Do you think Vertigo "has the DNA of the album" like Beautiful day had for ATYCLB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
Do you think Vertigo "has the DNA of the album" like Beautiful day had for ATYCLB?

Comparing the two first singles, how accurate you think they are of the album?

Beautiful day was optimistic (as almost all on ATYCLB, of course not "flowers and sunshine" optimistic, but more a mature "i've been there and came out stronger" kind of optimistic), it had some of classic Edge sound ("teach me" riff) while still having a unique sound (the verse melody from Edge) with synthesizers involved. Also Bono's voice showed its maturity too and featuring the ATYCLB rasp voice. The live version was one of the most popular from that album, with the "see the world in green and blue" part done with Edge's guitar alone and the added "the goal is soul" ending.

Vertigo sounds more organic, more bass (almost no synthesizers except maybe a bit in "all of this can be yours" part), the guitar is very present and at times quite heavy for a U2 song (especially the chorus, the short solo in the middle being the most "classic U2" moment of the whole song), the pace has definitely been picked up and Bono's voice sounds very clear, and obviously rested - he's hitting a lot of the high notes. (perhaps the most impressive being YOUR LOVE is teaching me how to kneel right at the end) The lyrics are less straightforward as BD, offering options for interpretations. Looks to be a big live song as well.

I think this all goes along with what Edge said about Electrical storm being a connecting point to this album - more guitars, less synthesizers and a reflection of the world's state.

Last edited:
do people really rate ATYCLB as a quality u2 lp? Also Beautiful Day?

i just thought BD and the album as a whole was a bit 'plastic'y...too much u2 being of a pop band

i think vertigo has far more rocky roots...just think that with the death of bono's dad and his work over these past few years is going to make this album a bit more 'real'...in a u2 sense

Personally I don't see Beautiful Day as representative of that album, i see BD as a high energy song exactly like what Vertigo is to me, a gateway to the album.

I think the album will follow in the footsteps of ATYCLB just not as 'quiet' as that album, every song will probably have more dynamics or life in them. It will hopefully be a more interesting album then the last one to me with more interesting lyrics that transport my mind to Venus or at least relationship stuff and not make me think about world affairs, I mean I have CNN for that.

Someone described it well in thread awhile back and said ATYCLB is an album like the band is playing in your living room, which is cool but I want an album where they take you on a voyage that goes into your brain (AB is the best example) something that makes me get lost in the songs) songs like Love is Blindness where i'm wondering what the heck happened to the charachter to be saying stuff like that and getting lost in Edges guitar, same can be said for Acrobat or Ultraviolet. I'm not saying I want songs exactly like that, but I want songs that suck me into a WORLD that the song creates and that's what the AB songs did well. I don't care for an album of different sounding singles.

I doubt there's gonna be a monster on that album like Streets or One (neither did ATYCLB) but there will be a Kite on there somewhere and and maybe a song as good as Ultraviolet (Axver :madspit: ) but honestly i think this album will have more in common with ATYCLB then any other album. I'm making these judgments based on the clips and the Vertigo clip was pretty much what the real song was and we know from interviews that LPOE is gonna be a bluesy Led Zep type song, Miracle Drug like a AB song :drool: ABOY i'm pretty sure i won't care for because the clip is pretty indicitive of it because it has the chorus in the clip and I don't really care for that chorus. Hey i could be wrong and there might be a song as powerful as Streets or One and i really hope for that.

Last edited:
I think this album, more than any album, will be U2. And by that I mean that this album will perfectly discribe U2's style. I believe that they are done experimenting and have found their groove. Vertigo will definitley be the DNA for the new record because it is definitive U2 music and this is a definitive U2 CD.

EvolutionMonkey said:
I doubt there's gonna be a monster on that album like Streets or One

I have four words for you:
City Of Blinding Lights
:yes:

Murray said:
I believe that they are done experimenting and have found their groove. Vertigo will definitley be the DNA for the new record because it is definitive U2 music and this is a definitive U2 CD.

I think you need to get a job as the new U2 PR man. :wink:

Simply put: YES! :wink:

And as someone who has followed U2 for over 23 years, I LOVE ATYCLB - it is as good as any other record that U2 has ever made because it reflected who U2 was at the time it was made.

And if you TRULY love and accept someone and their music, you treasure every song that they offer you. :up:

U2 has given us their hearts and their souls for over 25 years in their music and I will never criticize or belittle anything that they offer us musically.

It makes no sense - either love and accept someone the way they are or MOVE ON! :yes:

I guess negativity really grates my last nerve.

I LOVE YOU, U2, JUST THE WAY YOU ARE! :hug:

:adam: :larry: :edge: :bono: :love:

Michael Griffiths said:

But that's three words! I have eight words for you: 'Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own'

I have 2 words for all of you:
WITH LOVE
:cute:

Back
Top Bottom