Finally we have an album: SONGS OF INNOCENCE!! DISCUSSION THREAD ONLY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Album is now in my Google Play Music library and pinned on my One M8, I am really good to go now to play it a zillion times. :D

Ah, "The Troubles" was a beach clip a few weeks (the one we thought was "Song for Someone" with a female singer).

Actually, the production and cohesiveness of this album reminds me of Achtung Baby's production. Each song was different, but you could tell they were from that album.

we all tend to compare every album to AB we all wish something like AB again.:applaud:

we all tend to compare every album to AB we all wish something like AB again.:applaud:

Well, depending what is left in their vaults and leftover from the past 3 years of recording this is as close as we will get to an album as good as AB in terms of production and lyrics.

Fuck me, this is amazing, what an album. Not a single bland song. Nothing necessarily stands out (yet), but I think it's because they're all so damn good. I know it's cliche, but it's so good to have music that touches the soul again, so much better than any of the vapid crap in the top 40 these days.

Hi everyone, my first post :)

The album overall is good and all the songs are good. That is the problem, the songs are just good and some very good.

There are no stand out tracks.
When I first heard no line on the horizon magnificent and unknown caller affected me and touched me emotionally.
There is no such track on this album. Maybe I need to hear it many times for it to sink in.

Maybe it is just my expectation. I kind expected a beautiful day, city of blinding lights soaring anthem which takes you to another place entirely.
However considering this album has been 5 years in the making maybe it was not too much to ask.

The Miracle: Here we go again with ohhhh ahhhhh ohhhs. Chords are different/experimental here. Not sure if it works on first listen but I’m compelled to listen to this one more.

Every Breaking Wave: Instant U2 classic. Probably the best that ears have heard in a LONG time. Best song on the album by far.

California: What a great song! The only complaint I have with it is that it seems like Bono is trying to cram in too many words.

Song for Someone: U2 trying to capture some the success that they had with One and WOWY. Not at that level. But it still a very moving song. I need a few more listens to see if I love it.

Iris: Interesting intro. Very coldplay esque. Happy to hear some delay guitar work from Edge. Not sure of the song structure. What’s the chorus, what’s the pre-chorus? It sounds like two pre-choruses. This song is very good and will take a few listens to understand the chord progressions and segmentation.

Volcano: I like this song. Different, that’s for sure. Very catchy chorus.

Raised by Wolves: Wow, what amazing pre-chorus vocals by Bono: “I don’t believe anymore”.

Cedarwood Road: Love the initial intro chord progression. Distortion guitar kicks in, and I’m excited. Chorus: A bit of a let-down to be honest. I had higher hopes for the song after hearing the intro but they lost me. Maybe after a few more listens!

Sleep like a baby tonight: Now here is a song that seems to be structured very nicely. I love it. Has a groovy jazz type feel but 80s electronica feel combo. Minimalist.

This is where you can reach me: U2 getting experimental with minor/major chords here. Seems to work really well. Not sure if everyone will appreciate this song but I’m liking it.

The Troubles: Who is the female voice?? This started to song sound too close to “This is where you can reach me”. Bang, then the chorus hits you and I fell in love with the song (regardless of who the female singer is). One of the best pre-choruses on the album. I don’t want this song to end.

Overall, the album is very strong and can’t wait to listen through again. Very different vocal effects for Bono than I’m used to so it will take some getting used to. Only complaint I have is that the vocals seem overprocessed and too wordy. Let Edge play alone a bit more.

Right,small problem. Every track downloaded ok apart from the miracle (of joey ramone). How do I re download it?

Sent from my GT-P3110 using U2 Interference mobile app

Songs that struck me as immediate big ballad classic U2 songs:
Every Breaking Wave, Iris, Song for Someone, Cedarwood Road, The Troubles

Songs that struck me as instant U2 rock songs:
The Miracle, California, Volcano, Raised By Wolves

Songs that struck me as immediate U2 exploratory songs:

Sleep Like A Baby

For me this album is pretty immediate. In the sense that it's been a long time, a real long time that a U2 album has hit me upon initial listen and not let me down upon repeat listens.

Well, depending what is left in their vaults and leftover from the past 3 years of recording this is as close as we will get to an album as good as AB in terms of production and lyrics.

Well said :up:

After second listen to, without the "HOLY FUCK THIS REALLY JUST HAPPENED" hyperbole, this is a great album, Raised By Wolves, EBW, Song For Someone, Iris, Cederwood , Volcano, Sleep Like a Baby - these songs stand out to me.

Some songs won't become classics until months or even years from now, the people saying no classics need to be patient and the people saying it's the best album since whenever just let it settle in.

HOWEVER i love it :)

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

wow... this stuff is way too personal. Man, some of the lyrics are so intense. Bloody amazing!
Now I understand why they want arenas. They'll work better there.
There's some really fantastic work going on in those songs. Specially Adam and Bono. And I'm glad to hear Edge not being afraid of using and abusing some guitar effects.

For me, still stunned by the free gift, I must say stellar effort. Bravo, bravissimo! :applaud:

Is there a way to download on an Android device? U know....since its free....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

GIVING THE RECORD A RINSE RIGHT NOW...... oh my word...

I will say... 3 songs in... I hear the Dangermouse touch.....

All i can say right now is WOW! :drool:
Every songs are great! Very spontaneous! Edge is back!! The band really enjoyed itself on this one you can hear it!
What a surprise!!

I always liked Every Breaking Wave but I am happy to hear a studio version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom