eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour 2018 - Rumors & General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In all fairness, one of the challenges with Europe is arena size; there just aren't that many arenas in Europe that are 16,000+
Somebody above mentioned Glasgow; that arena holds about 12,000; that's just too small for the band at this point.
I was surprised that they didn't play more JT stadium shows, especially with the demand, but I do understand why they are limited as to the arenas they can play with this set up

There are 25 arenas in Europe with a capacity over 16000.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_indoor_arenas_in_Europe

Also like mentioned the US has tons of big Ice hockey arenas that are modern, even in smaller cities. And they have huge NFL and College stadiums in every state basically. Europe usually have stadiums that are older in age as well even if they are big, many of them are from the 50' - 70's. We have very few Wembley caliber stadiums in Europe where they got alot of new NFL stadiums in the billion dollar category.

13 of the 16000+ stadia in Europe were opened since 2000 ,most of the rest are pretty modern too so I dont think that argument is correct nowadays.
The arenas in Europe actually have a much bigger floor area too as most of the US venues are basketball layouts .

The more likely reason I can think of U2 preferring the US is that Livenation the U2 promoter own alot of the venues in the US so they can get a bigger cut of the profits .

So really and truly ending US leg with a single night in NJ or are we still waiting on a last minute post-Grammy "final US dates" thing?

So really and truly ending US leg with a single night in NJ or are we still waiting on a last minute post-Grammy "final US dates" thing?

I'm still guessing a 2nd show will be added in Atlanta and Newark. It's possible they'll add them after the Grammys performance for a nice little bump in sales and promotion.

Somebody also posted a rumor that Glasgow would have shows on November 5-6. But they didn't say anything about Glasgow in this recent announcement, so I'd say probably not.

I'm guessing Australia/NZ and Japan in NOV/DEC? Doesn't seem like much time.

I'm still guessing a 2nd show will be added in Atlanta and Newark. It's possible they'll add them after the Grammys performance for a nice little bump in sales and promotion.

Has there been any further rumor or confirmation of the Grammy performance? I only heard about Adam's since-deleted tweet...

Wow that's a fucking safe itinerary. The only remarkable thing is that they haven't been to Hamburg since 1985. Every other city on the itinerary has been played no longer ago than Vertigo, and most more recently.

More proof that U2 underplay Europe hideously. It's like they think the Iron Curtain has not fallen, or something.

And if there are any more North American cities added, that will be further insult. They can play fucking Tulsa but not major cities like Warsaw, Vienna, Athens, etc.?

Surely they will at least add something in Dublin. And I can't believe no Scotland or Wales either.

All I can say is FINALLY Hamburg!!! Will be nice seeing them on my home turf...assuming I get a tickt, that is :)

https://www.newsday.com/entertainment/music/music-preview-2018-1.15612056

Not exactly a confirmation of an appearance at the Grammy's, but in the ball park.

I honestly don't see the connection. These are just two of the ten(!) things this writer is talking about happening in 2018 - the Grammy's, and U2's upcoming tour:

GRAMMYS Music’s biggest night returns to New York on Jan. 28 for the first time in 15 years, ready to celebrate its 60th anniversary with a string of high-profile parties, including honoring Jay-Z as an industry icon and Alicia Keys and Swizz Beatz as artists. But the suspense will still center on whether a hip-hop album from Kendrick Lamar or Jay-Z will manage to land the album of the year Grammy.

U2 Somehow U2 has always managed to turn even meh albums like “Songs of Innocence” into stunning tours. Now that Bono and friends have a stunning album like “Songs of Experience” to draw from, their upcoming arena tour — which includes a Nassau Coliseum stop on June 9 — should be nothing short of amazing.​

Hoping they play Dublin Oct 27-28 and Belfast Oct 31-Nov 1

I'd expect Dublin to get at least 4 nights ,anything less and there will be riots especially after the Irish got shafted last summer with 1 concert.

eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour 2018 - Rumors & General Discussion

Done Dublin twice , I'm gonna do Belfast. New city that I've never been to and the smallest arena on the gig( I think)

Gonna kill me not using my code Thursday for London or Manchester though. Gonna try for them in the general sale

Someone needs to tell u2songs that Belfast is in the uk [emoji23][emoji23]

I honestly don't see the connection. These are just two of the ten(!) things this writer is talking about happening in 2018 - the Grammy's, and U2's upcoming tour:

GRAMMYS Music’s biggest night returns to New York on Jan. 28 for the first time in 15 years, ready to celebrate its 60th anniversary with a string of high-profile parties, including honoring Jay-Z as an industry icon and Alicia Keys and Swizz Beatz as artists. But the suspense will still center on whether a hip-hop album from Kendrick Lamar or Jay-Z will manage to land the album of the year Grammy.

U2 Somehow U2 has always managed to turn even meh albums like “Songs of Innocence” into stunning tours. Now that Bono and friends have a stunning album like “Songs of Experience” to draw from, their upcoming arena tour — which includes a Nassau Coliseum stop on June 9 — should be nothing short of amazing.​

Poor SOI... due to the nature of it's release and the backlash it received, it will always be a whipping boy in U2's catalog. I actually listened to it the other day for the first time in awhile... I love it still! I connected with it in a way I didn't with HTDAAB and especially NLOTH. SOE is great, but it still doesn't hit the mark for me as well as SOI did.

I feel like U2 at the Grammy's has been known since before Adam posted on instagram. But now I really can't find anything else about it. (shrugs) Maybe they won't play... and the world will be spared from a shoe-horned performance by a band that isn't nominated for any awards.

Shocking that they are not playing scotland,another trip down south for me.

Just joining this thread.. I agree. I'm gutted that they aren't coming to Wales but in fairness we don't (yet) have a big enough venue for this production but you do in Glasgow don't you?

I know it's always worked this way but I've got 2 mates, both school teachers who could never make a Tuesday gig in London. I assume that they will add weekend gigs in Manchester or London but it's a pain in the arse trying to second guess the 'additional shows' that may or may not be added.

I don't want to whine, we are lucky to have our band on tour but it's really difficult to plan anything, particulalry when even as loyal and Propaganda -old fans try to get a few tickets sell out in minutes during pre-sale.

I'll carry on reading - I'm only on page 30 something of this thread :)

Last edited:
12 concerts last summer for Europe was criminal ,they played almost 30 in the US.
Europe has always been good to them unlike the US which almost broke them for Popmart.

Whats the obsession with the US ,is it the simple fact they can charge more per ticket and the Americans buy more of the junk VIP seats ??

They are only playing big markets on the tour in Europe ,big cities with alot of wealth .
They probably want to play cities where they are guaranteed to be able to sell out at least two nights so they choose the least risky cities.

It wasn't a major tour we got 12 gigs in Europe I think lucky us... they had a new record on the boil and true to their word a new tour this year. The JT tour could have gone on for infinity and every country wants a slice but it wouldn't have made sense. The US deserved all those gigs given the context of the tour.

Depends on what side of the divide you're on.

There's no ifs or buts , Belfast is in Northern Ireland which makes up part of the United Kingdom. Along with wales Scotland and England. Or what I like to call it Great Britain [emoji5]even though there's nothing great about living here [emoji3]

I honestly don't see the connection.

There isn't any.

That was my attempt at tongue-in-cheek humor.

"in the ball park" = U2 mentioned right under the Grammy's.

Anywho . . . .

I couldn't find anything about U2 performing at the Grammy's -- doesn't mean it isn't going to happen, just nothing yet.

It would be quite a snub if they were preempted by other acts and not invited.

Is there a thread about the today-announced U2 European tour, pre-sale, tickets, excitement, anxiety, questions etc?

There isn't any.

That was my attempt at tongue-in-cheek humor.

"in the ball park" = U2 mentioned right under the Grammy's.

Anywho . . . .

I couldn't find anything about U2 performing at the Grammy's -- doesn't mean it isn't going to happen, just nothing yet.

It would be quite a snub if they were preempted by other acts and not invited.

I often find myself cringing when the band do these big events... they just don't do themselves any favors these days when appearing in highly visible public venues, other than in front of their own audience. between the megaphones and other antics, maybe it's best they leave these award shows, nightly talk shows and SNL etc to others and just focus on their tour.

Back
Top Bottom