Every Breaking Wave - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And the album campaign was more or less ridiculed by most of western civilization.

You're batting a thousand today

I'm guessing that LU is talking about the live presentations in Europe which not only nobody ridiculed, but were generally praised.

I don't get the recent negativity on topics regarding SOI that had already been discussed and brushed off... the album promotion was clearly starting to take off before the accident.

(On the other hand, I got no defense for invisible)

(On the other hand, I got no defense for invisible)

Invisible tells us everything we need to know.

The best U2 song of the last five years...aided by a TV ad that got it in front of 100 million people at once...and basically nothing came of it. The general audience is simply not interested in 'new U2'. This is nothing unique or novel. It just means that U2 is like 100% of every other artist in the history of popular music. But someone let me know when they finally realize it.

For this new version... I dunno. Maybe I've always liked the concept of this song than it's actual execution? I DO like the album version, but feel that it's maybe a little understated, whereas this new mix is a bit overstated.

Someone wrote putting the two mixes together, and I'm not sure of that either. How 'bout making it (more) akin to With or Without You where they start understated but then lead up to the big orgasm at the end?

U2 are in their 50's - It actually was quite the miracle when Beautiful Day and especially Vertigo were hits in their 40s.

They'll want their money back if you are alive at 33 is a very true statement when it comes to pop music.

Relevance shouldn't be measured by hits anyways in my opinion but whatever.

I like this new mix and this is the only song on the album that has a chance of getting any substantial radio play, if that's what they want. Radio is sort of a dead format as well.

U2 are in their 50's - It actually was quite the miracle when Beautiful Day and especially Vertigo were hits in their 40s.

They'll want their money back if you are alive at 33 is a very true statement when it comes to pop music.

Relevance shouldn't be measured by hits anyways in my opinion but whatever.

I like this new mix and this is the only song on the album that has a chance of getting any substantial radio play, if that's what they want. Radio is sort of a dead format as well.

Thank you!

Do you think anyone in the U2 camp has ever had that talk with them? No, not the sex talk. The "maybe you need to accept the fact that you're dinosaurs" talk.

I'm pretty sure they've had to have that realistic discussion with money bags o$eary. Especially when it comes to marketing strategies it just seems like something they had to ideally deal with.

Do you think anyone in the U2 camp has ever had that talk with them? No, not the sex talk. The "maybe you need to accept the fact that you're dinosaurs" talk.

Maybe you should have that talk with them, and Bono could have the talk with you about your fear of joy.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Good version of the song. But I agree that a blend of the album recording and this would be about right.

Clearly the only solution would be that they released two or three versions of all the tracks (vocals, guitar, drums, bass, etc...) -and preferably of all the songs- so everybody could make their own version.

Songs of Ikea.

Surprised no one thinks new EBW is just better. Does anyone know who produced this? Sounds more like something Lanois might have done to it, or Gaffney doing a Lanois impression plus strings.

I have no idea whether U2 can get a single through at this point, but my inclination is to say this would have had a shot, had it been ready to go when the album dropped. It just fits in with today's pop music better -- more focus on the vocal a la Adele/Sam Smith/John Legend; gets more of its sonic interest from atmosphere vs drums/bass. None of that 'do you remember WOWY?' bass rumble, nor the plugged-in guitar response on the chorus.

And it has to be said that Bono's vocal performance here is amazing. Ordinary Love was the only U2 4.0 song of this last cycle to really highlight his vocal, and that got legitimate social media buzz on the Tonight Show (the only legit social media buzz of 4.0, minus the largely negative buzz around the release). They have to play to their strengths these days more than ever, and that man's voice, at over 50, is just incredibly strong and expressive. He can do everything a Smith or Legend (or Martin) can do range/delicacy-wise, but still sounds more human than any of the big names in pop these days.

Well, I'm pretty new here.... I've never understood this forum's love for EBW while largely having disdain for atyclb. This song sounds the most like that to me. I like the song. Probably one of my least favorites on this great album. this tune always sounded the least finished to me. The instrumentation sounds generic on the album , kind of plug and play , placeholder stuff that they never replaced . Songwriting wise it's of course really strong. But to me that's what makes it sound atyclb-ish...

The album campaign consisted of scores of folks complaining about getting the album forced into their itunes account, the band and said release strategy being the butt of jokes worldwide, Bono issuing an apology and Apple issuing a press release with instructions to delete the album from your library...thats all the real publicity the album release got.

While not as brilliant as wasting a 4 million dollar Super Bowl ad by doing zero follow up, a close second.

Yes. OR they could release it old school with Miracle and no one would care = zero publicity. Instead they were the biggest music story on the internets of 2014.

EBW and Graham Norton's SFS got the public talking but then the bike accident happened and pulled the brakes on SOI promotion. The audiences were getting into acoustic performances I mean lamest promo tour ever.

There was no follow up to Super Bowl ad because .... it was just that. A Super Bowl ad. Invisible wasn't a lead single.

Every Breaking Wave is a Someone Like You rewrite.

Every Breaking Wave is a Someone Like You rewrite.

I guess Bono is God if he can rewrite a song before someone else writes it.

Or perhaps Bono is Adele - you never see them together (see BandAid 30).

I guess Bono is God if he can rewrite a song before someone else writes it.

Or perhaps Bono is Adele - you never see them together (see BandAid 30).

I wouldn't be surprised. I can't picture Adele being very good at riding a bike.

. Instead they were the biggest music story on the internets of 2014.
For all the wrong reasons
EBW and Graham Norton's SFS got the public talking but then the bike accident happened and pulled the brakes on SOI promotion.

Those performances got folks here talking, made no real impact on the general public.

The bike accident (and to a lesser extent the suitcase full of sunglasses killing livestock in Germany)got 100x times the publicity any of the music did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom