Brandenburg Gate setlist predictions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lately we're seeing that rumored hip/hop influence from a few year's back in Bono moonlighting as a freestyle rapper... and I like it.

There was no "wall", only a fence, and it was opened before the show started. Enough of this bullsh**t already. People are trying to turn a good and positive event into something negative. This coming from the Guardian is no surprise, considering the anti-U2 politics they've had for years. Really no use to quote this newspaper. All the news here have got over this ridiculous "wall" story. In the end what remains is the great performance and symbolic gesture.

damn they took down that pro shot quality version of One....anyone have another link?

There was no "wall", only a fence, and it was opened before the show started. Enough of this bullsh**t already. People are trying to turn a good and positive event into something negative. This coming from the Guardian is no surprise, considering the anti-U2 politics they've had for years. Really no use to quote this newspaper. All the news here have got over this ridiculous "wall" story. In the end what remains is the great performance and symbolic gesture.

An English newspaper suddenly coming out in support for the oppressed Germans is quite an interesting experience, though. ;)

They really should get a grip. It was a non-issue here, so why make it one abroad?

It's a non-issue here. Yes, the irony is not lost on us either. But we don't whine and complain for days about it. Stupid move by MTV, corrected before the show. That's it. MTV apparently didn't think far when they did it.
It was a fence with some white blankets to blind them. Pretty far from an actual wall. As we say here, leave the church in town.
Dividing the area in A and B is a far greater issue than that. Or eventim screwing up so badly many people missed out on tickets even though having been on the website at 9am.

u2 made the front page of the guardian today for being assholes, well done lads.

Just a small quote from that article "The organisers of the event, the music network MTV, erected a two-metre high "sight barrier" to exclude those without one of 10,000 free tickets from catching a glimpse of the band"

So yes MTV erected a wall, so that makes U2 assholes, mr negative strikes again hey.

No, it wasn't a wall, like VV has already stated, and people could still see through it. I guess some people just like negativity.

On my part, I think it was great, but then again, U2 usually is. For me it felt like they were just holding up their part of the deal which was 20 mins - no more. I don't know. I expected a lot more from U2 but then again the audience didn't ask for an encore.

Also, I chose dohner over Bono that day. Will never forget it or live it down.

It's a non-issue here. Yes, the irony is not lost on us either. But we don't whine and complain for days about it.

So, if George W. Bush did it, and this was FYM, you would whine for days about it, but since it was U2, you just want it to go away because you like them and you don't want to hear about it?

So, if George W. Bush did it, and this was FYM, you would whine for days about it, but since it was U2, you just want it to go away because you like them and you don't want to hear about it?

Don't drag the political chip on your shoulder into this thread. Sheesh.

I can't believe this has gotten so much attention. Yeah, it was a dumb move. Definitely an ironic one. But guess what? They (whoever "they" were - MTV? U2? I don't know - I wasn't involved in the planning) agreed it wasn't a good idea and took the barrier down before the concert.

End of freaking story.

And Keith Olbermann is an irritating blowhard who thinks he's the new Edward R. Murrow, so I can't even spare the effort of rolling my eyes at him.

how dare they want to avoid the risk of crushing people to death!

what bastards.

This is quite the bullshit lame excuse. When I was at the UVA concert with some friends and none of us got tickets, what did we do but sit up on the hill where we could see inside the stadium. Lots of people did it but nobody got crushed. I do not believe this is the reason the fence was erected. If it were, even more would be crushed if they pressed against the fence and it collapsed, causing those who got knocked down to be stampeded by those who were pushing from behind. So no I don't believe that was the reason.

Anything that gets the lead story on Yahoo is going to get a lot of attention.

Well, of course. It's just that most sources failed to follow-up on the story to say "Oh, they took it down" because then they have nothing to clutch their pearls and yell ONOZ OMG about.

This is quite the bullshit lame excuse. When I was at the UVA concert with some friends and none of us got tickets, what did we do but sit up on the hill where we could see inside the stadium. Lots of people did it but nobody got crushed. Okay U2 is perfect never mind! :rolleyes:

yeah, because that's totally the same thing.

and where did i say u2 were perfect? maybe you should go back to, you know, not posting. i see you're completely ignoring the other posts on the issue which provide even more reasonable explanations. i guess anything more than a paragraph is too difficult to respond to?

Could you back up your assuming here with actual quotes of me ever doing that? No? Oh, well then...
But thanks. I don't know where you get that from, but it's nice to hear. :|
When Bush came to Germany the protection measures were insane. But it wasn't Bush, it was the Secret Service that requested that. Back then, I certainly voiced my contempt with turning a city into a high security prison for his short visit. I didn't whine and complain about it back then, though. Just said it was ridiculous. Same when news came out how helicopters were surprised to fly over Sydney to use some technic which would block every cell phone for the area around his limousine.
I don't care that it was U2. Especially since this silly blinded fence was put up by MTV, not U2. And they were responsible for the gig. I just tell you the third time: Here in Berlin, or Germany in general, we don't fucking care about this stupid issue. We do not. Period.
Where would I want it to go anyway? As I said, it's a non-issue over here. That means, it is not even present. If something is not present, it cannot go away.

And Keith Olbermann is an irritating blowhard who thinks he's the new Edward R. Murrow, so I can't even spare the effort of rolling my eyes at him.

Oh my goodness, don't say he dedicated a special comment to this nonsense or something. :crack:
Was MTV named the worst person on earth?

This is quite the bullshit lame excuse. When I was at the UVA concert with some friends and none of us got tickets, what did we do but sit up on the hill where we could see inside the stadium. Lots of people did it but nobody got crushed. I do not believe this is the reason the fence was erected. If it were, even more would be crushed if they pressed against the fence and it collapsed, causing those who got knocked down to be stampeded by those who were pushing from behind. So no I don't believe that was the reason.

The blinding was only at the side of the bakery, Starbucks and Dunkin' Donuts. Up to when the gig started. Official excuse was otherwise people would block the entrances to those shops. So to avoid that the fence got blinded on that side and that side only. When U2 did the soundcheck in the afternoon people used the chairs of the Starbucks to look over the fence.
What do you believe to be the reason, then?

Vincent, be quiet and let people who've never been to Germany tell you how Germans such as yourself should feel.

That's the way this is meant to work. :happy:

Oh my goodness, don't say he dedicated a special comment to this nonsense or something. :crack:
Was MTV named the worst person on earth?

Oh, no. It was U2 who got ol' Olbie's wrath. They were one of the worst people in the world that day! :panic:

When U2 did the soundcheck in the afternoon people used the chairs of the Starbucks to look over the fence.
What do you believe to be the reason, then?

ZOMG U2 hates Starbucks! U2 hates corporate America! :panic:

yeah, can we please keep the thread on topic? this thread is only to discuss the gig's setlist. one or two posts is okay of course but this thread is starting to stray. thanks.

Back
Top Bottom