM.
They are so cute. One is gray with white spots and paws. There is a solid white kitten (I've seen the daddy around here) and the other is dark gray with white on it's feet.
I'm not sure when she started having them but she is still breathing rapidly and maybe even having contractions. She seems ok however - and the kitties are just eating away.
The gray and white spotted kitten seemed to have been pushed to the outside so I picked him/her up and placed it where it could get some milk.
She hasn't had anymore in the last 2 hours almost.
From what I've read it could take a few hours. But, like I said I don't know when it began.
She wouldn't come out at noon, but I thought it was because Lovey was meowing outside the bedroom door. She wasn't lying down at the time just looking out from her hiding place.
Guess I'll know soon if no other kittens pop out.

Wow! Kittens all over the place! Oh the kittens sound adorable! I love grey kitties...well, to be honest I have yet to meet a cat I didn't like (even when they didn't like me :uhoh: ). Three would be a good litter size. :)

sue4u2 said:
Hey VP... how long did it take your cat to have all her kittens?

I'm now the proud "other" mommie of 3 baby kittens and 2 adult cats. haha. It all started with me saying I wanted a kitten. :wink:
Bela started having her kittens sometime between the time I was here at lunch and 4:45PM.
They are so cute. One is gray with white spots and paws. There is a solid white kitten (I've seen the daddy around here) and the other is dark gray with white on it's feet.
I'm not sure when she started having them but she is still breathing rapidly and maybe even having contractions. She seems ok however - and the kitties are just eating away.
The gray and white spotted kitten seemed to have been pushed to the outside so I picked him/her up and placed it where it could get some milk.
She hasn't had anymore in the last 2 hours almost.
From what I've read it could take a few hours. But, like I said I don't know when it began.
She wouldn't come out at noon, but I thought it was because Lovey was meowing outside the bedroom door. She wasn't lying down at the time just looking out from her hiding place.
Guess I'll know soon if no other kittens pop out.

Awwww, more kittens!!! It's my kittens' 2 week birthday today. :)

I think my cat had them pretty rapidly. When I first checked there were three, and then I think she had the other three within an hour or so?

As for the heavy breathing, I'm not sure what that would be. Mine seemed to have them very effortlessly - she was lying there calmly with one halfway out of her, at one point. There are tons of great websites with lots of information, though. Here's one I read that pertains directly to your question:

There is often a 10 to 60 minute delay between births, although longer periods of time are not uncommon. If there is a delay of over four hours and you are sure there are remaining kittens, the queen should be examined by a veterinarian.

http://cats.about.com/cs/pregnancybirth/a/pregnancybirth_3.htm

Good luck, let us know how things are progressing, and if you have any other questions, being a "new mom," and having read a ridiculous amount in the past month about cat pregnancy/birth/kitten care, a lot of it is still fresh in my mind, so I'll help all I can. :)

LOL :lol: I know what you mean. I've been reading the last 2 months and this evening - when I'm not checking on the mommie.
I think 3 is it at this point. She looks relaxed but her expression is like WTF! how did this happen.
I put some dry food on a flat surface on the floor so she could eat without moving. One thing about Bela, she has always had a healthy appetite, no matter what. :wink:

Ooh, Cari, your babies are striped too :D Our kitties would make excellent roommates ;)

Here's a total n00b question for you guys:
Chester is a shedding machine. I brush him for ages and there are still grey tufts of fur coming off the brush. I just got a basic rubber brush. Any suggestions for what's best to use?

I have a feeling I'm going to be investing in a few big lint brushes :crazy:

omg Bela kittens!! You must get a hold of a digital camera. I hope she and the babies are doing well :hug:

cruzila that is such a cute pic. :cute: Looks like they get along good.

kaf, I would recommend a slicker brush. Like this

mikki_universal_cat_slicker_brush.jpg

These things get so much hair off the cat, they're great. But kind of pokey so you dont want to use it on their face. And yes, I have a lint roller in every room of the house :lol:

Sicy said:
omg Bela kittens!! You must get a hold of a digital camera. I hope she and the babies are doing well :hug:

cruzila that is such a cute pic. :cute: Looks like they get along good.

kaf, I would recommend a slicker brush. Like this

mikki_universal_cat_slicker_brush.jpg

These things get so much hair off the cat, they're great. But kind of pokey so you dont want to use it on their face. And yes, I have a lint roller in every room of the house :lol:

I have 3 lint rollers. 2 inside and 1 in the car. But the type of brush you are talking about, I have also and Bela loves it on her face. Lovey doesn't.
I figure that one side of Bela's face doesn't get as much attention as the other.
But my mom's cats love to rub their face against it, as long as you just hold it for them so they can set the pressure.

and Bela is doing just fine. I boiled some chicken for her and she chowed down.
The kittens are mewing and one of them is trying to wander away. They are precious..

Last edited:
Kittums :cute: So irresistable. There were a few at the Humane Society that were hard to pass up.

I'll pick up one of those slicker brushes :up: Thanks for the suggestion. I'll be back with more n00b questions, I'm sure :D

kafrun said:
Kittums :cute: So irresistable. There were a few at the Humane Society that were hard to pass up.

It was nice of you to adopt an adult cat :up:

Sicy said:

I agree. That was a good thing you did, kafrun.

Whenever I visit our local shelter I tell the older cats it will be ok.

I wish I could adopt them all :(

Sicy said:

Agreed here too! We adopted Maurice full grown. He was so lovable from the moment we took him from the cage. It can be so rewarding to give an animal a new home that someone had to give up for whatever reasons. Keep a close eye on him tho if he gets outside! It took Maurice a few days until he got used to exactly which house was his when we brought him home. Even though we tried to keep him inside, it was a good thing he had our number on his collar because the first week I had 2 calls from complete strangers saying I think your cat is curled up asleep on my bed. Poor confused kitty.

bonocomet said:
Agreed here too! We adopted Maurice full grown. He was so lovable from the moment we took him from the cage. It can be so rewarding to give an animal a new home that someone had to give up for whatever reasons. Keep a close eye on him tho if he gets outside! It took Maurice a few days until he got used to exactly which house was his when we brought him home. Even though we tried to keep him inside, it was a good thing he had our number on his collar because the first week I had 2 calls from complete strangers saying I think your cat is curled up asleep on my bed. Poor confused kitty.

Both of my cats came from shelters. Zoey was almost a year old when I got her, pretty much full grown and Saki was just a baby. I never had a small kitten so I wanted to experience that at least once in my life. It can be hard to pass up the cute little kittens, but honestly if you live alone and work all day, that kitten will most likely destroy your house :lol: or get into all sorts of trouble. I think I kept him in the bathroom for like a week while I was at work. I was so nervous. And yeah, mine absolutely do not go outside. They belong inside. I've already lost a few feral cats to cars and such. There is no way I would ever let my cats outside, and they really could care less.

The kittens grow so fast and you never know how they will turn out. I like adults (especially dogs) because you can get a clear indication of their temperament. Both Beckham and Posh really changed from kitten-hood to adulthood, not that I love them any less, but they are totally different cats now.

I got Beckham at 15 weeks. He was the only one left and the place I got him from usually only has kittens, so it was him or nothing. I got Posh because Beckham seemed so lonely, so I went to PetSmart and talked to the ladies from the animal rescue and they helped me pick out Posh. She was just barely 8 weeks old. They seemed to think a female kitten would be the best for Beckham as far as adjustment. Marijke was also a kitten. We looked at a few of the adults, but one had a possible adopter and the other was supposed to be an only cat, so again we were limited to kittens. I think she was 12 weeks when we got her.

Both of my dogs were adopted as adults (Kenya almost 4 years and Coke 1.5 years old). As much as I love dogs I really have no desire to ever have to deal with an 8 week old puppy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom