Coldplay - Viva La Vida - Keep Talking.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I went the same night inte. Don't know if anyone's seen the second support act, and if it's been the same throughout the tour, but they were fucking terrible. Given, the music was okay (despite the fact it sound like they played the same song five times) but the frontman was a disgrace. Some of the worst vocals I've ever heard, completely wrecked the music, and his stage antics were so cheesy, so utterly pathetic and laughable that I didn't hear anyone even clap, except for when they went off. He made Chris Martin's lyrics look like Bob Dylan's, made his stage antics look reserved.

Now my rant's over, the concert was actually very very good. Didn't get Sleep Chant, which sucked, but the rest was great. Life in Technicolour 2 was a fantastic closer, Lost! got everyone pumping, Death and all His Friends was as good as I had hoped, Fix You was magical.

Still fell well short of U2's show, but I don't think I'll ever see a show better than that.,

I went the same night inte. Don't know if anyone's seen the second support act, and if it's been the same throughout the tour, but they were fucking terrible. Given, the music was okay (despite the fact it sound like they played the same song five times) but the frontman was a disgrace. Some of the worst vocals I've ever heard, completely wrecked the music, and his stage antics were so cheesy, so utterly pathetic and laughable that I didn't hear anyone even clap, except for when they went off. He made Chris Martin's lyrics look like Bob Dylan's, made his stage antics look reserved.

Now my rant's over, the concert was actually very very good. Didn't get Sleep Chant, which sucked, but the rest was great. Life in Technicolour 2 was a fantastic closer, Lost! got everyone pumping, Death and all His Friends was as good as I had hoped, Fix You was magical.

Still fell well short of U2's show, but I don't think I'll ever see a show better than that.,

I actually enjoed Mercury Rev's set. I swear I've heard some of their stuff before. The frontman looked dogy as (especially those drumming actions and the "I Am Strong" thing he did), but they made sense as a support act.

Fix You is terrible in the studio, but indeed magical live. Lovers In japan was incredible.

:yippie:

Coldplay in Edmonton! No word on the opening act. Please, please, please, please let it be Elbow. Please. :pray:

I first read this as "don't let it be Elbow", at which I nearly committed various hate crimes against Canadians. Then I re-read it and decided to only aim my Canadian hate crimes at Elfa.

In regards to Mercury Rev, their album Deserter's Songs won numerous "album of the year" awards when it came out (late '90's or early 2000 if I remember correctly). That is pretty much the exact reason I almost would rather have a shitty opener for U2 than someone I like, as it would kill me to hear people take a crap on someone I love. I don't even know Mercury Rev that well, and it hurt to read someone calling them "fucking terrible". Maybe they did have a bad show, but still. Ouch.

In regards to Mercury Rev, their album Deserter's Songs won numerous "album of the year" awards when it came out (late '90's or early 2000 if I remember correctly). That is pretty much the exact reason I almost would rather have a shitty opener for U2 than someone I like, as it would kill me to hear people take a crap on someone I love. I don't even know Mercury Rev that well, and it hurt to read someone calling them "fucking terrible". Maybe they did have a bad show, but still. Ouch.

Well, I thought they were pretty good....

Well, I thought they were pretty good....

:up:

In advance, I'd like to tell COBL to please not take offense to my comments. I've been to numerous shows where everyone but me thought it was great, so I have no issues with him not liking the performance. Everyone's got different tastes, it's all good. I was more just saying that I hold some band so near and dear, that it hurts to hear negative things about them, and thus I have mixed feelings about having someone I love open for another band I love. Re-reading my comments, I didn't think I got that across very well, and didn't want him to take offense, as none was intended.

:up:

In advance, I'd like to tell COBL to please not take offense to my comments. I've been to numerous shows where everyone but me thought it was great, so I have no issues with him not liking the performance. Everyone's got different tastes, it's all good. I was more just saying that I hold some band so near and dear, that it hurts to hear negative things about them, and thus I have mixed feelings about having someone I love open for another band I love. Re-reading my comments, I didn't think I got that across very well, and didn't want him to take offense, as none was intended.

None taken mates sorry to have been so strong, I didn't know they were well known. Again, I want to say that the drums, guitar, bass were pretty damn good. I just thought the singer had a voice which didn't suit, the lyrics were cheesy, and some of the stage moves (like standing on the upper stage, back faced to the crowd, doing all these really strange things with his arms) just made me cringe and laugh.

This is the second support act I'm talking about, so maybe there's a been a huge mixup. :hmm:

The first support act was Decoder Ring, kinda no-name Aussie act. who showed a bit.

Mercury Rev were the next support act, think they've been around for twenty odd years or so...I might start investigating them a bit.

Anyone know who is opening for Coldplay during the US leg of their tour this summer? I plan on seeing these guys in San Antonio on June 10th.

Coldplay Reveal North American Summer Tour | Pitchfork

oldplay dates:

02-11 Tokyo, Japan - Saitama Super Arena ^
02-12 Tokyo, Japan - Saitama Super Arena ^
02-14 Osaka, Japan - Kobe World Kinen Hall ^
02-15 Osaka, Japan - Kobe World Kinen Hall ^
02-18 London, England - Shepherds Bush Empire (War Child benefit) &
02-27 Perth, Australia - Burswood Dome
02-28 Perth, Australia - Burswood Dome
03-03 Melbourne, Australia - Rod Laver Arena
03-04 Melbourne, Australia - Rod Laver Arena
03-05 Melbourne, Australia - Rod Laver Arena
03-08 Brisbane, Australia - Entertainment Centre
03-09 Brisbane, Australia - Entertainment Centre
03-11 Sydney, Australia - Acer Arena
03-12 Sydney, Australia - Acer Arena
03-14 Sydney, Australia - Acer Arena
03-15 Sydney, Australia - Acer Arena
03-18 Auckland, New Zealand - Vector Arena
03-19 Auckland, New Zealand - Vector Arena
07-02 Arras, France - Main Square Festival
07-03 Werchter, Belgium - Rock Werchter
07-05 Roskilde, Denmark - Roskilde Festival
07-10 Portland, OR - The Amphitheater at Clark County !@
07-11 George, WA - The Gorge Amphitheatre !@
07-13 San Francisco, CA - Shoreline Amphitheatre !@
07-16 San Diego, CA - Cricket Wireless Amphitheatre !@
07-18 Carson, CA - Home Depot Center !@
07-21 Dallas, TX - Superpages.com Center !@
07-22 Houston, TX - Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion !@
07-24 Maryland Heights, MO - Verizon Wireless Amphitheater !@
07-25 East Troy, WI - Alpine Valley Music Theatre !%
07-29 Toronto, Ontario - TBD !%
08-03 Mansfield, MA - Comcast Center !%
08-06 Raleigh, NC - Time Warner Cable Music Pavilion !%
08-07 Charlotte, NC - Charlotte Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre !%
08-09 Tampa, FL - Ford Amphitheatre !%
08-16 Herning, Denmark - MCH Arena
08-19 Bergen, Norway - Koengen
08-22 Stockholm, Sweden - Olympic Stadium
08-25 Hanover, Germany - Hanover Stadium
08-27 Düsseldorf, Germany - LTU Arena
08-29 Munich, Germany - Reitstadion Riem
08-31 Udine, Italy - Stadio Friuli
09-02 Bern, Switzerland - Stade de Suisse
09-04 Barcelona, Spain - Estadi Olimpic
09-07 Paris, France - Parc des Princes
09-09 Nijmegen, Holland - Goffertpark
09-10 Nijmegen, Netherlands - Goffertpark
09-12 Manchester, England - LCCC *
09-14 Dublin, Ireland - Phoenix Park
09-16 Glasgow, Scotland - Hampden Park *
09-18 London, England - Wembley Stadium #
09-19 London, England - Wembley Stadium *

^ with Santogold
& with the Killers
! with Kitty, Daisy & Lewis
@ with Amadou & Mariam
% with Elbow
* with Jay-Z
# with Girls Aloud

OT: Coldplay anyone?

I have a pair of tickets to Coldplay at Alpine Valley in Wisconsin for 7-25. I got these before I knew I was going to Dublin the same weekend. These are actual seats (not lawn) as lawn at Alpine sucks. They are in section 201 row R so they are pretty decent. I paid $261.20 for the pair from Livenation and that's what I'm looking to get back. Either PM me or email at eltimbomofo@gmail.com I've been here since 2004 and have been a reliable trader through the last tour.

Thanks!

It was Mercury Rev. Sorry if I've offended anyone, I didn't know they were big. We as a crowd just didn't like them, people were laughing throughout, mostly thanks to moves like shwon in this video, at 2:31, and especially at 4:08. They played this song.

Wow that song was shitty.

coldplay

Good morning. We're pleased to announce that Coldplay will be giving away a live CD, LeftRightLeftRightLeft, at every remaining live show in 2009 (apart from festival shows). Starting with the band's first North American tour date, at West Palm Beach in Florida on May 15th, every fan attending a show will be given a free copy of the nine-track CD, which won't be available elsewhere. Also on May 15th, LeftRightLeftRightLeft will be made available as a free download right here at Coldplay.com, for all fans (and for the same time period).

According to the band, the give-away is meant as a recession-busting mark of gratitude to everyone who's supported them: "Playing live is what we love. This album is a thank you to our fans – the people who give us a reason to do it and make it happen."

The album was recorded over the past year in various cities around the world on the Viva La Vida tour. Its tracklisting is as follows:

1. Glass of Water
2. 42
3. Clocks
4. Strawberry Swing
5. The Hardest Part/Postcards From Far Away
6. Viva La Vida
7. Death Will Never Conquer
8. Fix You
9. Death And All His Friends

art_leftrightleftrightleft.jpg

Free = I like

Yeah, I saw that. A free CD. They're such nice guys. :up:

I actually thought about bumping this today for a couple of different reasons.

1. I was watching their live concert from Tokyo on my HD music channel and was very impressed with it...looked like a great show. Kinda wish I had gone to see them this time around. But I saw 'em in support of X and Y so I can't complain too much. One thing in particular that I thought was really cool was their little hybrid performance of "God Put A Smile On Your Face" and "Talk." They blended the two songs together and performed them at the same time. It was nice. Did they do this at the any of the shows you guys saw?

2. Cat Stevens is claiming that the band ripped Viva La Vida off of one of his old songs, "Foreigner Suite." That marks the third different artist in a year to claim that Coldplay stole the song Viva La Vida from them. First it was that small-time indie band (can't remember their name), then it was Satriani, and now Cat Stevens. That's gotta be some kind of record.

Cat Stevens: 'Coldplay stole my song!' | News | NME.COM

1. I'm pretty sure they did that combo at most of the shows.
2. Coldplay actually stole the entire Viva La Vida album from a concept album I wrote about Velveeta cheese slices called "Viva Velveeta". I didn't sue them as I'm super classy.

1. Glass of Water
2. 42
3. Clocks
4. Strawberry Swing
5. The Hardest Part/Postcards From Far Away
6. Viva La Vida
7. Death Will Never Conquer
8. Fix You
9. Death And All His Friends

Only 9 tracks, but as a freebie, one can't really complain.

Strawberry Swing is still magical.:drool:

Glass Of Water is decent live....

I was a wee bit disappointed that this release isn't coinciding with LeftRightLeftRightLeft the song, which was mooted as a possible track prior to the release of VLVODAAHF. It didn't appear on Prospekt's March either.

Also, has anyone heard The Goldrush yet? Was a b-side to LIT II, yet can't find anything anywhere. 'Tis sung by Will, so the anti-Chris Martin brigade might enjoy some Martin-less Coldplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom