Finally we have an album: SONGS OF INNOCENCE!! DISCUSSION THREAD ONLY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, ho-ly crap: IMHO, it's the band's freshest work in years! I'm not much for the "which-album-is-better" thing because I love them all, and they each have unique personalities and special moments, but on a first listen, "Songs..." really grabbed me, certainly much more than the last 3. Even if not a complete sonic reinvention ala Achtung Baby, it more than makes up for it with energy and bravado--all the more impressive when considering the guys are in their mid-50s! Great hooks and melodies and top-notch playing from everyone. Bono sings with vigor and delivers some powerful lyrics. "Iris (Hold Me Close)" literally made me tear up (not a good thing while speeding down the LA freeways). Here I was expecting a somber, slow-tempo number... Can't wait for the tour :hyper:

Listening to this album is almost a bit overwhelming. So many good moments, so many good songs.

The "Santa Barbara" opening to California is simply gorgeous. Think I could listen to 4 minutes of just that! Song for Someone blows every 2000's ballad they've done out of the water. Not even any close competitors. Sorry Moment of Surrender lovers. And the chorus on Volcano?! Are you kidding me?? We haven't heard anything like that from U2 in a very long time. The Chorus on The Troubles? Umm yeah, that's pure genius. Raised by Wolves is cool as hell. The Miracle and Every Breaking Wave shoot the album out of the gates, and there isn't any stopping it.

The long wait was well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Radiohead sucks anyways

I wouldn't say they suck, because they don't, but some of their fans are easily the most douchebaggery boneheads you can find.

The only weakness of Radiohead is that they can't seem to make uplifting inspirational music.

Famous INFPs - CelebrityTypes.com

Yorke: "The difference between me and Bono is that he's quite happy to go and flatter people to get what he wants and he's very good at it, but I just can't do it. ... In a way it would help if I could, but I just can't. I admire the fact that Bono can, and can walk away from it smelling of roses."

Famous ENFJs - CelebrityTypes.com

Paul Du Noyer: "[He is] charm itself. ... He greets you with a warmth you could dry damp clothes against."

One big question: How will Bono will hold on singing this stuff live?

Modestly I say some songs will suffer live...

Lastly, it's been a rough month, my Mom was diagnosed with cancer, and this album came at just the right time. I teared up at Song for Someone which hadn't happened since Kite, released as my dad fought leukemia. I love this band.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Oh honey. *hugs*

I agree on the timing though. We've had a horrid summer full of legal troubles over a landlord refusing to make obligated repairs...and ended up having to make an emergency relocation last week into a place that wasnt expected to be ready until mid-Sept. So in the middle of utter chaos, this band...is here. No money for an album because I'm keeping a roof over my kids' heads? S'ok, have it for free, totally legally. Bday next month and no celebration in sight? No worries, there's going to be a physical album and maybe more.

You wonder why I love this band. Because they are always there for me, even when I don't see it. Thanks, lads. For being there for ALL of us in our times of need.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

Moment of Surrender is not a ballad.

I'm going to try to forget you said this.

I think most refer to it as a ballad, including Rolling Stone in their 2009 review of the album.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

One big question: How will Bono will hold on singing this stuff live?

Modestly I say some songs will suffer live...

That's always been true. The most successful transitions are when they can come up with different arrangements that work and in some cases are better than the CD. Others will just suffer and some may not be played at all.

True, they don't suck, I just find them boring and un-inspirational. I find them highly over-rated... IMO.

But to each their own, eh.

Just like Nirvana and The Doors they are highly over-rated. Emphasis on the highly...

U2, at the other hand is not appreciated enough by people in general :wink:

I really like this album a lot, but Moment Of Surrender is still one for the ages. I'm not sure SOI has anything that majestic.

I don't think it's supposed to. This is like an awesome post-punk album. As much as I like The Suburbs by Arcade Fire I think this album is more honest and less pretentious.

For everyone having troubles downloading (as I did) here are a few things you may want to try.

1. Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes.
2. Click -> iTunes -> Preferences
3. Click -> Store
4. Make sure 'Show iTunes in the Cloud purchases' is checked.

You should be able to see the album in the album or artist section after that.

Sorry if this was already posted.

The replies on youtube are about what I expected them to be - some people were probably excited this came out today just so that they could trash U2, sadly I think its all some people live for.

I expected that when they sent that album out to everyone. Pretty balzzy IMO considering how many people hate them.

I would be pissed if I woke up with Justin B's new album on my ITunes.

The replies on youtube are about what I expected them to be - some people were probably excited this came out today just so that they could trash U2, sadly I think its all some people live for.

Um...Jesus Christ could post a cure for cancer on youtube and the comments would still be nothing but depraved. Never read comments on youtube...ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom