eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour 2018 - Rumors & General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And do you have to pretend to enjoy the song "Elevation"?
bono-ebola-psa-2014-billboard-650.jpg

There's really not time to do Australia at the end of 2018. 2019 it must be.

I would think there should be a 2nd Atlanta show, considering the 1st one pretty much sold out a couple months ago.

I would be surprised if they didn't tour Asia this time. They haven't done that region since Vertigo 2006, right? Anyway, I expect a big international expansion after North American / Europe 2018.

Speaking of North America / Europe, I'm worried they won't get good press for reusing the 2015 stage. Yeah, I know it's the completion of a thematic cycle, but I imagine most will just see it as recycling a stage from 3 years ago.

Isn't it just an adapted JT87 stage?

According to the book U2 Show, U2 have used the same basic arena stage for JT, LT, Zoo, Elevation and IE/EI. Obviously decorated much differently, but the main stage where the band stands is the same now as it was in 1987.

Vertigo in arenas did not use this stage.

I would be surprised if they didn't tour Asia this time. They haven't done that region since Vertigo 2006, right? Anyway, I expect a big international expansion after North American / Europe 2018.

Speaking of North America / Europe, I'm worried they won't get good press for reusing the 2015 stage. Yeah, I know it's the completion of a thematic cycle, but I imagine most will just see it as recycling a stage from 3 years ago.
Well... apparently the screen uses the same technology as the JT30 screen. Don't know if it'll make that much of a difference.

The Vertigo stage setup was more or less the same as Elevation, but with Christmas lights. Don't think anyone complained.

Well... apparently the screen uses the same technology as the JT30 screen. Don't know if it'll make that much of a difference.

The Vertigo stage setup was more or less the same as Elevation, but with Christmas lights. Don't think anyone complained.

Has this been printed anywhere? I’m trying to understand how they would still make it transparent.

Has this been printed anywhere? I’m trying to understand how they would still make it transparent.

It was I just can't remember where.

The video screen on JT was over a gray and gold backdrop... So clearly the technology they are using is pretty advanced

I don't recall seeing anything that specifically said it was the same technology as the JT30 screen, but the press for the new tour says this:

Staged in the round, the eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour is a development of the unique and innovative staging of 2015, featuring multiple performance areas, a state-of-the-art sound system, plus an all new super high-res LED screen nine-times the resolution of the 2015 screen.

So higher resolution than 2015, but not necessarily the same tech as JT30. Could simply mean that the 'bars' on the cage have nine times as many LEDs (so the resolution on each bar is higher), but there's still enough space between the bars for it to work as before. Or maybe it won't be transparent at all. The screen is described as "all new", so maybe they have something different in mind this time out.

I wouldn't be surprised if they ditched the idea of playing while up inside the screen. It was a novel idea, but not exactly a crowd pleaser.

It's also interesting that they mention 'in the round'. If the stage setup is the same as on I+E (and it looks to be the same based on the TM layouts) then calling it 'in the round' is pretty misleading. The only round section is the B Stage.

And as we probably already discussed earlier in this thread, they barely acknowledge the crowd behind the main stage. So definitely not in the round. A band that has a true in the round setup is Metallica, or Muse on their Drones tour.

Still think we'll see some sort of Pop/Popmart graphics/designs on the screen. They really could do something neat with Discotheque

I wouldn't be surprised if they ditched the idea of playing while up inside the screen. It was a novel idea, but not exactly a crowd pleaser.

It's also interesting that they mention 'in the round'. If the stage setup is the same as on I+E (and it looks to be the same based on the TM layouts) then calling it 'in the round' is pretty misleading. The only round section is the B Stage.

‘In the round’ means they sell to the whole arena(minus blind spots), has nothing to do with a round stage. But I get how that’s difficult :therethere:

I'm pretty sure the average person hears "in the round" and reads it as the band playing to all corners of the area, not selling all corners, and that one side of the stage is (in a broad sense) as good as any other. But sure, whatever.

Ehhh. Traditional "in the round" staging was a center stage... which they really should do next outing, anyway. They got close on 360 in Miami solely due to the configuration limitations within the stadium.
u2360_mia_pano.jpg

i+e/e+i is in the round in that the stage runs through the center and seating is all around.
DSC00284.jpg

I'm pretty sure the average person hears "in the round" and reads it as the band playing to all corners of the area, not selling all corners, and that one side of the stage is (in a broad sense) as good as any other. But sure, whatever.

exactly. it's also about clear sight-lines to a stage centered to all areas of the audience. not too hard to understand.

Pretty sure the average person hears "in the round" and doesn't have any clue what you're talking about.

The average music fan likely sees a round stage in the middle of the hall.

The average U2 fan hears 'in the round' and thinks of bono's weight amirite

Oxford Dictionaries:
in the round (phrase of round)

1. (of sculpture) standing free with all sides shown, rather than carved in relief against a ground.
- 1.1. Fully and thoroughly; with all aspects shown.
2. (of a theatrical performance) with the audience placed on at least three sides of the stage.

U2 place, the italian site, says it seems the band had been rehearsing War and Pop songs (in light of the remasters/anniversaries), however they aren't specific how many and which songs.

Last edited:
U2 place, the italian site, says it seems the band had been rehearsing War and Pop songs (in light of the remasters/anniversaries), however they aren't specific how many and which songs.

Exciting news

Can't wait for this to be 2005 over again and they soundcheck Mofo for two months but never play it.

Back
Top Bottom